Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

best turbo to replace 76GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of times/HP are you making maxing it out. I have a 383 with a T76GTS so I'm curious.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
ST80 game over.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by prostock_bigblock
this thing spools so fast and i am so impressed with its performance to. i am runnin a 1.32 a/r,81mm cw.
We have tested tons of those unitsand use them extensively. Without internal mods and some other tricks,compared to other units they spool like ***. If you haven't tried something else then its all relative. What you think might spool good,spools like **** to someone with a TC unit or a modded S-series unit.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ninetres
ST80 game over.

This is what I had my 76 upgraded to, haven't tried it out yet. For you I say go with the 80, or if you want to go with the 88 its you biggest bet without going to a t6 and having the fitment issues. Depending on your goals the 383should suffice with the 80, but if you are worried get the 88.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

i think the pte88 can come in a t6 flange if you have bigger cubes.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Websy21
This is what I had my 76 upgraded to, haven't tried it out yet. For you I say go with the 80, or if you want to go with the 88 its you biggest bet without going to a t6 and having the fitment issues. Depending on your goals the 383should suffice with the 80, but if you are worried get the 88.

An 80GTS is not a ST80. An ST80 will walk circles around the 80GTS. The compressor wheel flow #'s differ by almost 8 lbs (~90hp).
Old 12-05-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Pic of 76 gts next to t4 88.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
[Pic of 76 gts next to t4 88.
good lord!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
We have tested tons of those unitsand use them extensively. Without internal mods and some other tricks,compared to other units they spool like ***. If you haven't tried something else then its all relative. What you think might spool good,spools like **** to someone with a TC unit or a modded S-series unit.
i didnt want the turbine to be big restriction in low rpms, i get 34mpg and i making around 700rwhp on 5.8 psi on stock factory long block with ls1 intake...etc, the tune was very conservative and timing was 18 , limiter set on 6600rpms.

i choose the turbine to be big and slightly slugish but my main imphases is in mid range and high rpm power.

if there is a gain in spool there is aloss in high rpm power, unless ur turbines r super effecient.

is there a comparission with 1.32 a\r turbine to a an identical turbine setting of a different turbine manafacturer, then and only then we will be able to compare effeciency.

just because my turbine is different does not mean its less effecient.

plus the fact i am saving money with going with this setup, why i should pay 400$ more and see minimal gains if any. convince me otherwise.

so whats make ur turbos beter? besides the black paint .

i dont mean to bash but convince me.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

[QUOTE=prostock_bigblock;8248842]i didnt want the turbine to be big restriction in low rpms, i get 34mpg and i making around 700rwhp on 5.8 psi on stock factory long block with ls1 intake...etc, the tune was very conservative and timing was 18 , limiter set on 6600rpms.

Damn, sound like LS1Motorsport numbers to me......is this Rob?

i choose the turbine to be big and slightly slugish but my main imphases is in mid range and high rpm power.

if there is a gain in spool there is aloss in high rpm power, unless ur turbines r super effecient.

Wrong.....
is there a comparission with 1.32 a\r turbine to a an identical turbine setting of a different turbine manafacturer, then and only then we will be able to compare effeciency.

just because my turbine is different does not mean its less effecient.

You know nothing about the 173 CHRA's then that your unit is built on.....

plus the fact i am saving money with going with this setup, why i should pay 400$ more and see minimal gains if any. convince me otherwise.

so whats make ur turbos beter? besides the black paint .

i dont mean to bash but convince me.

Alot of internal work is done, different parts.....all in all, we make more power, spool faster and can take higher PR's, more choices in housings, turbine wheels....etc. Call and order a 91mm version direct from Borg Warner...let me know how that conversation goes. [/QUOTE]

To sum it up...you get what you pay for. That fact of the matter it you have a really laggy 74mm
Old 12-05-2007, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

this isn't rob, just because my numbers are high does not mean i am lying

whenever you are in North Carolina come over and i will show you the car and i will even dyno it in front of you. and if i get the numbers you pay for the dyno run.

i might only know about my chra , but what does the chra really have to do with the turbine efficiancy.

the matter of fact is my turbo has an 80mm Extended tip compressor wheel.
i never asked about a 91mm compressor wheel. all i need to know is that i can get my 80mm turbo for cheaper and still make big numbers.(Btw there is another
company that starts with bullseye that also sells 91mm borg warner based turbos so what is the big diffence)

why do you feel offended when i ask such questions , a customer has the right to know what he is buying.

i am not trying to advertise for any company nor bash any. i just want to raise the question: How are your turbos really better? what makes them stand out from turbos in the market?

oh and btw you can also measure my inducer if you happen to be around.
just because my turbo was bought from another store does not make it automatically a laggy 74mm.

again,

you say your turbos are diffrent, dont just say internal parts. tell me what makes your turbos diffrent from s400 based turbos.

