Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

800HP Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your trans cooling issues I would look into Setrab coolers. They are the same thing all the NASCAR teams use. The real Art Carr turned me on to them a long time ago. Surprised the hell out of how much more efficient they are.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Anti-Vnm
For your trans cooling issues I would look into Setrab coolers. They are the same thing all the NASCAR teams use. The real Art Carr turned me on to them a long time ago. Surprised the hell out of how much more efficient they are.
Thank, A link would be great...
Old 04-23-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
something else to consider is Dynamat. I'm planning to dynamat my entire truck at some point in the future. I love the way my corsa sounds outside the truck but I don't want to hear it while driving. I have Random Technologies cats on mine. W2W said they are way better than any other high flow cats available.
Dynamat does work wonders. We pulled up my buddies entire carpet and installed dynamat on the entire interior and it really kept the interior noise down. He was running a g5x3 cam on stock heads through kooks longtubes, ory, and no plate in his adjustable borla catback and it was real loud but with the dynamat it kept a lot of the resonance and noise out. Still wasnt quiet inside the car but really toned it down. Dynamat is real expensive though and there is another company out there that has a similar product for cheaper than dynamat and they are supposed to be just as good. the website is:

http://www.b-quiet.com/

I havent used it but have heard good reviews. Back to the catback though, if you were to use two of the random tech or magnaflow cats (whichever flow better) and then maybe have a custom dual exhaust made running either two or 4 magnaflow mufflers (2 cats before the x-pipe, 2 oval mufflers right after the x-pipe and then two of the normal square ones right before the exhaust exits the rear) you should have a really good flowing system with a nice deep sound to it. I am pretty sure there is someone on the board with this setup and it really kept it quiet while flowing well. The diesel turboback I like is this one:

http://www.truckstuffusa.com/chevyca...magnaflow.html

my buddy has it on his duramax and it is really refined.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Thanks.... The Dynamt is just way too much work for a large SUV. Also the Escalade has more trim than Tahoe, etc. MAn that would be a huge project w hich I probably will not undertake.

The exhaust though, I will continue to look into. I have to come up wioth a reasonable solution. I wish they had some dynamt type of stuff that would go in the hood on the firewall and under the car, rather than inside. Ther eis so much stuff in this car that to pull it off and go with a dynamat would just be impossible.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Go with rammat if you do dampen, asphalt dampener is old news. This is the good stuff for cheap.

Last edited by BloWNMind; 04-24-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Thanks will give it a shot. I have to find a shop to do this for me, its more than I could do....
Old 04-26-2008, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Well Added a 2nd tranny oil cooler. Actually a third. I got the true cool

NUMBER OF PLATES......................................13
COOLER SIZE..........................8 1/2" X 22" X 1 1/4"
GVW RATING............................................ .40,000
BTU RATING............................................ ...45,000

Put it behind the two B&Ms with fan. Running the oil through this one first, then in parallel with the two B&Ms. While it was at 175 most of the time, I could tell it would get hot in 100 degree days.

We'll see how it does. I thought i Would be done in two hours, man took me freakin 7 hours to do. I hate R & D, now that I figured out how to make it all work, it would have taken me less than two hours....
Old 05-17-2008, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE:

Ordered a new pulley set, going to a 8.5" ATI harmonic damper instead of the 7.5" on the car now. Needed to change the water pump to Evans to be able to go to a different pulley (smaller so the damper would fit). While at it, going to a 12-rib pulley set instead of the 10 that is on right now. So had to get a new alternator pulley and a new power steering pulley.

Will be able to go to 18psi now with the new setup. Added the Methanol injection system.

Modifying the B&M pan to have tubes going through it like the Derale oil pan. Did not like the quality of Derale. Stamped steel...

Will update as it evolves.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

so ATI is making you a 8.5" 12-rib crank pulley? Who's making all of the other 12 rib pulleys?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Terry at South Florida Pulleys is helping me out with the rest. His turn around and prices are way better than ATI.

http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com

wyd_trkr@bellsouth.net

Last edited by Bismarck; 05-18-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
so ATI is making you a 8.5" 12-rib crank pulley? Who's making all of the other 12 rib pulleys?
How do you like your Random Tech CATS? which ones did you go with. Thinking of swapping the CATS but keeping stock muffler. Had the Corsa Touring, too loud for my ears.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bismarck
How do you like your Random Tech CATS? which ones did you go with. Thinking of swapping the CATS but keeping stock muffler. Had the Corsa Touring, too loud for my ears.
I'm not exactly sure what cats they are. I know they were $500. Kinda wish I didn't get any at all. I like them just fine. no issues as far as i can tell.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

A few updates here on this long winded project:

1) Added Methanol Injection
2) Added Dynomax HiIgh flow CATS again
3) Removed the 2 into 1 pipe after the muffler and ran two pipes straight out. WOW what a difference
4) Now running 3.0" 10-rib pulley on the Whipple, for 15psi
5) On order is a 8.5" crank pulley 12-rib to settle around 18psi - Switching to a 12-rib setup
6) added Evans cooling water pump what a difference

Car is running A LOT stronger. From a dead stop, when I floor it, it breaks all 4 325 tires loosefor about two wheel turns before it grips completely.

Failed attempts: 100mm Throttle body. This was a hope I had, but the ones out there are an absolute nightmare to dial in due to their contour for dialing in. Went with a porten 90mm .

Whipple Shortcoming: Definitely the tensioner setup is a major problem. I am working with Whipple to fix this problem, but its an absolute PITA.

Successes: Finally found a killer belt, Gates HD belt series with a green back. These are for trucks. These belts are amazing.

Left to do: Put an exhause valve to change from two straight pipes to a 2 into 1 as there is a resonance at 2000RPM with two straight pipes.

- Change to a sheet metal intake from ST Motorsports
- switch to speed density tuning
- Thicker intercooler
- 4.0L Supercharger from Whipple in 3 months - current one is 3.3

Gas mileage, 12mpg @80 on the freeway, around 10mpg in the city
Old 11-10-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Bismarck,

What kind of power are you getting now? Any dyno sheets?

How are you planning to put alonger blower in there when you barely have room for an air inlet on the 200AX? The 4.0ltr. blower is almost 2 inches longer.

I've always liked your project and would like any details or updates.

Jim
Old 11-12-2008, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

I am changing the short block to the LSX and going with 9.5:1 compression pistons, the displacement will be 482 so about 1100cc more. Keeping the 3.3L, with 9.5:1 it should be fine.

No dyno sheets.... hard to find a 4 wheel dyno.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2000TurboVert
That is a BAD *** Project!!

I can just see Money Signs!!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Well said! Nice!
Old 11-13-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Cool, those big cubes should help that heavy beast. What was the crank pulley size before you went to the 8.5"

Jim
Old 01-04-2009, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

I had the 7.5" 10 rib. This one is 8.5 12-rib

Quick Reply: 800HP Project