Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

800HP Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008 | 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

LOL at the alternator pulley. The same thing happened on my work truck one night. Why the **** are they designed where the direction of rotation is the same as unscrewing the nut?
Old 04-13-2008 | 06:53 PM
On The Tree

I know its pretty freaking lame

Guys, here are som epics. Sorry the car was super dirty... Detailing tomorrow. Its not done yet, Methanol/Water injection is left and also some cleaning up id dtill left.

Finally got rid of the long intake... S&B box had to be heavily modified to fit, but now fits nicely. I have another one that I will exchange... will be able to do it better 2nd time around. Added the Catch CAN.

Apologize for the filth. Had just added transmission fluid...

BAttery and stuff moved to the left side....

S&B is erally a nice kit...

The freaking pulley flew off once. Lock tight was not enough, had it spot welded.

Sorry again about the mess, better pics in a couple of days.....

Running the Whipple at 13psi with 13 degrees of timing. Will go down to 7. Little bit at a time.

I ordered Black ones, but got Red, did not want to mess with them.

I was contemplating going to a 12 rib pulley but decided to settle on 10

AFR 225 with 72cc Chambers. 10cc over stock with 8.5:1 ceramic coated pistons. Leaves room to run up to 15 psi no problem. Will be adding a meth injection from Snow perfromance for full throttle and very hot days

This took a long time. The washer fulid reservoir and other stuff moved.

Here you see the pan of the 4L80. Nothing much more you could see.

The drive shafts for both front and rear are much beefier than stock and U joints are also very thick.

Installed two B&M tranny coolers. The damn thermo switch on them works real crappy, bypassed it. Have to figure something out here. any suggestions? Can I get a reading from the PCM and and trigger a relay with it or just leave it on the whole time?

Freaking 4L80 still gets hot. I am thinking of getting one of Oil Pans with tubes in them to flow air. anyone haveexperience with them?

Ron Davis made the intercooler for me. I had it made as large as possible. thinking about painting it black. Wondering if it will degrade its prformance... any suggestions on a good paint that conducts heat well?

Here you can see where the wheels have been widened. Did this myself, we do it for bikes all the time.

Old 04-16-2008 | 06:46 AM
TECH Addict

some amazing engineering work therre! what a great build.
Old 04-16-2008 | 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Thanks... took way longer than it should have...
Old 04-16-2008 | 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

bad *** work, looks very nice
Old 04-20-2008 | 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Its pretty loud when you get on it, I guess thats one thing the Turbos have over the blowers, is they are quiet.
Old 04-21-2008 | 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

thinking about painting it black. Wondering if it will degrade its prformance... any suggestions on a good paint that conducts heat well?
Hey Reza,

I painted my FMIC lightly with Eastwood Radiator Black that is thermally conducting and it worked great - made the IC disappear.

Truck looks great.

Jim
Old 04-21-2008 | 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Sexyy
Old 04-21-2008 | 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, just ordered some of the paint...

Thanks z28 !
Old 04-22-2008 | 01:43 PM
Launching!

427? what kind of Intake did you use?
Old 04-22-2008 | 01:47 PM
On The Tree

INtake, you mean Heads? AFR, Intake manifold came with Whipple. Running a 90mm T-Body.
Old 04-22-2008 | 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Wow amazing build man, looks like a blast to drive! Question though, you went back to stock manifolds, no cats, and stock exhaust? Isnt that choking the hell out of the engine? Just wondering as you might be better off with the headers, no cats, and maybe a large diesle turboback exhaust as I know they flow exceptionally well and are relatively quiet.
Old 04-22-2008 | 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Well I have the shorty headers, went back to stock Y Pipe with stock Cats. I lost probably 35HP or so easily but the Corsa was freaking loud when you got on it even though it had no resonance.

I have not looked at the diesle turboback exhaust, can you be more specific about it?

Reza
Old 04-22-2008 | 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bismarck
Well I have the shorty headers, went back to stock Y Pipe with stock Cats. I lost probably 35HP or so easily but the Corsa was freaking loud when you got on it even though it had no resonance.

I have not looked at the diesle turboback exhaust, can you be more specific about it?

Reza
DON'T DO IT!!! If you think the Corsa is loud you'll friggin drive it off a cliff with the Dmax exhaust. I had one on my truck when i had a turbo and it was insane. No cats and full 4" all the way back. LOUD!!!!
Old 04-22-2008 | 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

this is sweet, i want one!
Old 04-22-2008 | 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
DON'T DO IT!!! If you think the Corsa is loud you'll friggin drive it off a cliff with the Dmax exhaust. I had one on my truck when i had a turbo and it was insane. No cats and full 4" all the way back. LOUD!!!!
Its got to be quieter than what he was running before no? I mean no exhaust is going to be "quiet" on a 427 with a 3.3 whipple...its pushing so much exhaust gas out of that setup that it will be loud regardless. I just dont see the advantage of choking out a setup like that with the wrong exhaust. Maybe throw some of the new magnaflow cats in there that supposed flow so well its almost like they are not there and then go with a diesle turboback exhaust? I know from your posts you thought it was too loud, which is understandable, but do you have any sound clips? JW as I love big HP trucks/suv's like yours and this escalade and would like to see him make as much power as possible.
Old 04-22-2008 | 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Corsa was qiet under cruise but man when you got on it, it was really raspy. I am thinking about running another stock muffler where the spare is and getting rid of the spare. The stock muffler as two large pipes in and two large pipes out. After the muffler they merge into one and then shrink into the outlet. I am thinking of cutting it after the muffler and bringing both to the tail....

If I really opened up this exhaust it would add 50HP easily but I like the quiet.... so as long as I can manage more flow while keeping it peaceful, I am all for it.
Old 04-22-2008 | 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

something else to consider is Dynamat. I'm planning to dynamat my entire truck at some point in the future. I love the way my corsa sounds outside the truck but I don't want to hear it while driving. I have Random Technologies cats on mine. W2W said they are way better than any other high flow cats available.
Old 04-22-2008 | 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Do you have a link to Dynamat? Does it go inside or out?
Old 04-22-2008 | 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.dynamat.com/products_auto...roduction.html

Quick Reply: 800HP Project