Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New S88 lasted 10 miles [Pics]

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the compliments on my car!

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Chris, Jose and company will take care of you. They are out, but I will check and see what can be done.
PM sent with my contact info and asking what the next step is? Time is of the essence. Thank you.

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Also if I remember they told you specifically they don't use Fed-ex anymore due to their lack of taking care of packages. You wanted to use your fed-ex account to ship on, so please don't blame us if Fedex decides to use the packages for football games, this is out of our control. This is the MAIN reason why we no longer use Fedex or DHL. They also do not honor their claims as well. UPS isn't the best, but its the lesser of evils and we ship MANY of these units out every week and never have a single complaint. Also your housing took longer to get back the first time due to the coaters we use. His schedule was backed up and that means we backup. As for using the same housings, it was only the coating and PDC that were scraped off so reason to scrap the covers for that.

Also Jose repaired the turbo after Fed ex screwed it up, and that is not a warranty problem if you look at it in the turbos warranty aspect. But he did it for free, no questions asked. I'm sure he will help you out again as this is under the warranty scope......he wanted to see your car running as well since he liked the single turboed C5 idea.
At the time of purchase nothing was mentioned to me that you no longer used FedEx. I asked if you could bill the shipping against a FedEx account, answer was yes and that was that. What happens in transit is completely out of your control but the packaging is not. Both the initial shipment and the "replacement" shipment had very little packaging to protect the unit (as seen in pictures). Regardless Jose did fix the covers no questions asked. I was just out another month and some shipping charges.

The single turbo C5 is just about complete, just need a working turbo.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
My turbo from Precision Turbo was boxed up better than that, they didn't brace the turbo at all with some cardboard?
What is pictured is how I received it, both times. Except the second time didn't have the huge hole in the side of the box.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cablebandit
how much power are you planning on?
your setup looks awesome
If I'm not mistaken I believe Chris is shooting for enough power to SMOKE a certain very shiny red T/A around town with twins on it.......sound about right Chris???

A part that expensive and relatively delicate needs to be boxed up better than that. Hell, my F2 was shipped in a super heavy cardboard box and had a specially molded foam cradle inside the box as well. It was like a big jewelry box.

Keep on it man.....I'm anxious to see how that POS runs down in Memphis next week!

Craig
Old 10-04-2007, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
you say it only lasted 10 miles...what happened?

Well it didn't really last at all. The first time I attempted to build boost, it wouldn't make any. Everything else checked out fine so we pulled the turbo and found that the wheels made contact with the housings. I'll let FI explain what happened there.

Last edited by CrazyChris; 10-04-2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Dynojet Fan

Originally Posted by CrazyChris
This has been one hell of a project with so many all nighters I lost track. We are in the process of finishing the little stuff and got a base tune on it. Got a few miles on her and eased into the throttle, no boost what so ever. Drove back to the shop expecting to find a loose coupler and discovered both wheels in the turbo had touched the housings. Tears will be shed if we don't make it to the LSX shootout because of this.

Here are my experiences of Forced Inductions so far. Turbo took over a month to be delivered over the promised date. When received it was very poorly packaged and had been clearly dropped to the point where the box was ripped open and the unit was damaged. Jose said to send it back and he would take care of it even though it wasn't his problem (FedEx claim). Received the "replacement" weeks after the promised 1 day turnaround to find that it was the same unit repackaged and recoated. I'm going to call Forced Inductions when they open. Lets hope they handle this issue more business like than the last. I'll be sure to post back with the outcome. Look forward to seeing everyone at the LSX shootout (fingers crossed).

Here are pics of the packaging material, box, my car, and the damaged wheels.

To my knowledge this is going to be the only front mounted single to keep all accessories in stock location, 100% bolt-on kit. Expect another post with build details and pics. Your comments are welcomed.

Chris not to get off topic..but, where did you get that sheetmetal elbow for the intake... And does it fit under the stock hood.... Also what carb intake is that??

This would help me alot...thanks...
Old 10-04-2007, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had them rebuild a turbo and I had shipped it to them without the turbine housing on it. When I got it back from them the box and packing materials looked almost identical to what was posted here. Brand new turbine wheel was damanged (bent fins), but I was later able to straighten it out with a propane torch and pliers. A few minutes with some bubble wrap and tape could have prevented this damage. The turbo was just kinda flopping around in the box.

I have zero issues on the service and quality of work, it would seem that their packing of turbos does leave something to be desired though.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Forget that nonsense. I've bought THREE turbo's from different vendors and 2 were packaged **** poor as well. I did buy a turbo THROUGH FI.com but was shipped directly from Turbonetics.

Let me tell you this, with my first two turbo's there was cosmetic damage done to both of em, one had a dinged up inlet from where it punched through the box, the other had to be surfaced on the T4 flange because it had a gouge across it where it punched through the box.

BUT the Turbonetics turbo was packaged in TWO boxes. One was just a tad bit bigger than the turbo and stuffed with thick card board paper surrounding the turbo, both inlet and outlet had a rubber cover over both of em. The outer bigger box was lined with two layers of bubble wrap with the smaller box in the middle of that. The big box took some damage during transit, but the inner box was untouched/unharmed and so was the turbo. I even commented in my original post on how well it was packaged from Turbonetics.