Let us clarify the diffrences, and this might work for you and make your product stand out.

again i am not trying to offend, may be i was a little tough, but this in fact might work for you ,if indeed your product is way better as claimed and is really worth the diffrence in price.

if confident in your product , my words should mean nothing to you. i just get the feeling that you felt offended .again i like appologize for any hard feelings.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

whenever you are in North Carolina come over
where did you dyno/tune it? I'm from Raleigh and was just curious.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

this isn't rob, just because my numbers are high does not mean i am lying

whenever you are in North Carolina come over and i will show you the car and i will even dyno it in front of you. and if i get the numbers you pay for the dyno run.

i might only know about my chra , but what does the chra really have to do with the turbine efficiancy.

the matter of fact is my turbo has an 80mm Extended tip compressor wheel.
i never asked about a 91mm compressor wheel. all i need to know is that i can get my 80mm turbo for cheaper and still make big numbers.(Btw there is another
company that starts with bullseye that also sells 91mm borg warner based turbos so what is the big diffence)

why do you feel offended when i ask such questions , a customer has the right to know what he is buying.

i am not trying to advertise for any company nor bash any. i just want to raise the question: How are your turbos really better? what makes them stand out from turbos in the market?

oh and btw you can also measure my inducer if you happen to be around.
just because my turbo was bought from another store does not make it automatically a laggy 74mm.

again,

you say your turbos are diffrent, dont just say internal parts. tell me what makes your turbos diffrent from s400 based turbos.

Let us clarify the diffrences, and this might work for you and make your product stand out.

again i am not trying to offend, may be i was a little tough, but this in fact might work for you ,if indeed your product is way better as claimed and is really worth the diffrence in price.

if confident in your product , my words should mean nothing to you. i just get the feeling that you felt offended .again i like appologize for any hard feelings.

Wasn't offended the slightest bit. But we sell alot of units to folks (box stock S400's) due to alot of posts about them. They are great for what they are, but certainly not a quick spooling unit when stock. We get complaints from customer that buy them that they don't spool well after we sell them the units. They see posts by people and get mis-led into buying something that is not for them just cause its cheap.... cheap doesn't mean good.

As for Bullseye their are results out there that set us apart already and ask to see if ANY S491's have ever been built. That was something we were going to build for them as the owner at BEP and Jose are good friends....lol.

As for what is done to the internals....lol, I don't think that will be posted..
Old 12-05-2007, 01:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Also as for your gain in spool = loss of RPM/top end.....like I said, you really ought to call and talk us, alot to be learned from a quick conversation.

Last edited by DrTurbo; 12-05-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

prostock_bigblock....quite interesting stuff youre posting.especially
"if there is a gain in spool there is aloss in high rpm power, unless ur turbines r super effecient." youre using a rather larger turbo with a huge A/R yet have a "dead stock longblock running ~6 psi" You wouldnt max out or have a loss of high rpm power with a 72mm turbo running only 6 psi and youre lowend would be ALOT better.sounds like a Supra setup thats mismatched.i bet an identical car would wax you with a properly sized turbo for the application at the same boost level.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Teching In

well i wouldn't call it a supra setup. don't assume come over and we will open the biggest can of wax you ever see. dyno sheets will be posted in a week or two after tweaking the tune. what do you consider a supra setup ? thats the question supras with big turbos start spooling around 4400-5000 rpm if not more with even larger turbos.
yes i admit that we don't spool like t76 . but i would not consider it laggy. although the turbo is intended for 387ci. still the car has acceptable spool up on a 346ci. the turbo starts to spool around 3000 rpm and full spool is around 4000rpm . why do you need to spool at 2000 rpms. i mean from a dig you definatly lose traction. and from a roll, i dont think your rpm would be under 3000 rpm. well having a quicker spool on the street is fun but does not necessarily mean more power under curve in usuable rpm. but anyways bring it on and we will see whose theories about spool and lag work better.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Teching In

keep in mind that we are using 1 3/4 tublar turbo headers, and that the turbo is sitting in the front like you see inb the pic. moving the turbo closer to the engine and using truck manifolds might reduce lag by a couple of hundred rpms.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxxboost
well i wouldn't call it a supra setup. don't assume come over and we will open the biggest can of wax you ever see. dyno sheets will be posted in a week or two after tweaking the tune. what do you consider a supra setup ? thats the question supras with big turbos start spooling around 4400-5000 rpm if not more with even larger turbos.
yes i admit that we don't spool like t76 . but i would not consider it laggy. although the turbo is intended for 387ci. still the car has acceptable spool up on a 346ci. the turbo starts to spool around 3000 rpm and full spool is around 4000rpm . why do you need to spool at 2000 rpms. i mean from a dig you definatly lose traction. and from a roll, i dont think your rpm would be under 3000 rpm. well having a quicker spool on the street is fun but does not necessarily mean more power under curve in usuable rpm. but anyways bring it on and we will see whose theories about spool and lag work better.
where are you located?obviously you havent seen the stuff that goes in in FL or maybe youre from here thats why youre saying about all this waxing.My 76GTS's boost threshold is ~26-2700rpms IN A 6 SPEED depending on gear.and assuming you have the car setup properly you should have no trouble hooking.Ever wonder why alot of people like twin screws/positive displacement blowers?theres guys out there making 800ft lb's of torque OFF IDLE with them and the power holds til redline.for a drag car sure use a huge turbo and have a high stalled auto since it will stay up in the top of the rpm range but for a streetcar id prefer to have a good low to mid range while still holding power to redline.Kind of having your cake and eating it too.since you and your shop seem to know so much why not throw on a smaller turbo just to see what would happen and notice any driving differences There is no arguing whose theory on spooling and lag is better when you have 1 of the largest if not THE largest turbo distributor in the US telling you youre wrong.maybe thats a clue
Old 12-05-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol he had me till the 34mpg part

i heard the s400's make a good compound turbo, might pick one up if i get this cummins i been wanting.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... i get 34mpg and i making around 700rwhp on 5.8 psi on stock factory long block with ls1 intake...etc, the tune was very conservative and timing was 18 ,
Surely, there must be a few typo's in there.

Quick Reply: best turbo to replace 76GTS?