Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what kit to go with for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kit to go with for the money?

im not too familiar with the companies that make the forced induction kits for the ls1's. I'm looking at either getting a procharger d1sc, sts turbo kit(besides the gay 1 exhaust pipe in the rear),or vortech supercharger. I dont know exactly what kind of horsepower the d1sc procharger is making on stock internals and heads but any info from anyone would help. Thanks guys, steve
Old 12-01-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would go with the EPP (Exotic Performance Plus) d1sc kit if you are dead set on a supercharger. I am going turbo but that is just me.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Look up BOB at exotic performance plus, they are a sponser on here they've dont numerous amounts of boosted cars. I bought a d1sc kit and will be putting it on as soon as I get more money for more mods needed to go with the d1.

Sorry Bob for not buying the charger from you but, Ill give you guys alot of refferals as to make up for not buying from you guys.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:50 PM
FormerVendor

You might also want to check out the latest form of F/I available to LS1 f-bodies, the Late Model Speed Magnacharger kit! Full details can be seen on our website: www.lmspeed.com

They keep making more and more power, and the low RPM torque is un-believeable

Let me know if I can answer any questions,
Ed
Old 12-01-2007, 11:06 PM
11 Second Club

Out of those three kits (procharger, vortech and STS) I would recommend the APS TT Kit.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:55 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock internals, stock heads, D1SC, EPP=500 easy rwhp. All day.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:52 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Old 12-02-2007, 06:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
finally someone told me the round about hp for stock lol thanks man....ill most likely be going with the d1sc then
Old 12-02-2007, 09:33 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone! With 8 psi of boost from an ATI ProCharger we typically see 140 extra rwhp. An increase of 140 rwhp is a night and day difference, and these kits have been out on the market for a long time, and they are well proven.

Take a look at some of our builds in our project car section.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/projectCars.php

Here is the ProCharger kit I recommend for the F body. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798
Old 12-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Banned

Thanks bob. ill definately end up going with your kit. It wont probably be until mid next year because im waiting for my iraq deployment money then ill be open to whatever mods i wish. thanks for the info and the links
Old 12-02-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would price out APS twin kit versus the procharger. I have had rides in slightly modded ls1 procharger with d1sc and had rides in sts ls1 at 5psi. Had rides as well in procharged lt1 and sts lt1. Sts is decent setup and works pretty good. It still has ground clearance issues and don't like the oil scavenger pump.I also think think the sts kit is a bit overpriced. The procharger cars were a bit more controllable than the turbo cars as you have a much more gradual building of power.This can be good or bad depending on what you like. Turbos will hit pretty hard by 3000 or so full boost and hold that thru the range. Procharger will have like 2psi by 3000,3 by 4000 etc up to say 8 by redline. On the drag strip where you can leave at high rpm the two setups are very similar. And on the street not too bad as you can gear down the turbo or procharger car in an m6.

Still for area under the curve the turbo cars win big time ..if you can hook up the power. APS kits have hit 500rwhp on tired old stock 346. Unlike the sts the kit is more complete. It comes with huge intercooler. Intercooler is option on sts.Also on turbos like option of easily upping your power by turning a dail not changing pulleys. And you can get variable boost controllers to help with traction problems.
And the prochargers also have a bit of annoying rattling they make at idle. Gear noise. Not a huge issue but still bothers me a bit.
Stick with the bigger long standing companies. I lost a couple thousand on a turbo kit from board sponsor a year or so ago.They went bye bye. APS in contrast delivered as promised and ahead of time. APS is very professional and kit is very high quality ,complete with great instructions and every nut and bolt.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OFI KIT? Kentucky truck manifold kit? Or Aps kit, There all very nice.

I would definatly go turbo over blower, but do some more research and figure out what you want.

Chris
Old 12-02-2007, 12:16 PM

I have no "rattle" with my procharger at idle.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Turbo is the way to go on an LS1, as many people have mentioned, the APS kit is hands down the way to go, haven't heard any complaints about their kits.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:21 PM

Well, how long has the APS f-body kit been out? How many people are actually even up and running with the APS kit? Not trying to bash them by any means- they are an awesome company with a great rep, but they are definitely a new player in the f-body FI scene. Procharger is tried and true many many years over.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Banned

well as far as APS goes their u.s. dealers list on their site sux the most...I can even find a price anywhere within their dealers or their site...so if anyone knows a good dealer state side with more info post please, thanks
Old 12-02-2007, 02:46 PM

I think they were having an introductory special a few months ago with a price right at $5000, but I don't know what the regular price is or if they are still selling at that 5k price tag?
Old 12-02-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

APS has been around for years and years and in all the mags. Its true that their f body kits are pretty new and so far on here we have a few cars with the kits installed. And 50 plus kits were sold so think will be hearing a lot more about them.

