Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Reliability of FI'd LSx

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reliability of FI'd LSx

As some may know, my twin turbo build finished up just a little bit ago, and the same day, i had a bit of a problem. Well, the turbos are shot... not the engine! *whew!*

However, to the most important question to me at this point.... the car put down 692/702, and a meth injection kit has already been installed.. I plan to have my tuner tune the car to 11.0:1 with meth (so that if the meth runs out, it doesnt lean out to a dangerous level) and he will probably continue to run 13* of timing. We were at 13psi before, which is probably the general area i'd like to stay... With a nice, safe tune like this, do you guys see any reason that the car won't be a reliable, strong running car for years to come?? i can't afford to keep fixing crap...

If you havent seen my build on here, its a stock crank, forged rods and pistons, 348 with ported and polished 5.3 heads, running a 9.0:1 CR... Twin walboro in-tank pumps, with aeromotive rails and FPR.. good sized fmic, etc...

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but i just want to know if the car will be reliable and run for years to come? or if i'm gonna blow **** up
Old 11-20-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
As some may know, my twin turbo build finished up just a little bit ago, and the same day, i had a bit of a problem. Well, the turbos are shot... not the engine! *whew!*

However, to the most important question to me at this point.... the car put down 692/702, and a meth injection kit has already been installed.. I plan to have my tuner tune the car to 11.0:1 with meth (so that if the meth runs out, it doesnt lean out to a dangerous level) and he will probably continue to run 13* of timing. We were at 13psi before, which is probably the general area i'd like to stay... With a nice, safe tune like this, do you guys see any reason that the car won't be a reliable, strong running car for years to come?? i can't afford to keep fixing crap...

If you havent seen my build on here, its a stock crank, forged rods and pistons, 348 with ported and polished 5.3 heads, running a 9.0:1 CR... Twin walboro in-tank pumps, with aeromotive rails and FPR.. good sized fmic, etc...

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but i just want to know if the car will be reliable and run for years to come? or if i'm gonna blow **** up

With a good tune, sufficient fuel, and good forged internals, running your setup at 13 psi should be pretty reliable. Plenty of guys have run forged 346/347/348's with that much boost or more and have had plenty of success. Good luck with the new turbos though and hopefully no more issues!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:04 PM
9 Second Club

It all depend's on how you take care of it! It might not even be a fault of your own if it break's. Part's break and fail and screw **** up! Nature of the beast!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Well, its a stock crank, but forged Mahle -16cc pistons and forged eagle h-beam rods... Like i said, i plan to run it 11.0:1 A/F with meth, so that if meth runs out, it doesnt lean out any more than 11.5:1... do you agree that this is enough fuel to stay safe??

As far as things breaking, i know that's part of the game... i dont mind some things breaking, and i know its going to happen, but i can't afford any more major mishaps at this point...

My driving... It will be a 99.9% street only car... lots of cruising around, and lots of street runs i'm sure... but of course, this probably includes 20+ miles of regular driving for every hard WOT blast... theres not many places you can open up a 700whp car... most blasts will probably only happen for a couple seconds... And myself, i dont beat on the car... i will most definitely run it, and make sure i feel the power each time i'm out, but it won't be non-stop pedal-to-the-metal...
Old 11-21-2007, 02:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
Well, its a stock crank, but forged Mahle -16cc pistons and forged eagle h-beam rods... Like i said, i plan to run it 11.0:1 A/F with meth, so that if meth runs out, it doesnt lean out any more than 11.5:1... do you agree that this is enough fuel to stay safe??

As far as things breaking, i know that's part of the game... i dont mind some things breaking, and i know its going to happen, but i can't afford any more major mishaps at this point...