I don't know why these guys think a few wraps of plastic and a cardboard box is good enough to ship a turbo which they all know damn well is a precisely engineered item.....freakin boggles the mind, when they blame the shipper. WE ALL KNOW THESE SHIPPING COMPANIES BASH ANYTHING THAT SHIPS THROUGH 'EM SO WHY DO YOU PACKAGE THEM LIKE THAT?????

****** buy a turbo that is well over a grand and they cheap out on the packaging

Come on, use common sense here and save yourselves some trouble with customer service issues.

To the OP, hope you are taken care of ASAP and you make the event. Keep us posted.
Jeremy
Old 10-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VH5150
Chris not to get off topic..but, where did you get that sheetmetal elbow for the intake... And does it fit under the stock hood.... Also what carb intake is that??

This would help me alot...thanks...

We built the kit on the car, along with the elbow on the intake mani. Yes if i remember correctly it fits under a stock hood even though that is an aftermarket hood. The intake is the edelbrock.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
If I'm not mistaken I believe Chris is shooting for enough power to SMOKE a certain very shiny red T/A around town with twins on it.......sound about right Chris???

A part that expensive and relatively delicate needs to be boxed up better than that. Hell, my F2 was shipped in a super heavy cardboard box and had a specially molded foam cradle inside the box as well. It was like a big jewelry box.

Keep on it man.....I'm anxious to see how that POS runs down in Memphis next week!

Craig
no craig he is WAYYYY past me now, he is shooting to beat a blue firebird (because the pewter one can't beat me) so you better WATCH YOURSELF PUNK

good luck chris and let me know if there is ANYTHING i can do to help you make the shootout!!

Last edited by fitz98ta; 10-04-2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: to add comment
Old 10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had that happen to my GT42-76 at the track... it contacted the housing also.....
In the end Precision did take care of me.

JZ has taken care of me in the past also..... Im sure he will get this taken care of.... but i di doubt everything will be ready by Memphis...
Old 10-04-2007, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2nd that on the awesome t-netics packaging, also procharger does package their head units very well.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:02 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by fitz98ta
no craig he is WAYYYY past me now, he is shooting to beat a blue firebird (because the pewter one can't beat me) so you better WATCH YOURSELF PUNK
Ha!! Got some BIG steps to take to get past the blue car.......I'm anxious to see how fast it's going to go in Memphis with great air and a well prepped track. I think 40's are possible.....

Chris....if you want me to fix that turbo I can.......my dad's a TV repair man and he's got an ultimate set of tools! LOL. Good luck.....lemme know if I can help.

Craig
Old 10-04-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Thats sucks about the turbo, especially since it could have been easily prevented. Hope you get one in time to make to the shootout. That Vette looks bad *** as hell, love the colour. Looks like its gonna haul too
Old 10-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Dynojet Fan

Originally Posted by 417 Motorsports
We built the kit on the car, along with the elbow on the intake mani. Yes if i remember correctly it fits under a stock hood even though that is an aftermarket hood. The intake is the edelbrock.
Im sending you a pm....
Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks Jason and Craig, but at this point I'm still waiting to hear from FI.

Also we tested the oiling prior to fire up so we know it wasn't an oil starvation issue.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

Let me point out something, you don't have to worry about making a claim with any of the shippers (UPS, FED-EX, DHL, etc...) if your going to package items like the one shown in the thread. It is certainly the company that packages the item that is ultimately responsible if it gets damaged in transit, because they did not box the item correctly. No shipper is going to refund for the damage. Like somebody else said in the thread, just double box the darn turbo and you won't have to worry about any of this non-sense. I believe FI is a good company, but you might not be able to get this handled in time for the shoot-out
Old 10-04-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

I had the same exact problems with Forced Industions. They shipped my turbos out 2 months late then they showed up damaged in shipping. Had to send them back and wait another 2 months to get them back. All the while they were saying they shipped and they didnt. It is a shame because they have so many great products to offer but I will never ever buy anything from them again.

Also that is a very nice kit and well thought out. I also have a corvette that Im getting finished up but I dont think Ill be able to get to the LSX shootout on time.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:03 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFORMULA
Also that is a very nice kit and well thought out. I also have a corvette that Im getting finished up but I dont think Ill be able to get to the LSX shootout on time.
What all do you need to get finished up? I though you were pretty close to done.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Wow the Vette looks amazing. Setup is killer.

That is some pretty horrible packaging though. I don't care if its UPS, FedEx, or DHL they all beat the living hell out of a package for the most part. Packing an item like that is almost guaranteed damage. All the Precision turbos I ever got were packed very well. Using a strong box and very strong pieces of cardboard on the inside. Hell I bought a Precision 101 turbo off of a member here and it was packed way better than that. Delivered by FedEx in mint condition.

Good luck with getting on the road with the car though. I hope they can get you another turbo without much of a wait. I'd love to see some results from the event!
Old 10-04-2007, 10:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I can't believe that turbo bit the dust so easy...

Quick Reply: New S88 lasted 10 miles [Pics]