Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Jake brake sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine does the same thing at the same rpms...cept i dont have boost yet and its through kooks LTs ORY and LM catback...i kinda like it maybe its cause i got tractor envy
Old 11-11-2007, 08:56 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smoke20
that fluttering noise is what my car sounds like when i take my foot off the gas when im in boost, i dont have a BOV installed , its coming from the wastegate opening closing real fast .

i looking at getting a BOV.

No, its not coming from the wastegate. Its coming from the inlet of the turbo. You close the throttle, the turbo doesn't just stop spinning at high rpms. But the air has nowhere to go so it comes back through the compressor, making the noise.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
No, its not coming from the wastegate. Its coming from the inlet of the turbo. You close the throttle, the turbo doesn't just stop spinning at high rpms. But the air has nowhere to go so it comes back through the compressor, making the noise.

when you put it that way it makes much more sense, i better get a BOV that cant be good on the ole compressor.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:45 AM
FormerVendor

The noise you are hearing may be caused by the wastegate being open under vacuum. Check to be sure the boost side of the wastegate is routed from the compressor housing. If it's hooked to vacuum the gate will open under decel or high vacuum. The bov should release all at once. If you hear a flutter from the bov then you may need a larger one. If the discharge air is comming from the turbo inlet the bov is to small or not working. Depending what bov you have there are many different springs available to speed up the valve. George
Old 11-11-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turbo Tech
The noise you are hearing may be caused by the wastegate being open under vacuum. Check to be sure the boost side of the wastegate is routed from the compressor housing. If it's hooked to vacuum the gate will open under decel or high vacuum. The bov should release all at once. If you hear a flutter from the bov then you may need a larger one. If the discharge air is comming from the turbo inlet the bov is to small or not working. Depending what bov you have there are many different springs available to speed up the valve. George

i dont have a BOV installed on the STS system, i assumed the noise was from the wastegate , i know i need to install a BOV so that will be my winter project. what size BOV would you recommend im currently running 9psi with the plans to go up to 12-15 psi.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

50mm Tial is a great one...

there is a thread around here somewhere with a poll about BOVs
Old 11-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for giving me some good information on this subject. I have a Tail 50mm blowoff valve, Im only boosting to 5.5lb so maybe the spring in the blowoff valve is to large and is causing this. I dont no what size spring it comes with, but if thats the problem can you cut the spring to make it shorter.

Quick Reply: Jake brake sound