Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Attn Ohio boys: O-ring question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 06:28 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
Not trying to argue...Just more info on the site the better. But how do you know for a FACT that the reason your not pushing water wasn't just from the gasket change alone?

Inspector12, how do you know it wasn't the Yamabond? We use it and thats some good stuff. Although it has it's downfalls...
Honestly I have done quite a few FI setups personally (Not as many as you for sure!) and I know the L19s helped a lot were they the single reason why it quit pushing water I am not 100% sure, but I have done a lot of research IE talking to people such as Kurt at W2W and other well known engine builders etc... I went the 1/2 inch stud route on the my TT car from the get go, but I used the L19 that were with the S/C car that I purchased, when I had to rebuilt it and I haven't had any water issues YET! LOL! Yes the Yamabond is good stuff I am with JMBLOWN a bitch to clean! What other down falls have you seen with it??? I am with you more info etc... Lets keep talking about it for sure I know I need a little more info although I have got a lot from all my talks with various FI guru's besides yourself and would like your input to add to my encyclopedia of knowledge LOL! Thanks!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With Cometics, how much more boost, lower et or timing can you add before you start pushing water......if it's only 1psi, 1 tenth or 2 degrees is it worth the effort?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by onfire
With Cometics, how much more boost, lower et or timing can you add before you start pushing water......if it's only 1psi, 1 tenth or 2 degrees is it worth the effort?
I have herd that they performed no better than a GM MLS gasket, but I would like to know if Mike has other info also. I herd that from two different engine builders.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Inspector12
I have herd that they performed no better than a GM MLS gasket, but I would like to know if Mike has other info also. I herd that from two different engine builders.
Yep, I've heard the same thing even though I'm using Cometics.

I should have worded the question better:

With MLS gaskets, how much more boost, lower et or timing can you add before you start pushing water IF YOU ADD AN O-RING......if it's only 1psi, 1 tenth or 2 degrees better than just a MLS gasket, is it worth the effort to add the rings to the head?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to argue...Just more info on the site the better. But how do you know for a FACT that the reason your not pushing water wasn't just from the gasket change alone?

Inspector12, how do you know it wasn't the Yamabond? We use it and thats some good stuff. Although it has it's downfalls...
What are the downfalls of the yamabond?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:58 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
From what I was told the L19 head studs have the same clamping force as a 1/2 stud. All I can say is we will see
I have heard that also.

I think he was saying if you are trying to decide which ones to go with. I am with you JM the L19's helped the black car when the previous owner was having issues was pushing water and L19's with Yama-bond fixed it etc...
I'll be doing something similar with my new engine. Although I'm going to use a different material head stud with a similar clamping force minus the hydrogen embrittlement.

What other issues besides the cleaning have you had with it?

I have heard that they performed no better than a GM MLS gasket, but I would like to know if Mike has other info also. I heard that from two different engine builders.
I don't know about it regards to holding boost, but cometics have the advantage of variable compressed thickness. I know everyone in here is most likely running a forged shortblock, but this info helps. The ideal quench distance of .035-.040 is sometimes hard to acquire with a .052 gasket. One major factor everyone is leaving out here is detonation. If there capacities of holding are the same I'd run the cometics over the MLS due to the better detonation control and reusability.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:55 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
X2??
Old 11-12-2007, 01:25 AM
Launching!

Ok, first off that was some good info you guys just went and threw away.

O-ringing the head with the GM MLS gaskets wasn't the cure all. But it did allow me to go faster and push less water.

As far as the specs on the o-ring in the head...I'll have to take some measurements.

My newest setup uses a copper gasket. With an o-ring in the head and a groove in the block. I can make 3 back to back 8 second passes and not push a drop...I just push air now. I have an expansion tank mounted high above the motor. That is only half full of water. I don't know how you could do it with a stockish radiator setup though.
You can see it here to the right of the TB.
question.Why not oring the block and run a copper head gasket like you do on conventional sbc bbc apps?I did this on my 10 head bolt 14 to 1 mopar on the bottle and never had another head gasket problem.If your going threw the trouble of the oring why not do it in the block(more rigid less flex) and be done with it?There is also a formula for wire thickness and depth in block for gasket thickness.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:13 AM
9 Second Club

Im almost 90% sure its the cleaning porcess. Its like JB weld And being carefull with it not to plug up your water jacket ports to the head.

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 11-12-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:36 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

