Great Job!
Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is Zombie is right.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a rear mount turbo for 2 yrs now been working on it a little at a time as i get money. thanks zombie for the writeup great info!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Launching!

what do you do if you already have a 3" y pipe and piping. Just throw away that y pipe and install all 2.5 inch. It's already wrapped, but do have the long tubes. Should I try and wrap them???-
Old 11-30-2007, 12:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nz12's
what do you do if you already have a 3" y pipe and piping. Just throw away that y pipe and install all 2.5 inch. It's already wrapped, but do have the long tubes. Should I try and wrap them???-
Sell your long tubes and y-pipe and replace with manifolds and smaller y-pipe (offroad is best) and re-wrap everything and enjoy spooling at least twice as fast.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the write up. Your findings were the main source of info for my build from the beginning. The move to 3.5" to 4" downpipe is what I have in the works currently. Do you think its significant to have it shorter than 1.5"? Im using a 4" elbow which will be cut at an angle on the bend to give it a slightly larger opening than 4"

Also you tossed stock exhaust from manifolds all the way back? Isn't the stock y-pipe already 2.5"? I thought only the "over-axle" pipe was bigger than 2.5" at 2.75". And would you recommend a .96 housing over a .81 for a T67? I don't care about high end, just street spool. I figure .81 is a better deal but I always wonder if .96 would give better power throughout the rpm range.

Last edited by JAvenger007; 11-30-2007 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:04 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the write up. Your findings were the main source of info for my build from the beginning
+1 on that...Just about done with my 408 sts. Quick question, How did you high hp guys do your pvc?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:10 AM
On The Tree

Good read, a++++, will buy again!!! lol ebay.

Jeremy that is a great saga, next time do an epic and add a little love story to it my mang. lol hollywood

Jeremy came by and he gave me a ride in his car on the 91 oct tune. This bad boy spools instantly and was spinning tires at 100mph, totally sick.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:05 AM
Staging Lane

wow, great write up. very intersting on the exhaust part also. my setup starts next week. stock ls1 ( 04 gto ), sts kit, TC76mps with .81 A/R, meth, fuel. i have a .96 a/r to go with it for later down the road when i do a cam or motor build.

about how much faster do you start spooling when you changed the exhuast setup after the turbo. i am looking for more streetable power and not concerned with as much top end. would you have any suggestions for my build.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
Also you tossed stock exhaust from manifolds all the way back? Isn't the stock y-pipe already 2.5"? I thought only the "over-axle" pipe was bigger than 2.5" at 2.75". And would you recommend a .96 housing over a .81 for a T67? I don't care about high end, just street spool. I figure .81 is a better deal but I always wonder if .96 would give better power throughout the rpm range.
Yes, the stock exhaust is completely gone except for manifolds. The reason is because I needed ground clearance and the stock y-pipe was scraping on every speed bump. My car is very low in the front because of all the extra weight. I need new stiffer springs. The new y-pipe is higher and still hits on every speed bump tearing up my header wrap even though it is at least 1" higher than the stock y-pipe.

Originally Posted by BFEGTO
about how much faster do you start spooling when you changed the exhuast setup after the turbo.
Changing the exhaust after the turbo isn't going to get huge gains for most like it did for me. My turbo uses a 3.5" v-band and was going into a 3" exhaust. My 3" exhaust butted right up against the v-band and we think it was causing a lot of turbulence hindering the exhaust exiting. A very easy way to check is to just pull your after turbo exhaust off. The difference in my car was huge, but I doubt others will see this kind of gain unless they have the same problem.

I don't know if it spooled at an earlier RPM range or not, but it spooled way faster time wise. With an automatic it's not possible to measure spool by RPM because of converter slip.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zombie
Yes, the stock exhaust is completely gone except for manifolds. The reason is because I needed ground clearance and the stock y-pipe was scraping on every speed bump. My car is very low in the front because of all the extra weight. I need new stiffer springs. The new y-pipe is higher and still hits on every speed bump tearing up my header wrap even though it is at least 1" higher than the stock y-pipe.

Changing the exhaust after the turbo isn't going to get huge gains for most like it did for me. My turbo uses a 3.5" v-band and was going into a 3" exhaust. My 3" exhaust butted right up against the v-band and we think it was causing a lot of turbulence hindering the exhaust exiting. A very easy way to check is to just pull your after turbo exhaust off. The difference in my car was huge, but I doubt others will see this kind of gain unless they have the same problem.

I don't know if it spooled at an earlier RPM range or not, but it spooled way faster time wise. With an automatic it's not possible to measure spool by RPM because of converter slip.

thanks. i will keep that in mind when he system goes on next week.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

do you think switching back to manifolds worsened your backpressure problem?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes, the best method is shorty headers , coated and wrapped. He would have gone that way, but he was too cheap. The manifolds are off my car and I have stepped long tubes on my car. My long tubes are wrapped, and it isnt a problem. Ideally, shorty headers, coated, y pipe (3 inch is fine) coated and wrapped, and a coated exhuast housing.

