Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

wastegate question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question wastegate question

i have been looking on the forum to see a lot of diff pics on the wastegate.......my turbo does not have a bunge on the intake side to tap the fitting and hose to install the wastegate.....what do i do??
Old 11-29-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Veteran

drill and tap the compressor housing
Old 11-29-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

dammit.......do i have to take it apart or just do it without getting any particals in the housing....thats what im afraid of is ruining the blades by debris
Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

take the cover off if you plan to tap it.

Otherwise, run the gate reference to the intake itself
Old 11-29-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by y2khawk
run the gate reference to the intake itself
so its okay to run vacuum and boost to the bottom port of a wastegate?

Last edited by MECHAM; 11-29-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:42 AM

You should be able to run a vacuum line after the throttle body (intake manifold) to the port on the bottom of the wastegate. Make sure to not use the top port, or else you will run whatever boost the F/I application can make because there will be pressure on the wastegate keeping it from opening.

The reason the turbo is the ideal place to tap is because the boost reference will be the same as the turbo(because it is the turbo), it will not differ 1-2 psi like the intake manifold will (Huge Debate)

The only reason you want to use the top port is if you have a electronic boost controller, then you can control the exact moment the wastegate will open by cutting off pressure to the top port and allowing pressure to open the wastegate with the bottom port.

If you need any more help let me know.

Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

never done this sorry if i seem retarted but after i take the bolts off the side cover how many other parts will i be dealing with sir?????
thanks ahead of time for the info really appreciate it
Old 11-29-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

thanks guys i will be picking your brains untill spring for lots of things.....new to the forced industion thing....but cant wait to finish project after holidays

thanks thanks thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 AM

If you remove the 6 bolts on the compressor cover, you should be able to pull it away from the center cartridge, drill and tap your hole and bolt it back up and your good to go. You can also loosen the bolts on the back to clock the compressor housing to clear anything that may be in your way same with the exhaust housing.

Quick Break Down.

Exhaust Cover - Can be removed with 6 bolts most of the time (depending on size and make there may be more bolts)

Center Cartridge - This unit contains the exhaust wheel and compressor wheel (1 unit that has been balanced, this is also the unit that gets rebuilt when/if the turbo fails over time)

Compressor Cover - Can be removed with 6 bolts most of the time (depending on size and make there may be more bolts)

Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

sweet thanks guys will do this tonight and post in the morning
by the way its a t4/t3 turbo
Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Default Boost reference

I am running an STS kit on my truck, and just installed an AEM Tru-Boost controller/gauge. Using a TiAL wastegate, I hooked my solenoid up as the instructions depicted. I am having a hard time seeing boost under acceleration no matter what I do. The AEM instructions indicated that the way I hooked up the lines; one off the compressor side of the turbo, one off the top of the wastegate, and one off the side of the wastegate, all going to the solenoid as depicted, as well as a reference from the manifold will yield the most boost. So, I called AEM and the tech guy said that a reference from the manifold was unnecessary. So I thought ok, that saves me running a 16 foot line to the solenoid. He then said that on some wastegates the order in which the lines attach to the solenoid had to be reversed. I have yet to try this. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Quick Reply: wastegate question