Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Your choice for a electronic boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an import thing, but has anybody tried the Greddy Profec boost controllers? Its electronic and you can setup a low/hi boost and have a remote button you can put on your steering wheel. They use these on Supras and other high hp import cars with great results.

http://greddy.com/products/display/?...SubCategory=51
Old 11-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

I used that one on my Rx-7 and was very happy with it. Couldnt be easier to install and setup, and held rock solid boost on whatever setting I wanted.

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
I know this is an import thing, but has anybody tried the Greddy Profec boost controllers? Its electronic and you can setup a low/hi boost and have a remote button you can put on your steering wheel. They use these on Supras and other high hp import cars with great results.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Eboost2 from byunspeed...
Old 11-22-2007, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rxmfn7
I used that one on my Rx-7 and was very happy with it. Couldnt be easier to install and setup, and held rock solid boost on whatever setting I wanted.
Yea we used it on the Turbo Integras and Civics wayyyy back in the day (before Rice existed lol)

From what I heard the Eboost is kinda complicated but maybe peeps have it figured out. The Profec was easy just dial it in and go.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM

NicD(member on here) uses that one. i dont think hes had any problems with it
Old 11-23-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbo'd stang
IMO, that is the best controller out there. 32 stages of boost and it holds the gate alot steadier. Wolfe did some testing on his car and the AMS would vary boost 3-5psi...on his car, that is ALOT. With the MSD, it held it to .3psi differences.
Were they using CO2 on the WG???

I plan on trying to control boost with BS3 at 1st and then either the exile or AMS1000. AMS has a new one out also there AMS500.

Kyle
Old 11-24-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Were they using CO2 on the WG???

I plan on trying to control boost with BS3 at 1st and then either the exile or AMS1000. AMS has a new one out also there AMS500.

Kyle
Wolfe was using C02 before anyone knew about it

The AMS is good for 90% of the cars out there. On his car, it just didn't work. They changed units, solenoids, checked for leaks, rewired, etc... It didn't hold steady. I don't think the processor could react fast enough. I'm going to try the AMS, as I already have one. The AMS worked awesome on Wolfes last motor...just not this one. I would get a 1000 out of those three.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would really like some more info on the setup using the AMS-1000 that did not hold the pressure steady. If you could PM me more details it would be greatly appreciated. I would very much like to solve any problems they were having. The processor in the AMS-1000 and AMS-500 run at 48mhz and use an enhanced timer system that was designed for high speed timing functions in automotive applications. That is how it is able to be adjusted in .1 psi increments and typically hold very close to this range.

The AMS-500 uses the same control technuiqes as the AMS-1000, however it is a scaled down unit that is more cost friendly. Hope I have not crossed any posting boundries if I have please delete. I would just like to help out if posible.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Technoman64
I would really like some more info on the setup using the AMS-1000 that did not hold the pressure steady. If you could PM me more details it would be greatly appreciated. I would very much like to solve any problems they were having. The processor in the AMS-1000 and AMS-500 run at 48mhz and use an enhanced timer system that was designed for high speed timing functions in automotive applications. That is how it is able to be adjusted in .1 psi increments and typically hold very close to this range.

The AMS-500 uses the same control technuiqes as the AMS-1000, however it is a scaled down unit that is more cost friendly. Hope I have not crossed any posting boundries if I have please delete. I would just like to help out if posible.
What does the 1000 do that the 500 does not?And what is the ball park price of each?
Old 11-24-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

AMS-1000 has up to 6-stages of Timed Based, Shift Based, Or Gear Position Sensor based boost control. There is a main Boost channel and an Auxilary channel. Launch boost control, many timer options, inputs can be configured for +12v or Ground activation. Scramble input, Boost decrease input, Shift Input. Ramp rate adjustable for 0-100 psi per second in 1 psi increments. 128x64 LCD Screen, ability to log and view actual boost data. This is just a simple 2-D graph but is integrated into the unit. Boost level is adjustable in .1 psi increments. I may be forgetting some things also. The best is to loacte and download the user manual for the AMS-1000. Some of the features listed below for the AMS-500 are being integrated into the AMS-1000 also for over boost protection in the event of a failed Sensor or ?