Ps I built zombies car......but it has been a sage. Benneliwangs car, is a twin rear mount with coated wrapped shorties, coated duals (vette) to twins.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Can we see some pics of the setup??

Thanks
Old 12-20-2007, 06:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would enjoy seeing some pictures of your henry j if you have some you could post up without too much trouble.I have always liked henry j's and certainly haven't seen one turbocharged!That has to be a unique vehicle. sorry about the hijack!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ill shoot some pics of the twined vette (its on one of the lifts) and the henry. Pm me with an email and Ill send them. The henry J is probably the coolest thing around my shop, and its surrounded by turbo cars of all natures. Most people dont even realize what was done or how it was done.

The henry j 's build sheet would read

turboed,intercooled, 4wh discs, independant front and rear, power steering, tilt, ac, cruise, abs, air bags, 5 speed, 2400 lbs, power windows, 19 inch wheels and its a 1954. Its all srt 4 neon underneath. Dash, steering, suspension, seats everything. I just need to get to painting it, so I can set the glass in. As car builds go, it has been pretty easy, just a different approach.

What were we talking about? Oh yea, zombies red camaro, I have to do the cage in it soon, and a couple other small things so it will go 9's in jan/feb. That car just proves you dont need a lot of "high" end stuff to make the power or go fast. It even got used pistons that a "shop" told their customer were no good. He just got yet another engine. The only new parts in Zombies entire engine were the rings/bearings, the rods, the oil pump, gaskets and the head studs and valve springs and the thing is making close to 900 at the crank? My coments to Zombie from the begining were , buicks just prove turbos overcome all.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

What is the fuel setup on that car? I thought I saw you guys mention that it is still returnless. Is a VAFPR implemented at all?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Karpellarpy
do you think switching back to manifolds worsened your backpressure problem?
I dont' think they worsened the back pressure but I'm not 100% sure because I never measured it before and after the change. Even if they did worsen it slightly, it was dramatically reduced by fixing the exhaust after the turbo (free flowing), insulating the exhaust and moving to a larger exhaust housing. The real question on manifolds is how much can they flow before becoming a bottleneck? If they can flow 1500 cfm of exhaust at 40psi back pressure but the turbine wheel and housing can only flow 1200 cfm, then upgrading to headers doesn't improve anything. I dont' know where the limit is on them, but I can tell you that they work great at my power level.

I think 1320 is correct that properly setup shorty headers could show some improvement, I'm not changing what is working great on my setup though. I'm cheap

Originally Posted by 1320
My coments to Zombie from the begining were , buicks just prove turbos overcome all.
researching what buick guys have done and what they have made work definately helped. They are the mad scientists of turbo cars. They have tried just about everything you can think of.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
What is the fuel setup on that car? I thought I saw you guys mention that it is still returnless. Is a VAFPR implemented at all?
Fuel setup is 2 intank walbros, hot wired to the batt and 60lb/hr injectors. Everything else is completely stock. I'm going to be moving to some high impedence 79lb/hr injectors and adding a hobbs switch so my 2nd pump only activates on boost. My fuel pressure is 72psi at idle with both pumps on all the time. I've maxxed out the 60lb/hr injectors on 16psi now.

I'm keeping the stock returnless system on the new injectors too if I can get it to idle well (I think I can). I don't see the need to improve it and convert to external FPR setup. I'll change it if it becomes a problem.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BFEGTO
thanks. i will keep that in mind when he system goes on next week.
Mike, isn't your after-turbo exhaust like mine? 10" of 3"OD fencepost?

Not much there to alter.

Zombie, I wanted to say thanks, in addition to the others, for a very well-written, thought-out, and informative post. One of the things we see a lot of is hiding recipes for success in order to gain some kind of competitive advantage on the street. It's refreshing to see the old-fashioned thought of sharing ideas to further the cause of going fast. I know many of us with STS, etc, have been banging our collective heads against the wall trying to get a reasonably-spooled combo that doesn't fall flat at 5700 or so.

Like BFE, I have an 04 GTO. I wrapped my exhaust and saw a great flattening out of power curves, versus the incredibly hard smack at 3800rpm. Gobs of dyno HP makes no difference if you only have it from 4k-6k. I'm now spooling shortly after 3200 with a 76GTS .96A/R.

I will be changing up my exhaust to 2.5 all the way back, eliminating the factory driver side 2" crossover we have on the GTO's going into the single that runs to the turbo. I was also considering LT's, but I am glad to see Factual proof that it will do no good over ported stockers or shorties.

Again, thanks. I know a lot of cars will benefit from your generosity.

Happy Holidays!

-Ronnie

Quick Reply: The Zombie rear mount turbo saga