As to the rattle every procharger I have heard and heard several made a slight but audible rattle at idle. Not saying its the end of the world. My twin disc clutch rattles when you push in the pedal too. The prochargers worked well not saying they didn't although was not overly impressed with the power of the d1 in the 2001SS that drove and had a ride in.It was buddies car since sold,he bought it for resale. The car was fairly stock with just ls6 intake being a 2001, corsa,no cam or heads and it was an auto with no stall and 2.73 gears I think or maybe 3.23 not sure on that either. Oh it had flp headers no cats. The car was not slow and was dynoed at think 550 or so rwhp. But again the car just didn't feel all that powerful till you really had the rpm up there. A stall would have helped. Some 3.73 or at least 3.42 gears also. And the car was carrying a few hundred pounds of extra weight and both me and the driver weighed around 240.

Its personal choice of course. Both power adders work good. And ATI has been around a long time and think the problems with them are pretty minimal. Read about the odd problem. APS has generally pretty good rep but hear the odd bad thing about them sometimes too. Their kits have been on the gtos for awhile and several vettes are running them and many imports.

I can not give a personal review of my APS kit on my car yet as just got my kit at end of season and car is put away. But again there are guys on the board with the kit installed and its making good numbers. Its not rocket science really. Any turbo kit at around 7psi or so should be able to get around 500rwhp on stock engine.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
APS has been around for years and years and in all the mags. Its true that their f body kits are pretty new and so far on here we have a few cars with the kits installed. And 50 plus kits were sold so think will be hearing a lot more about them.

As to the rattle every procharger I have heard and heard several made a slight but audible rattle at idle. Not saying its the end of the world. My twin disc clutch rattles when you push in the pedal too. The prochargers worked well not saying they didn't although was not overly impressed with the power of the d1 in the 2001SS that drove and had a ride in.It was buddies car since sold,he bought it for resale. The car was fairly stock with just ls6 intake being a 2001, corsa,no cam or heads and it was an auto with no stall and 2.73 gears I think or maybe 3.23 not sure on that either. Oh it had flp headers no cats. The car was not slow and was dynoed at think 550 or so rwhp. But again the car just didn't feel all that powerful till you really had the rpm up there. A stall would have helped. Some 3.73 or at least 3.42 gears also. And the car was carrying a few hundred pounds of extra weight and both me and the driver weighed around 240.

Its personal choice of course. Both power adders work good. And ATI has been around a long time and think the problems with them are pretty minimal. Read about the odd problem. APS has generally pretty good rep but hear the odd bad thing about them sometimes too. Their kits have been on the gtos for awhile and several vettes are running them and many imports.

I can not give a personal review of my APS kit on my car yet as just got my kit at end of season and car is put away. But again there are guys on the board with the kit installed and its making good numbers. Its not rocket science really. Any turbo kit at around 7psi or so should be able to get around 500rwhp on stock engine.
where did you order your aps kit from?
Old 12-02-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

If you search on here you can find the threads. The introductory price was 5500 with free shipping. I think reg price now is 5999 and shipping is no longer free.
You can simply email Peter at APS he posts on here pretty frequently and he can sell you a kit direct and give you prices. I got my kit direct from APS. It came a week earlier than they said and was packaged fantastic and quality of all the parts looks excellent.
They have great instructions on their site also and as said every little nut and bolt is included. Main advantages of their twin kit was air conditioning stays. No other accessories like alt have to be relocated.It uses stock fans.Ground clearance looks decent. No oil scavenger pump like sts. Includes intercooler. Doesn't include ypipe or injectors or fuel pump or tuning.

A d1sc would be my second choice for my car and sts would be distant third. The sts while it works great and gives good power as said hangs a bit too low. Buddy with it on his car is paranoid to go over unknown roads in my city and scared to death of train tracks. Also don't like scavenger pump setups. Price of sts was cheap when it first came out but they cranked it up. No intercooler with basic setup either.

Quick Reply: what kit to go with for the money?