Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

best turbo to replace 76GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
Take a look at the power curves in the other thread. Something definitely going on with the dyno. The power curve is a straight line, increasing linearly with rpm until they shut off the run. Would have made much more if they hadn't shut it off at 6600 rpm (remember... stock heads and cam).

Mike
I tried pointing that out like 4 hours ago but it said the server was too busy.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i attached my dyno sheet 5.8psi wastegte spring, registering about the same readings on the boost gauge. the car was runing of the stock low octane tables. around 12*-10* (.84 grams/cyl and upward) and boost timing retard was set to 1* per psi. so if you do the math its 12-5=7*. the air fuel ratio is probably richer then 10 in higher rpms. i will tweak the tune then redyno. the tune was sent by my friend/tuner to my email. he never saw the car and never logged any of its runs. that was the first tune he had sent me.of the top of his head. i called him and he says there is a lot left in the tune. timing should be incrased to 18-20* and air/fuel should be around 11.4-11.7 at higher rpms.

one thing to note is that the torque at 2200rpm is 297ft/lb.

enjoy you haters. EAT your heart out. anyways if you still are not satisfied And you have 700rwhp car. we could always do a roll,yeah a ROLL i am not willing to break my stock 10 bolt. i am just a pm away. and place your wagers. i wanna see what a t76 with 6 psi could do??? ddsniper lets see if that spool is really worth getting your *** whipped. and you could see for your self if i am lying or not. bring it on instead of hiding behind your computer.
Attached Thumbnails best turbo to replace 76GTS?-dyno1.jpg  

Last edited by prostock_bigblock; 12-06-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

LMAO i dont need to hide behind anything.you just keep digging yourself deeper.SO you dont even have it dynotuned?!you had a tune emailed to you and then dyno'd?and you have no clue what the A/F is?and on top of all this according to your other thread
"
fuel system was completly stock except for the 60lb injectors"

Theres so many things wrong i wouldnt know where to begin.Next time youre in FL shoot me a pm and ill even go from a roll as you asked and show u area under the curve.On a completely serious note,a stock ls1 makes roughly 300rwhp in an M6 right?and youre claiming 700rwhp on 6psi?thats 67RWHP/PSI ON A STOCK MOTOR?you dont see something wrong with that picture?
Old 12-06-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by prostock_bigblock
i attached my dyno sheet 5.8psi wastegte spring, registering about the same readings on the boost gauge. the car was runing of the stock low octane tables. around 12*-10* (.84 grams/cyl and upward) and boost timing retard was set to 1* per psi. so if you do the math its 12-5=7*. the air fuel ratio is probably richer then 10 in higher rpms. i will tweak the tune then redyno. the tune was sent by my friend/tuner to my email. he never saw the car and never logged any of its runs. that was the first tune he had sent me.of the top of his head. i called him and he says there is a lot left in the tune. timing should be incrased to 18-20* and air/fuel should be around 11.4-11.7 at higher rpms.

one thing to note is that the torque at 2200rpm is 297ft/lb.

enjoy you haters. EAT your heart out. anyways if you still are not satisfied And you have 700rwhp car. we could always do a roll,yeah a ROLL i am not willing to break my stock 10 bolt. i am just a pm away. and place your wagers. i wanna see what a t76 with 6 psi could do??? ddsniper lets see if that spool is really worth getting your *** whipped. and you could see for your self if i am lying or not. bring it on instead of hiding behind your computer.

no need to get your panties in a bunch... Most of us are just giving you **** cause to all the people who do that for a living... it doesnt make much sense. Me... its a hobby, and to be honest im prob no where near as mechanically inclined as you or anyone else on the forums. I just make these assertations based off experiences Ive seen on ls1tech, and real life experiences Ive seen in person.

Ive never seen a stock block ls1 motor make more then 6xxrwhp and live very long...

18* timing to me seems somewhat aggressive although your not making a ton of boost... Maybe you just might have a magical formula that works really well, and your tuner knows his ****. Maybe they accidentally filled the 93/91 octane pumps at the gas station with 101 so you can run more timing and get no knock... I dont know.

but if it legitimately does make that power... :

1. like other say take it to the track and see how it does.

2. Id be very weary pushing it very hard... Id keep a spare longblock on the side for when it blows up.

Good luck with your setup either way... sounds "interesting" non the less.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
LMAO i dont need to hide behind anything.you just keep digging yourself deeper.SO you dont even have it dynotuned?!you had a tune emailed to you and then dyno'd?and you have no clue what the A/F is?and on top of all this according to your other thread
"
fuel system was completly stock except for the 60lb injectors"

Theres so many things wrong i wouldnt know where to begin.Next time youre in FL shoot me a pm and ill even go from a roll as you asked and show u area under the curve.On a completely serious note,a stock ls1 makes roughly 300rwhp in an M6 right?and youre claiming 700rwhp on 6psi?thats 67RWHP/PSI ON A STOCK MOTOR?you dont see something wrong with that picture?
60lb injectors when i was running 2.8psi. now i have an aeromotive eliminator pump,fuel regulator,fuel rails. it doesn't matter what my fuel system is i know one thing :your *** is mine.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

60lb injectors when i was running 2.8psi. now i have an aeromotive eliminator pump,fuel regulator,fuel rails. it doesn't matter what my fuel system is i know one thing :your *** is mine.
big words from someone who doesnt know anything about my car other than i spool a hell of a lot earlier than you
Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i making around 700rwhp on 5.8 psi on stock factory long block with ls1 intake...etc, the tune was very conservative and timing was 18.
... the car was runing of the stock low octane tables. around 12*-10* (.84 grams/cyl and upward) and boost timing retard was set to 1* per psi. so if you do the math its 12-5=7*.
So your timing was 18, and now it was 7. There are more holes in your story than a fish net.