My driving... It will be a 99.9% street only car... lots of cruising around, and lots of street runs i'm sure... but of course, this probably includes 20+ miles of regular driving for every hard WOT blast... theres not many places you can open up a 700whp car... most blasts will probably only happen for a couple seconds... And myself, i dont beat on the car... i will most definitely run it, and make sure i feel the power each time i'm out, but it won't be non-stop pedal-to-the-metal...
You sound like you drive and do thing's as I do! You should be fine! I have my setup for a little over a year and it's still going strong! I would say you should be fine! Just normal maintance and the car will take care of you!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds good this is my plan too, well to start with anyways, lol
Old 11-22-2007, 05:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The build here on this C5 is handling a 2.5 mile road course for two0 hours at a time twice a week during the season. The build is close to yours, and this car has had very little that has gone wrong. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40 Bob
Old 11-22-2007, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

I know if I had things to do over again I would have went with a Procharger
Old 11-22-2007, 01:13 PM
FormerVendor

The only problem i see is that if your only planning to spray .5AFR worth of meth, then it may not be enough to benefit from. When hosing the meth pretty good on these higher hp cars, it tends to take alot out from your VE (fuel) table, anywhere from 1.0AFR to 2AFR , its a fuel supplement in this instance which can be good and can also have its offsets.

IF your tuner configures it where it sprays a minimal amount, then obviously its better then anything.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well to counteract the event of meth failing couldn't you go into your IAT tuning and take some timing away if it goes above a certain IAT?? That would be a little safer at least... You'd definitely know that it failed too when it looses a bunch of power if your kit doesn't have a low/not working light...
Old 11-22-2007, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
Well to counteract the event of meth failing couldn't you go into your IAT tuning and take some timing away if it goes above a certain IAT?? That would be a little safer at least... You'd definitely know that it failed too when it looses a bunch of power if your kit doesn't have a low/not working light...

When setup correctly, it can help out in a failure moment, but it happens really fast and when your stressing the motor with quite a bit of cylinder pressure things start to get ugly really fast.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, i was not aware that the meth was worth that much on the AFR scale... I am not planning to use meth as a power adder whatsoever, merely as a safety factor... I do not want to end up getting a bad tank of gas or something, and kaboom, there goes my entire engine....

MM's comments in my previous thread convinced me to do the meth as only a safety factor... however, the discussion never evolved into the very specifics of how much AFR the meth is worth, etc...
Old 11-23-2007, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

So can I add a meth kit without a retune then just for safety's sake??
Old 11-23-2007, 12:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by macleod
So can I add a meth kit without a retune then just for safety's sake??
You can spray a minimal amount but it will richen the mixture up quite a bit if you go too far. Depending on where the afr is right now you can or cant spray a certine amount.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

So without a retune then its best to not use it. I was just looking for extra protection not something I wanna have to rely on. Being new to FI and reading all these posts I am getting a bit nervous.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02SSLE
I know if I had things to do over again I would have went with a Procharger

Really? Being reliable with a SDCE 8rib setup like KP and myself had before my current turbo setup I say yes but the way it came from ATI I say no.

It took some work to get the ATI kit reliable and it NEVER made the same amont of HP per pound of boost my turbo kit does.

On the note of it being reliable for a long long time.... Something could happen at any time making quite a bit I power. So always keep some extra $$ set aside just in case. FI isn't cheap.

Kyle
Old 11-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Banned

Im pretty interested in this topic, because Im planning on forging my 346 with just rods and -cc pistons, and was going with a stock set of 6.0 heads with maybe 918's and that be about it..
Old 11-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
It all depend's on how you take care of it! It might not even be a fault of your own if it break's. Part's break and fail and screw **** up! Nature of the beast!
Basically what he said!!
Old 11-23-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1_quick_ls1
Im pretty interested in this topic, because Im planning on forging my 346 with just rods and -cc pistons, and was going with a stock set of 6.0 heads with maybe 918's and that be about it..

I would another set of spring. The 918's are cheap yes but there a single spring. Why do that?? The patriots are doubles so you have protection for saving your motor if the spring ever does break. (it has happened quite abit)
A double springs like the patriots are way cheap. Only about $50-60 more then the 918's and well worth it. I've made over 1100rwhp with them LOL.

Kyle
Old 11-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Banned

Hahah.. Thats awesome! I will def. upgrade to the Doubles!

Whats the cheapest place to go through to get them!!!!!

Thanks for the awesome info!

And im not trying to hijack the thread, just wanted to throw that in there

Quick Reply: Reliability of FI'd LSx