I don't know about it regards to holding boost, but cometics have the advantage of variable compressed thickness. I know everyone in here is most likely running a forged shortblock, but this info helps. The ideal quench distance of .035-.040 is sometimes hard to acquire with a .052 gasket. One major factor everyone is leaving out here is detonation. If there capacities of holding are the same I'd run the cometics over the MLS due to the better detonation control and reusability.
I don't think you listed one thing a GM MLS gasket isn't capable of. They are reusable, but they are so cheap most don't I sure won't go to all the trouble of changing head gaskets and go back with the old ones for $50. Now your Cometics are around $200 and tell me how the Cometics control detination I am going to have to call BS on that part for sure as that is usually in your tuning, fuel, boost etc! And the different thicknesses well when you are building your motor generally I alway plan of the GM's so it isn't an issue, but if you needed a specfic thickness the Cometics would definately be an option.
Im almost 90% sure its the cleaning porcess. Its like JB weld And being carefull with it not to plug up your water jacket ports to the head.
Yeah that is why I used compressed air after installing them with it to make sure they are open, may not be 100%, but it is the best you can do when you have them on etc...
Old 11-12-2007, 09:48 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I don't think you listed one thing a GM MLS gasket isn't capable of. They are reusable, but they are so cheap most don't I sure won't go to all the trouble of changing head gaskets and go back with the old ones for $50. Now your Cometics are around $200 and tell me how the Cometics control detination I am going to have to call BS on that part for sure as that is usually in your tuning, fuel, boost etc! And the different thicknesses well when you are building your motor generally I alway plan of the GM's so it isn't an issue, but if you needed a specfic thickness the Cometics would definately be an option.
Quench is quench whether it's on a stock engine or built turbo racecar. Better quench distance promotes complete combustion and helps against detonation.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A few motors have been built with 9/16 studs and it is a huge PITA to get them to work.

The block machining, studs, head machining and custom gaskets will run you a bit over 1k, not to mention you will have to have custom tq plates made to properly bore and hone the motor.

the 140lb/ft clamping force will crack the deck and heads if you are not carefull.

Nasty,

i had Kurt abd a few local builders recommend flatout copper gaskets, they have special pn's for 1/2 and larger studs on ls motors. if i remember correctly they are .063 thick
Old 11-13-2007, 05:32 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Quench is quench whether it's on a stock engine or built turbo racecar. Better quench distance promotes complete combustion and helps against detonation.
If your building the motor and plan on GM gaskets then it's not an issue LOL! Like I said they aren't any better other than you can get different thicknesses usless someone else can give me some info to the contrary. So they don't help prevent detination it is the quench that does it? I would think that would just go back to a well built motor etc... And the 9/16's stud that are being talked about I herd from one of our local engine builders that they distorted the block and this particular shop couldn't even get the heads to seal correctly, but don't know much about that situation at all.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And the 9/16's stud that are being talked about I herd from one of our local engine builders that they distorted the block and this particular shop couldn't even get the heads to seal correctly, but don't know much about that situation at all.
That makes sense since it isn't the stud stretching as much as it is the decks flexing. For those that have killed a lot of them, are the gaskets loosing seal to the top and bottom and staying tight between cylinders?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
It sets fast and if u don't have both surfaces tacky the bond isn't as good. Also we just found that if you use too much with a receiver groove setup. It will actually keep the gasket from setting into the groove.

It comes off fairly easy with lacquer thinner.

We haven't noticed any difference in pushing water or gasket condition between Yamabond and high temp silicone sealant.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:11 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg

I think he was saying if you are trying to decide which ones to go with. I am with you JM the L19's helped the black car when the previous owner was having issues was pushing water and L19's with Yama-bond fixed it etc...
If your building the motor and plan on GM gaskets then it's not an issue LOL! Like I said they aren't any better other than you can get different thicknesses usless someone else can give me some info to the contrary. So they don't help prevent detination it is the quench that does it? I would think that would just go back to a well built motor etc...
I stated most people in here are running forged shortblocks. I'm a big fan of custom pistons and this is one of the reasons why. Yes, you could run the mls gaskets, but you're going to have pistons that are kind of far out of the hole or milled heads to reach ideal quench distance. Neither are beneficial to running large amounts of cylinder pressure.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:15 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

It sets fast and if u don't have both surfaces tacky the bond isn't as good. Also we just found that if you use too much with a receiver groove setup. It will actually keep the gasket from setting into the groove.

We haven't noticed any difference in pushing water or gasket condition between Yamabond and high temp silicone sealant.
Thanks for the info. I have a pretty full proof way of coating the gaskest and installing them before it sets up and the lacquer thinner I used from Home depot didn't work all that well, but he stuff I got from a friends body shop pulled it right off so I can tell you there is a difference in some of the thinners LOL!
I stated most people in here are running forged shortblocks. I'm a big fan of custom pistons and this is one of the reasons why. Yes, you could run the mls gaskets, but you're going to have pistons that are kind of far out of the hole or milled heads to reach ideal quench distance. Neither are beneficial to running large amounts of cylinder pressure.
So we are basicly on the same page. You just don't want to admit that other than the adjustable thicknesses there is no advantage to the Cometics? But it doesn't matter we all have to build our motors the way we want so good luck to you.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

anyone used yamabond with nitrous setups?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:25 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by .ALEX.
anyone used yamabond with nitrous setups?
Most haven't had to untill they go to huge shots I know of a couple of people who said they used it with good results not personally though.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Mike.

Now you said

My newest setup uses a copper gasket. With an o-ring in the head and a groove in the block. I can make 3 back to back 8 second passes and not push a drop...I just push air now. I have an expansion tank mounted high above the motor. That is only half full of water. I don't know how you could do it with a stockish radiator setup though.
You can see it here to the right of the TB.

What do you mean by just push air???? Was that a happy post ie push air into the motor or you found another problem??

What does having the expansion tank up high do??

Completley sealed and plumbed back into the motor or vented??

Thanks

Kyle

Quick Reply: Attn Ohio boys: O-ring question