Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why use truck manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why use truck manifolds?

I was wondering what the reasons are for using them vs stock manifolds. Is it the flow or the position of the outlets? Or something else? I am looking to do a rear mount and need to get rid of my LT's.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the main reason is the way they position the outlets, clears the steering shaft on the fbody
the vette manafolds flow a little better, so if you can fit them in you rx7 it would probably work best if you use them
when are you going to do this, are you doing it yourself? you have a welder, id be willing to help you if needed.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

If you are doing a rear mount I wouldn't see why you would need the truck manifolds, stock ones would be fine.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like he said, the truck manifolds are a inexpensive way to a front mount application. Keep your long tubes for the rear mount setup.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
the main reason is the way they position the outlets, clears the steering shaft on the fbody
the vette manafolds flow a little better, so if you can fit them in you rx7 it would probably work best if you use them
when are you going to do this, are you doing it yourself? you have a welder, id be willing to help you if needed.
From looking at pics that's kinda what I figured. I don't know if it would be worth trying the vette manifolds and have them not fit. So I'll probably just find some stockers.

I may take you up on the help part. I've got a welder/with gas but haven't really used it for anything yet.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
like he said, the truck manifolds are a inexpensive way to a front mount application. Keep your long tubes for the rear mount setup.
dont keep ur long tubes for a rear mount setup. Switch to stock manifolds to help with spool. Its been beaten to death already, long tubes and rear mounts suck big time. Good luck with the build
Old 12-08-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blacksi
From looking at pics that's kinda what I figured. I don't know if it would be worth trying the vette manifolds and have them not fit. So I'll probably just find some stockers.

I may take you up on the help part. I've got a welder/with gas but haven't really used it for anything yet.
i have a mig and tig that i use on mine, so i can do aluminum and steel.
have you figured out what turbo you are going to use yet?
Old 12-08-2007, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Not the exact one but most likely a t76.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fenix999
dont keep ur long tubes for a rear mount setup. Switch to stock manifolds to help with spool. Its been beaten to death already, long tubes and rear mounts suck big time. Good luck with the build
Thank you. Glad somebody else noticed this post too. Long tubes and a rear mount are basically useless. You will still see boost just not nearly as much and will take alot longer to spool. If going for looks go with some Hooker super Comp coated shorties. Best of both worlds.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

That truck manifold **** will never work, how many times do I have to tell you guys!!
Old 12-09-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by InconFormula
That truck manifold **** will never work, how many times do I have to tell you guys!!
haha
Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a set of stock manifolds, and vette manifolds, the vette ones had longer tubes on the ends, they look like they could work well for a front mount setup.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

what i dont get is the people who want a/c (i live in florida) and have above average welding skills to made a grade A home kit and dont take the extra day or two to fab up a nice manifold for the passenger side to route around the compressor and use a truck manifold on the drivers side. how come no one does this?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hennytime
what i dont get is the people who want a/c (i live in florida) and have above average welding skills to made a grade A home kit and dont take the extra day or two to fab up a nice manifold for the passenger side to route around the compressor and use a truck manifold on the drivers side. how come no one does this?

I don't have an fbody so I don't know for sure but I would assume with most cars the steering column and supporting units are mounted on the drivers side.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have any pics of your setup?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SuperC1
You have any pics of your setup?
I don't have a setup to show, I'd like to have a t76 setup or maybe a s80 but not or a while. I ju wondered why no on makes a maniold to route around the a/c compressor and then use a truck manifold or the drivers side
Old 01-30-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have a setup to show, I'd like to have a t76 setup or maybe a s80 but not or a while. I ju wondered why no on makes a maniold to route around the a/c compressor and then use a truck manifold or the drivers side
Someone did...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=truck+c6
Attached Thumbnails Why use truck manifolds?-c6-manifold-ac.jpg  
Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

I think with the new BMR k-member more options will be available for those that want a/c. Would be easy to use a truck manifold on the driver side and a stock on the passenger side with it. The compressor being gone makes for a nice downpipe location though.

blacksi,
You might want to make a post on the local boards to see if anyone has some stock manifolds to try out on your car. With it being a transplant you might find that some off a Vette will work better than a F cars. Or even some off a GTO may be a good choice. Either ones will support more power than your looking to make.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

i guess thats the c6 piece that clears the a/c compressor in the stock location FTMFW!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep thats the new one that eliminated all of the twist and turns of the old setup.