Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin A2W intercoolers Vs 1 Big A2W

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin A2W intercoolers Vs 1 Big A2W

In a twin setup is there any advantage to doing one over the other.

The example being Twin 76's on a 408.

I can do Twin 1000Hp Intercoolers By Chisseld performance or a larger 2000 or 3000 hp unit.

i am thinking the packaging would be much easier mounting the intercoolers under the headlights and then making a 3" to 4" y to the Throttle body.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is plumbing your only concern?
Old 09-14-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know Harlan had two back in the day......
but most just Y- the turbo feeds togeather and use one big intercooler.
My buddy uses one PT3000 for twin GT47-88's on a 430ci motor
Old 09-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Launching!

I figured it would be less piping running through the engine bay, the large A2W is still something im lookin into. i still think i could save weight by using 2 smaller ones vs a 55lb dry unit.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lucked out and found a large air to water intercooler that was for twin turbos when I was starting to buy all the stuff for my a2w setup. Every once in awhile you can find them on there if you didn't want to Y the stuff together. I couldn't imagine all the plumbing and fittings to run 2 of them, even if they were smaller units!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Twin A2W intercoolers Vs 1 Big A2W-intercooler-pic-5.jpg   Twin A2W intercoolers Vs 1 Big A2W-intercooler-2.jpg  
Old 09-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Launching!

W2W ran twins on the Pump Gas Drag entry they had.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Bump For Y2kHawk, 427, Or any other turbo guy.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

never ran one but looks like that would be twice the chances for leaks and problems. sometimes less is more. i would keep it simple as you can.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

alot of guys just use a pt3000 and y it together before the intercooler inlet this same combo has ran in the 6's plenty of times. It would seem that in the end, the difference in weight of the extra intercooler, water, plumbing, and intake piping would be heavier as well.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

I do not see the point of running two A2W coolers. You are going to double the amount of plumbing and hardware( pumps, radiators, etc ). Do it right the first time and go with a large A2W intercooler, radiator, and pump.

Keith
Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1290
I do not see the point of running two A2W coolers. You are going to double the amount of plumbing and hardware( pumps, radiators, etc ). Do it right the first time and go with a large A2W intercooler, radiator, and pump.

Keith
why do you need two pumps, rads, etc??? allyou do is split the cold side of the water curcit into two and run one line to one A2W and the other to the other A2W. then you join the two hot water lines together and run them to the rad. simple!

i cant see there being much differance. really this would be a problem if you had limited space, then you might need to go for a twin setup.

thanks Chris.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by chuntington101
why do you need two pumps, rads, etc??? allyou do is split the cold side of the water curcit into two and run one line to one A2W and the other to the other A2W. then you join the two hot water lines together and run them to the rad. simple!
Running a single radiator with two A2W intercoolers totally defeats the purpose of running dual intercoolers. A single radiator with dual intercoolers would have to be very big to effeciently cool two intercoolers.

Also the pump would have to pretty big to suport two intercoolers. Splitting the coolant line between two intercoolers cuts down on the flow rate dramatically because the intercoolers are a restriction.

Keith
Old 09-19-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

ls1290, why would the rad have to be any bigger??? shurely you are trying to move the same amount of energy (heat) with two chargecoolers as you are with just one big one?

you may be right on the pump. but the cooler will always be a restirction to the pump. if the 2 coolers are big enough (half the size of the big core) then why will they restrict the pump more??

sorry for being stupid.

Chris.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

ls1290, why would the rad have to be any bigger??? shurely you are trying to move the same amount of energy (heat) with two chargecoolers as you are with just one big one?
If the two smaller intercoolers have more surface area, then they are going to extract out more heat from the intake charge than a large intercooler. Right? That is the whole point of running two smaller intercoolers rather than a single. OK, if the smaller ones extract out more heat, then the heat has to go some where. The heat is transferred into the coolant. Now that the heat is in the coolant, where do it go now. Next stop the radiator. If the radiator can not extract out all the heat from the coolant, then the next time the coolant passes through the intercoolers less heat is going to be extracted because there is less temperature differential between the intake charge and the coolant. The lower the temperature of the collant, the more heat it can absorb. Since we agreed that the two smaller intercoolers extract more heat than the single one, a bigger radiator is a must or you are defeatign the purpose.