To wrap it up. . . a stock long block LS1, making 700 rwhp at 6300 rpm on 5.8 psi boost on a mail-order tune, using 7 deg timing and fatter than 10/1 A/F ratio, all the while getting 34 mpg (better than 2008 Honda Civic DX). Jeez, I wonder why no one believes this. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. . .

Mike
Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does my 135mph trap count in your 700 club? yes i have taken my 3700lb car to the track and backed up my numbers (not that i have gone to any dyno other then the real one the 1320)
but my set up is a little more believable as i was only getting 20mpg, running 42lb injectors at 90psi at 100+ duty cycle on a build motor. and my pte88 was seeing 15psi at around 4000rpm with 347 cubes, none of this low boost bull crap
Old 12-06-2007, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Geek
Maybe he is making the power he says but sh*t why the big deal? It doesn't belong to any of us, nor were we there when he says he did so. I am more interested in the original subject of what turbo is better to replace the "76" with.......

Jim C.
hey, i don't know who you are, but thanks for at least trying to save the thread. after looking at the comparison photo (if that was a PTE88) i don't think it'll fit because the exhaust housing will basically be inside my radiator. no other suggestions besides the PTE?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

you know why there is holes in the story let me clarify a few things:
1- on the mpg i calculated it wrong(i admit it, i will recalculate it using the meathod given by engineermike), i never knew how to calculate it. and if you read my earlier posts i never really had to.
2-on the timing issue : the timing was on the 1 bar setup set at 18* (total timing)
3-on the tune that i have now (2bar) the timing is set @ 7* (total timing)
4-the dyno cannot read less then 10:1 afr, i am pretty damn sure its richer then that.

how you may ask ?? my only explaination is that:
1- cooler intake temps (turbo mounted front of radiator, large effcient intercooler and finally a less heat soaked system) most of the setups here are setups that run cross flow intercoolers and have the turbo sitting in the engine compartment and a heat soaked piping. is this really why i am gaining much i personally don't know. but i will log a few runs and compare IAT and ambient temps. again this might be gaining me mpg ?? cuz of the denser air which also means i can run leaner afr....
2- turbo headers?
3- big turbine housing

i am just saying why can't we learn from this setup. i mean i am learning myself.i get attacked? what do i really gain by telling my setup is making 700 rwhp. i dont own a turbo fab shop. its just me and my friend/tuner that are working on this car and are just trying to be innovative thats all.

why not make this an informative disscusion , i will address some of things that are worthy of mentioning:
1- to what degree does intercooler efficiency and flow affect performance?
2- to what degree does heat soaking affect performance?
3- what is an efficient turbine setup?? what is usuable and what is not??
4- i also noticed something the air/fuel ratio and timing affect how the turbo responds. i think retarding the timing and keeping it lean just before boost kicks in like you see on my dyno sheet, can be worth it and still be safe. do you think 297 rwtq @ 2200 is amazing?well at least i think so (while no boost) or it might be th swirl affect produced by turbo compressor when not spooled also might be contributing to better MPG.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, i will be available from 15-25 december, after that i will only be free on weekends. and btw my tuner (maxxxboost) is in columbus,ohio. i know one thing , its not snowing down here. i will have to tweak the tune first and you can come over and see the dyno run for yourself and race afterwords and maybe after that we can go for a drink or something.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TURBO383WS6
hey, i don't know who you are, but thanks for at least trying to save the thread. after looking at the comparison photo (if that was a PTE88) i don't think it'll fit because the exhaust housing will basically be inside my radiator. no other suggestions besides the PTE?
if your wanting to make more power, enough to warrant a new turbo then your best bet is the pte88, you next closet option would be forced inductions t80gts, were they take the 76 and made it to an 80mm which gives it a tad more power, might be enough to satisfy you, might not.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Closed Sponsor Account

i wasnt gonna get in on this but...........
you know why there is holes in the story let me clarify a few things:
1- on the mpg i calculated it wrong(i admit it, i will recalculate it using the meathod given by engineermike), i never knew how to calculate it. and if you read my earlier posts i never really had to.
2-on the timing issue : the timing was on the 1 bar setup set at 18* (total timing) im on 17* timing
3-on the tune that i have now (2bar) the timing is set @ 7* (total timing)that is a roughly cal loss of over 100hp
4-the dyno cannot read less then 10:1 afr, i am pretty damn sure its richer then that. i have spark blow out at 11.0A/F, please please tell me what kind of spark plugs you have, so i can buy them

