Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

best head studs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had nothing but bad luck with the cometics on my syclone. i kept having trouble with the back two cylinders, even with the boost down at 12-15lbs. that was iron block and iron heads, all had freshly been surfaced and with arp studs. maybe just try a different gasket.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a set of ARP2000 head studs from ARP for $375.
Their tech guy Jay mentioned that the L19 material is prone to
hydrogen embrittlement which means they can develop cracks and
break as a result of internal stress fractures from rust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_embrittlement

He said the ARP 2000 material is much stronger than the
standard 8740 material, but not quite as strong as the L19's.
ARP suggested that if you have a street driven car, where it is impractical to remove the head studs for frequent inspection, that the ARP2000 studs will
live a much longer life.
I think they have a few more sets left.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
i had the heads surfaced and they still blew out in one run. this time i am going to go with new head studs and recheck the trueness of the heads. we are also going to check the head material. we were told by afr that we want 100 "rockwell" and that 90 was geting too low.

block is iron, studs wouldn't pull out of that would they?

can you check the block deck with it in the truck still?
Checking block with a straight edge should suffice, although it would be odd for an iron block to warp.
I doubt studs would pull out of iron either.

I would have thought the smoother the finish on the heads, the better ?? and indeed the block ? especially with MLS type gaskets.

I know many dont seem to like them...but have you considered trying some of the ICS Titan gaskets ?
Some people have had bad luck with them, but there are some success stories too.

At this point, although its a lot of hassle to try.....its easier than machining work for rings etc. And normal gaskets seem to be blowing anyway ?
Old 09-01-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Don't waste your money on these super expensive head studs. The clamping force is not the problem. Your not stretching out your studs. We have been doing this for years and have never blown out a gasket. Get rid of the Cometics. I've told you what works for us. I could run 20psi thru full exhaust. Run a high 8 in full street trim which was close to 3800lbs and not push a drop of water.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:21 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
Don't waste your money on these super expensive head studs. The clamping force is not the problem. Your not stretching out your studs. We have been doing this for years and have never blown out a gasket. Get rid of the Cometics. I've told you what works for us. I could run 20psi thru full exhaust. Run a high 8 in full street trim which was close to 3800lbs and not push a drop of water.
Mind telling us again for those of us who've missed it?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex @ CMS
A1 fasteners, they can make a stock diameter stud that will take 140lb/ft tq.
I am running a set of A1 head studs. Car has seen 18psi (145) on the track, but I have never run North of that so I don't want to say my combo is waterproof until it runs like 155mph.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

oddly...although every combo is different.

I ran stock GM MLS, regular ARP studs to 80lbft with pump fuel/meth for over a year, and had no HG issues until my meth stopped working one day.

Thats almost 10k, maybe 70+ passes of varying ET's and speeds, but a good few close to 150mph.

Hopefully my freshen up will go better, and be equally as reliable.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:40 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

And I would listen to the OH Boys, been there done that for them. I think the Cometics are problematic but see what folks say.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe that's something they told you. The ARP guy told me $419 + S&H, but there'd be a 2-3 week waiting period as they didn't / were out of stock (don't remember exactly) of the L19 material.
Thats odd..My buddy called, and asked for the L19 head studs for the LS1 motor, and they said that they couldn't sell us them..hmmm.. Has anyone ordered them directly from ARP?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

I am running L-19's on mine. Made sure I coated them good with lube when I installed them. Toruqed them to 90. The only parts that are exposed to moisture would be the tip of the stud. Mine have been in for a year now and no signs of corrosion or anything. I have yet to put boost to it tho

Gettin there.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
Thats odd..My buddy called, and asked for the L19 head studs for the LS1 motor, and they said that they couldn't sell us them..hmmm.. Has anyone ordered them directly from ARP?
Yes I ordered them directly from ARP with no problems.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Mind telling us again for those of us who've missed it?
I think this is it...

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
You don't need 6 bolt heads. Your log manifolds are fine. Run the #8 plugs. Oring the heads and run GM MLS gaskets.

What does your timing look like when the boost is ramping in? The torque load on that thing is crazy. There may be your problem.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:27 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkHwk
I am running L-19's on mine. Made sure I coated them good with lube when I installed them. Toruqed them to 90. The only parts that are exposed to moisture would be the tip of the stud. Mine have been in for a year now and no signs of corrosion or anything. I have yet to put boost to it tho

Gettin there.
How often do you drive the car? I didn't know about this until someone mentioned it. I also live a block away from the beach and the land of 90%+ every day humidity.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the other variable at work in head sealing is the heads themselves...AFR mentioned to Parish that he wants to be at a hardness of 100 rockwell...what about deck thickness differences between the aftermarket heads some guys are running, and the GM castings other guys are running? Thats gotta be a good part of the issue as well.

I'm curious to try to figure out what to do as I'm getting ready to start assembling my boosted iron block 370, and I want to learn from as many other people's experiences as I can before I jump in and do it.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
How often do you drive the car? I didn't know about this until someone mentioned it. I also live a block away from the beach and the land of 90%+ every day humidity.

Not very, I don't even have 1k miles on the new motor yet.