Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

8s with a 347??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your car at its current weight and CI, with an S88, 8's would not be a problem at all.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its always for sale, all someone needs is a pickup truck, trailer and 240 (real preferably) hundred dollar bills and they can take the car, both blowers, misc spare parts, extra DOT rear wheels/tires and take it home with them. I'll even throw five gallons of fresh C16 in the car so you can stop at a track and race it on the way home - even waxed it last week.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always been worried that I would put alot of money in my car and get it to the point I want it to be and then get bored with, decide to sell, and then look back at the amount of money that I lost and feel bad. I have seen quite a few people lately getting rid of their cars and it makes me wonder....
Old 08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I have ~40K in the car and I never spent a dime on labor (except for the short block machining/assembly). Buy good parts the first time and then you dont have to worry about it down the road.

Could be done for less but if you want all the safety stuff to be legal to run it to 8.50 and do it week after week it adds up quick. I have owned this car for almost three years, been in several magazines, won quite a few races with it, never had to be pushed on the trailer, even drove it to the store for milk the other day. But I would like to get back into a tube chassied big tire car again.

For me its a hobby, I know guys that spend more then me golfing in a year, all hobbies cost money with little money in return for what you spend and race cars are no different. If you do it for a living then its not a hobby and you have to worry about bottom line, bottom line for me is when I strap myself in for those few seconds I forget about everything that bothers me - thats what its all about. Unfortunately drag racing is all about going faster so boredom is just part of the game
Old 08-28-2007, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

my buddy works for a tuning company in jacksonville and one of his boss's client's had a 7 second mustang he got bored of. his boss has a tt gt, and he said after a certain amount of time in a fast car, everything else just seeems slow and after a longer time in a fast car it becomes mundane
Old 08-28-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kp
I have ~40K in the car and I never spent a dime on labor (except for the short block machining/assembly). Buy good parts the first time and then you dont have to worry about it down the road.

Could be done for less but if you want all the safety stuff to be legal to run it to 8.50 and do it week after week it adds up quick. I have owned this car for almost three years, been in several magazines, won quite a few races with it, never had to be pushed on the trailer, even drove it to the store for milk the other day. But I would like to get back into a tube chassied big tire car again.

For me its a hobby, I know guys that spend more then me golfing in a year, all hobbies cost money with little money in return for what you spend and race cars are no different. If you do it for a living then its not a hobby and you have to worry about bottom line, bottom line for me is when I strap myself in for those few seconds I forget about everything that bothers me - thats what its all about. Unfortunately drag racing is all about going faster so boredom is just part of the game

I understand getting bored with a specific setup or whatever. I thought you meant you were getting bored with racing. My car was all but gutted when I bought it because I knew what was going to happen to it anyway. I would like to get into a street car with a turbo or something but I will end up in the same situation...because I would get bored with the car. So I completely understand. Anyway, sorry to get off topic.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Its your thread so you can get off topic

Its a valid concern though when talking about building a car.

I doubt I will sell this one complete, most people would rather build there own then go buy one running and most likely I will just start taking off parts and selling them when I'm ready to get rid of it. I'd hate to see someone get hurt in the car, its paid for and doesnt cost anything just sitting there so its cheaper to keep it around. But I have lost most of the drive to make it any faster and invest any more money in it, that just happens over time. I'll fix what breaks/wears out and keep it around, you really cant find a decent low 9 second streetable anything that doesnt **** off the neighbors for 20-25K these days. But if someone came by with the money I would sell it, I just hate dealing with selling cars like this so I wont advertise it.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's nice to have a 9 second street car, go shopping with it and pick your girl up for a date... However, that huge tired car with a tub chasis with dual chutes on the back and people knowin you'll rip a 6-7 second pass is bit more appealing... Im pretty certain kp shouldnt get bored with a rocket like that... I feel him, I'm already bored with my setup... I might squeak a 9.29-9.3x out of her when it gets F-in cold in Mich, but whoop dee doo... The car has sat and collected dust since bristol...

Anywho, be sure to check the Detroit Pinks All Out next thursday @ 9pm... And look at that 40+ k crowd... Yee Haw

J
Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blownramair
It's nice to have a 9 second street car, go shopping with it and pick your girl up for a date... However, that huge tired car with a tub chasis with dual chutes on the back and people knowin you'll rip a 6-7 second pass is bit more appealing... Im pretty certain kp shouldnt get bored with a rocket like that... I feel him, I'm already bored with my setup... I might squeak a 9.29-9.3x out of her when it gets F-in cold in Mich, but whoop dee doo... The car has sat and collected dust since bristol...