how you may ask ?? my only explaination is that:
1- cooler intake temps (turbo mounted front of radiator, large effcient intercooler and finally a less heat soaked system) most of the setups here are setups that run cross flow intercoolers and have the turbo sitting in the engine compartment and a heat soaked piping. is this really why i am gaining much i personally don't know. but i will log a few runs and compare IAT and ambient temps. again this might be gaining me mpg ?? cuz of the denser air which also means i can run leaner afr.... my turbo is mounted where the stock battery is and away from everything and has much much less turbo piping then you, yours is like an STS, and my IAT never go over 95degrees with my 33" by 4" intercooler, and my coolant stays dead at 180-185 even on the hottest day
2- turbo headers?i have them too
3- big turbine housingi have a .96 but i dont think that makes up for power gains/losses

and i made around 500RWHP WITH lq9 heads and a cam

i am just saying why can't we learn from this setup. i mean i am learning myself.i get attacked? what do i really gain by telling my setup is making 700 rwhp. i dont own a turbo fab shop. its just me and my friend/tuner that are working on this car and are just trying to be innovative thats all.

why not make this an informative disscusion , i will address some of things that are worthy of mentioning:
1- to what degree does intercooler efficiency and flow affect performance?
2- to what degree does heat soaking affect performance?
3- what is an efficient turbine setup?? what is usuable and what is not??
4- i also noticed something the air/fuel ratio and timing affect how the turbo responds. i think retarding the timing and keeping it lean just before boost kicks in like you see on my dyno sheet, can be worth it and still be safe. do you think 297 rwtq @ 2200 is amazing?well at least i think so (while no boost) or it might be th swirl affect produced by turbo compressor when not spooled also might be contributing to better MPG.
i only post this to let you know why people are arguing with you, hope you better understand now
Old 12-07-2007, 01:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I was a mod so I could just lock this abomination of a thread.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TURBO383WS6
No problem, I am still interested in the original subject content. Obviously the PT76GTS has provided plenty of performance on these motors but I am curious about the likes of the PT78GTS as well as others. I was talking with Cal (Hartline) Wendsday and he mentioned that he would like for me to try a GT4276 with a 1.28 A/R. The problem that I have is packaging and with that one being a large frame turbo there are some serious space considerations. I don't want to be removing sections of the downpipe via v-band clamps in order to get to the plugs. I am not skinny so getting my big azz forearms in the engine bay is always a consideration. At this point in my life I am no longer interested in strip oriented cars. Been there, done that and have decided to build this one as my Buick was done by keeping the A/C, overdrive and the rest of the accessories. I realize that the PT78GTS only offers an extra "50-hp" but I am curious as to how much lower the IATs would be (if any) by stepping up to one. I am guessing they utilize the same compressor housings but wonder if the larger wheel would produce lower temps or would the compression of the intake air be roughly the same. I realize that even with my built motor (Forged 347 c.i.) that I could certainly spool a much larger turbo but I am utilizing a much smaller camshaft than most 210/205@.050 and plan to be done by 6000. Such as my Buick I want a near instant spool and torque that plants your hiney in the seat. I have even thought about trying out a T74GTS for the type of spooling characteristics I am looking for but thought that it might be a little too small. I guess I will stick with the P76GTS for now since more seemed interested in argueing over who is making what instead of listing their experiences and or opinions over your question.

Jim C.

PS-This has always been one of my favorite sites but there are times when it would seem that it is getting to be as bad as some of the other automotive forums with all of the dogpiling over the most trivial of issues. I sure would like to see it get back to more tech oriented discussions and helpful information. Just my .02 cents.

J
Old 12-07-2007, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
if your wanting to make more power, enough to warrant a new turbo then your best bet is the pte88, you next closet option would be forced inductions t80gts, were they take the 76 and made it to an 80mm which gives it a tad more power, might be enough to satisfy you, might not.
i thought FI wasnt doing those anymore
Old 12-07-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
i thought FI wasnt doing those anymore
hmm maybe they arent, i hadnt heard, i know they said they arnt doing the s95s and bigger as they were to big to fit, but didnt hear about the t80gts as i dont see it on their website now.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
hmm maybe they arent, i hadnt heard, i know they said they arnt doing the s95s and bigger as they were to big to fit, but didnt hear about the t80gts as i dont see it on their website now.
The 80 was stopped because the comp wheel casting changed and changed for the worse.

The S95's and such we stopped cause nobody could fit the damn things anywhere. That is what the FI-X series units will take the place of. Much smaller packaging and better stuff now as well anyway.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

i guess if spool up was the main issue, the gt42-76 is a quick spooler. what do you think Jose? yeah its expensive but its really responsive.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess if spool up was the main issue, the gt42-76 is a quick spooler. what do you think Jose? yeah its expensive but its really responsive.
A 42-76 will spool decent.....very much like a 76GTS.

JZ 97 SS 1500 is Jose......

Quick Reply: best turbo to replace 76GTS?