Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts camaro lost # 7 last night (stock block)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was able to pull mine from the top but i took the trans out on its own first took it 2 hours from start to finish to get it out ls1
Old 11-27-2007, 05:46 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have big ***** running that much boost with no intercoooler. But I understand **** happens. We live and learn.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Launching!

i updated the first post
Old 12-05-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by myws6istheshiznit
i also took my motor out from the top but had to strip it down and pull the heads off. dropping it out from under the car is the fastest way. i also lost #7 but i was pushing 15 pounds of boost at the time! good luck!

15lbs of boost on a stock motor?!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

Well not to be a dick but u only put down 380? seems kinda low for a turboed car......good luck with ur car tho....my buddy is putting down 10 pounds with his STS on the stock motor, but he has an innercooler.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:11 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the blow out

Only a good shop can tell if the block is savable, unless you see BIG scratches deeper than a couple of thousands of an inch, or a hole or crack, in which case it's toast

It also looks like it ran a little leaner than I would care to see.

Good luck with the rebuild
Old 12-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Launching!

yea horse power was kinda lacking... i think it just couldnt breathe... but it was a baby turbo, low boost, no intercooler, and completly stock engine.

the new plans are:
13-14 pounds of boost
huge front mount IC
cam 220/216 .560 lift 116 LSA
beefy valve springs/retainers/pushrods
forged pistons not sure how much i wanna drop the compression.. mabye -7cc or so
ect

hopefully itll put down some good numbers

btw i pulled the engine from the bottom
Old 12-06-2007, 06:24 AM
11 Second Club

Welcome to the club...sorry to hear it.

Stock #7 and FI is a ticking time bomb, as others have put it...

now you get to turn up the wick and go really fast.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats a shame Jeff. I remember talking to you about this build. Wish it could have lasted longer. So where do you live?

I'm surprised that in late november your IAT's would be high enough to cause issues. It can be downright cold around here during the day and even worse at night here in ATL. It seems the current weather would have made up for the lack of IC. Maybe its much warmer where you are.

How did you get the front end up that high?

I would go ahead and look for a T67 or Shell out the money for a TC72 or 76. Your motor will now be able to take more than that T60 can dish out. Btw any backpressure issues with the smaller turbo?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That picture illustrates perfectly why you should tune on the rich side and monitor detonation constantly (aeroforcetech makes a nice gage). Looks like you got the piston really hot and melted it at the exhaust valve. I never tune leaner than 11.3:1 on a load bearing dyno (it's not possible to tune a turbo car on a dynojet and get accurate a/f readings).

An intercooler would help you a lot with your IATs which are really hurting you.

Stock engines are not ticking time bombs when you tune them well and babysit the hell out of them. It takes a lot of work to keep one alive at high boost since there is very little margine for error.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seen two dead lt1 cars with same pistons basically as ls1 cars. One died at 8 or so psi on intercoolered tuned perfect supposedly procharger and the other one died from serious boost overdose on lt1 with sts. Both lost the ringlands.
At minium rebuild the engine with forged pistons this time around. Some rods and good rod bolts are also good idea and the stock cranks can actually take quite a lot of power.If really on a budget just do rod bolts and pistons. Anything is better than hypercrap pistons. And of course this time around an intercooler and possibly alc injection are good ideas. As is a wideband and hopefully at least a better fuel pump and some 42s or 36 pound injectors should be sufficient if you aren't going for huge power.
They probably really took out timing and were running that car of yours pig rich. 7psi should be putting out closer to 500rwhp. 5 psi is like 400rwhp.

Quick Reply: sts camaro lost # 7 last night (stock block)