AMS-500, two channels of Boost control. 0-40psi setting in 1 psi increments via rotary switch. Input1 and Input2 polarity can be configured for +12V or Ground activation via 2-position DIP switch. Input1/Stage1 does NOT have a Ramp rate, just comes on when active and goes for the target setting. Input2/Stage2 has a Ramp Rate select switch with 16 available rates scaled from 0(works same as Stage1) to 60 psi per second.

Optional operating modes so that if using dedicated air/C02 supply and the controller does not see an increase with each system cycle when activated it will stop applying boost and dump the system. This is to protect the enigne from MAP Sensor hose coming loose or some other error that could cause the system to go to full boost.

Normal oprating mode can be used with manifold pressure for the source and will keep trying to reach the target pressure even when no boost is being made by the engine.
Stage1 can optionaly be configured to work as Launch channel and when Input1 is ON the Stage2 Input will be ignored until Stage1 is released during launch. This allows the use of a WOT switch along with clutch and/or line lock switch to control Launch boost and then Stage2 with ramp after launch.

Normal mode for Stage1 is to cancel out Stage2 and go up or down in boost level to Stage1 setting when applied. You could use Stage2 for launch and then hit Stage1 for more boost or less boost or however you want to set it up. Cost of AMS-500 is approx 50% of cost of AMS-1000 I believe. I have nothing to do with sales or distribution so I should not put any numbers out regarding cost.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Technoman64

Your not over the boundries unless you try to solicet sales of the product as a non sponsor. Help with the product and info about it is fine.

I to would like to know the difference between the 500 and the 1000

I have seen the 1000 work and its awsome. Your right the $900 pics tag is the scary part. How stags does the AMS500 have? One for launch and 2 more for down the track???

Kyle
Old 11-24-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

The AMS-500 has just two stages of boost control, but it is flexible in setup and operating modes. It has an integrated MAP Sensor and the connection is a steel fitting with 3/8 NPT Threads so the user has a lot of options for connecting to an existing system.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a greddy on my 300ztt. simple, cheap, works great.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:05 AM
Pathological Modifier

Exile here and loving it...
Old 11-25-2007, 05:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I got a great price on the eboost2 on clearance so I couldnt pass it up
Old 11-25-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
I have seen the 1000 work and its awsome. Your right the $900 pics tag is the scary part. How stags does the AMS500 have? One for launch and 2 more for down the track???

Kyle

I'm going to do like you and try my boost control with my BS3 first. i don't think i can justify paying the $900 at first for the AMS, considering that's more then i picked my BS3 up for!!
Old 11-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
I'm going to do like you and try my boost control with my BS3 first. i don't think i can justify paying the $900 at first for the AMS, considering that's more then i picked my BS3 up for!!
Dam I need a BS3 setup like that, along with a Boost controller.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
Dam I need a BS3 setup like that, along with a Boost controller.
yeah i got a really good deal on a used one that's damn near brand new

the integrated boost controller on the AEM unit that is on a friend of mines turbo civic works really well.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

AEM Tru Boost gauge.. Payed $220 on ebay.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:53 PM
9 Second Club

As far as the exile boost controller, im sure it works great, but it looks like an electronic out of the late 80's.

You guys should look at greddy, hks, Apexi. They all make great looking units, with graphical interfaces ect. Ive personally had experiance with a greddy profec-b and profec b spec 2. Both are pretty much one of the most rock solid best bang for th ebuck electronic boost controllers in the import world.

If i were to go with a manual boost controller the halman pro with cermaic ball would be my first choice.

The ams-1000 is an amazing unit, but hard to justify 1,000 when a 60 dollar manual will do all i need... for now, at least.

Im really leaning toward the Aem tru boost gauge, and Aem wideband 02. Both look great, and having a gauge and electronic boost gauge for 220-300 bucks seems like a great deal. Aem has always made great electronics in the past.

Chris

Quick Reply: Your choice for a electronic boost controller