Keith
Old 09-19-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

If the two smaller intercoolers have more surface area, then they are going to extract out more heat from the intake charge than a large intercooler. Right? That is the whole point of running two smaller intercoolers rather than a single. OK, if the smaller ones extract out more heat, then the heat has to go some where. The heat is transferred into the coolant. Now that the heat is in the coolant, where do it go now. Next stop the radiator. If the radiator can not extract out all the heat from the coolant, then the next time the coolant passes through the intercoolers less heat is going to be extracted because there is less temperature differential between the intake charge and the coolant. The lower the temperature of the collant, the more heat it can absorb. Since we agreed that the two smaller intercoolers extract more heat than the single one, a bigger radiator is a must or you are defeatign the purpose.

Keith

Ummm Keith....... My Coolant in my radialtors have nothing to do with my A2W Intercooler setup.....

There two totaly different setups that neither rely on the other....

A single radiator that cools the motor... and thre a 5 gallin cell in the hatch that runs -20 line thru a marine pump in the hatch to the A2W intercooler and then back to the 5 gallon cell filled with ice water....
Piping comes off the turbo.... into the A2W intercooler and then back out to the TB.

BTW i would never even think about coolant as cooling an intake charge as you have written above..... reread what ya wrote... doesnt make sense...
Why would ya cool a 250-300 degree intake charge with 250 degree coolant???

My A2A setup was in the mid 120's-130 and my water is in the 60-70's.... on a 100 degree day.

Kyle
Old 09-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Ummm Keith....... My Coolant in my radialtors have nothing to do with my A2W Intercooler setup.....

There two totaly different setups that neither rely on the other....
When I was refering to 'coolant' I was refering to the coolant in the A2W setup and not the block cooling system. The 'coolant' can be straight water or a mixture or water and water wetter. I have seen both used. This also goes for the radiator. Both systems have these things since they are both liquid based.

Keith
Old 09-19-2007, 12:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

When I was refering to 'coolant' I was refering to the coolant in the A2W setup and not the block cooling system. The 'coolant' can be straight water or a mixture or water and water wetter. I have seen both used. This also goes for the radiator. Both systems have these things since they are both liquid based.

Keith
Radiator/heat exchanger are interchangeable.

i don't think a Heat exchanger is really needed in a drag application since the run time is so short more ice can be added to system after each run keeping the temp consistent.

If this was a street car, or road race car then it would be absolutely necessary.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

Keith
i see where you care coming from mate, and this is why a REALLY big radiator is needed.

in an ideal situation you would have a chargcooler big enough to get the the intake air down to around ambient. now you would have to spec the rad (for the cooler) to beable to disipate MORE energy (heat) than what the chagecooler will 'make' (put into the water). this has no relation to what or how many chargecoolers you are running.

if you speck the cooler too small then you dont cool the air. if you spec the radiator too small then the water get hot and doesn't cool the air. basically you just need to make sure your 'system' is upto the task.

but this doens't answer the question on why 1 big charge cooler is better than 2?

thanks CHris.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

but this doens't answer the question on why 1 big charge cooler is better than 2?
The intercooler(s) that have the most surface area is the best as it will allow more contact with the intake charge and allow more heat to be transferred from the charge to the water/coolant.

Keith
Old 09-20-2007, 09:19 AM
I ruin the end of films...

Originally Posted by Twin76mmTA
I figured it would be less piping running through the engine bay, the large A2W is still something im lookin into. i still think i could save weight by using 2 smaller ones vs a 55lb dry unit.
even with the extra piping and fittings figured in? I'd just run the single IC2500/3000 and be done with it. Of course, you're gonna have to mount that in the passenger seat or behind it. If you don't want to run the piping through the interior of the car, twin IC1000s might be your only alternative. Not sure you can get a pair of IC1500s up front.

I see you also asked the question on the NMRA board. Good choice. Might try Hardcore5.0 too.

Quick Reply: Twin A2W intercoolers Vs 1 Big A2W