Anywho, be sure to check the Detroit Pinks All Out next thursday @ 9pm... And look at that 40+ k crowd... Yee Haw

J
I've run tube chassied cars before and got pretty bored, well mostly sick of the hassle of running a fast car, its all just a cycle. But the main thing for me is light weight and safety. I know you can fast with small tires but you also see a lot of small tire cars end up in the wall.

I would really like to take this engine/blower and just put it in a 2000 pound tube car, be a great low maintenance fast car, but fairly useless. I just havent found an appealing roller yet or I would have done it
Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I will stick with my plan. If I get bored then, I will worry about it then. Thanks alot for the feedback on everything KP.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:52 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Just rambling, been through the street car>street/strip car>race car> REAL race car thing about a dozen times. Even had most of an alcohol funny car at one time lol. As long as you are having fun what does it matter, some guys can have fun at the track bracket racing a VW bug and other's idea of fun is a top fuel car. Some have fun sitting in a lawn chair next to their show car and some have fun racing on the highway..

So worrying about getting bored before its done is putting the apple before the cart so to speak. I can find a dozen other ways to talk you out of building any kind of race car, boredom when finished is pretty far down on the list
Old 08-28-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear you. Im not bored with it now so I have put that behind me. On to forced induction
Old 08-28-2007, 02:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Heck do a D1 setup like Kevin, the SDCE tensioner, etc., his combo is real strong.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I have thought about that. I just hate to copy someone's setup exactly. I want it to be somewhat different. I was thinking about a F series blower. I may still go with the 408 option. It all just depends on how everything goes. I am selling a house that I built and stand to make a little on it and want to get my car where I want it. I have been looking at both the D1SC and the F series. I will figure something out.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I did forget to mention the S91 is also an option as its available now. They are spooling around the same as an S88 and still yield even more power....
Old 08-28-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
I did forget to mention the S91 is also an option as its available now. They are spooling around the same as an S88 and still yield even more power....
How about a turbonetics 101?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:20 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I dont think a D1 will get you there unless its a light car, the F1A I have makes a decent amount of boost more but I just havent caught a good track and weather day yet with it. I have not even came close to maxing it out yet so I cant say what its capable of.

Turbo is always an option, but i havent seen any single turbo 8 second 3400lb 347 LS1 cars either. But I think PSJ is the only one out there that has a 347/single thats capable right now of running in the 8s. I have seen plenty of SBC and SBF mid-low 8 and seven second fairly heavy turbo cars but an F1R SBF has run in the 7s too.

Ohio boys are almost in the 7s with a 370 so thats close enough to show the potential of a well setup car. I'm sure if they put a 347 in theirs it may even beat Harlan's record
Old 08-28-2007, 07:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by PHIL H
How about a turbonetics 101?
Will make power, but you can forget spooling it anytime soon....lol
Old 08-28-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kp
I dont think a D1 will get you there unless its a light car, the F1A I have makes a decent amount of boost more but I just havent caught a good track and weather day yet with it. I have not even came close to maxing it out yet so I cant say what its capable of.

Turbo is always an option, but i havent seen any single turbo 8 second 3400lb 347 LS1 cars either. But I think PSJ is the only one out there that has a 347/single thats capable right now of running in the 8s. I have seen plenty of SBC and SBF mid-low 8 and seven second fairly heavy turbo cars but an F1R SBF has run in the 7s too.

Ohio boys are almost in the 7s with a 370 so thats close enough to show the potential of a well setup car. I'm sure if they put a 347 in theirs it may even beat Harlan's record

Well my car was 2967 before adding the other suspension pieces....kmemeber, a-arms, etc.. So it may be lighter now. And I am thinking about pulling all of the wiring and installing a custom harness, hood, and some other pieces. So that should save some more weight. It is a very light car.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

good luck with the goals tn94... Glad to see you kept the car and decided to come over to the darkside. If you ever need a hand turning wrenches and I'm home on leave... just drop me a PM. I don't have as lofty goals but I can turn a wrench for beer!

Quick Reply: 8s with a 347??