Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Crap...FP blowing fuses again....getting too hot I think...

Old 09-23-2007, 07:29 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crap...FP blowing fuses again....getting too hot I think...

So about a month or so ago I had a problem one day where I blew fuses on my magnafuel 750 pump. It ended up being my dead battery causing that problem. So its been fine for awhile now, running a 25A fuse. But today I drove across town to a buddies to weld some stuff up and I get close to home and car dies going about 20 MPH. No fuel pump. I replace the fuse, it looks melted and blown. Its black and very obviously melted. I get another 1/4 mile and it blows again. One more time (I carry alot of fuses lol) and I get home (another 1/4 mile maybe) and it blows that fuse the second I get in the garage. I check the fuel pump and its hot. I can keep my hand on it but its hot. But heres whats interesting: EVERYTHING was hot, I mean the fuel lines, the metal fuel cell, everything. I think my fuel is getting hot, the pump is getting hot, and pulling high amperage. I had about 1/4 tank.

I've noticed that my fuel mileage really sucks, even for a 750 RWHP car. I don't beat on it much, never WOT on the street for more than a second cause it just spins anyway. But I'm getting REALLY bad mileage. Maybe I'm getting the fuel hot and boiling it out? My sheet metal fuel cell is vented. Is this possible? I don't have any fuel leaks, but I get maybe 4 or 5 MPG in town.

Would a fuel cooler help enough? This is weird, I thought the Magnafuel pumps were able to handle this. It was about 90 degrees here today, if it matters.

I'm bummed, I hate being scared to drive my car for fear of getting stranded.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:46 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, I know there is a "fueling and injection" forum, but it doesn't see the traffic FI does and we probably use the bigger pumps more than anyone else anyway.

Search this Thread