Some pics of the inside of the old 346 and new 365

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:58 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Kevin, any 1/4 miles tracks near you stay open all year? Bob
Darlington SC and Rockingham NC are open all year, along with Carolina dragway. They are all 340 miles SE of me, Steele Alabama is 200 miles south of me and open all year but its not a great track for fast 1/4 mile cars. Both Darlington and Rockingham are very nice tracks, shut down is kinda rough at Carolina.

Originally Posted by Chicago Crew UnderBoss
Great post, and best of luck to you on your new motor which should propel you into the 8s!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope it will since the old motor got me in the 8s

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Nice info Kevin, I hope you have good luck with this motor as well. Though I think "luck" didn't have much to do with it. You make me feel like a lazy _____! Mines been sitting up on my lift for the last 5 or 6 weeks, untouched!
I am really bored with the car so I dont even feel like working it, if I had a lift I probably would forget I even owned it. But I have to see it every day so I may as well work on it..

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Damn......all of mine look like that.
I think its fairly normal for them to move around a little, this 346 is the newer style block that takes all the same size head bolts like the LS2 so I think its a little stronger than the older LS1/6 blocks in the main area.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought you were contemplating going turbo this year? It be amazing to see how much you can push a "small" turbo with your combo.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you say you got new AFR 225's? or are these the same ones from last year?

Are the new ones the large bore I presume? And what were the old ones and what did you do with them fi you got new ones?
Old 12-09-2007, 09:31 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
I thought you were contemplating going turbo this year? It be amazing to see how much you can push a "small" turbo with your combo.
Well, if I ever had any issues with the blower I would have made the switch, honestly I'm pretty sure I could see 8.70s with the F1A and really I dont want to go much quicker so why fix what isnt broke.

Originally Posted by No Juice
Did you say you got new AFR 225's? or are these the same ones from last year?

Are the new ones the large bore I presume? And what were the old ones and what did you do with them fi you got new ones?
I put new 72cc AFR 225s on, the old 65cc AFR 225 'small bore' heads I ran are sold, same with the old 347 short block.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Well, if I ever had any issues with the blower I would have made the switch, honestly I'm pretty sure I could see 8.70s with the F1A and really I dont want to go much quicker so why fix what isnt broke.

I put new 72cc AFR 225s on, the old 65cc AFR 225 'small bore' heads I ran are sold, same with the old 347 short block.
I hear ya on that and I know that's your style. good luck i'm sure you'll do high 8's consistently.

Are ya bored with the car yet? lol
Old 12-09-2007, 10:31 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I hear ya on that and I know that's your style. good luck i'm sure you'll do high 8's consistently.

Are ya bored with the car yet? lol
I'm pretty bored with it, ready to come and get it?

Its all fresh and ready to go
Old 12-09-2007, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

Ok throw me the keys!

do you manually shift your car? Do you have a ratchet type of shifter if you do?

I'm sure you'd ask good $$ for your car but its worth every penny.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:41 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Ok throw me the keys!

do you manually shift your car? Do you have a ratchet type of shifter if you do?

I'm sure you'd ask good $$ for your car but its worth every penny.
I have a B&M prostick and I shift it myself, its not a ratchet but its gated.

Next week I'm finally going to break down and put an air shifter in the car though, going to be doing more index/bracket racing this year.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

that's cheating.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:52 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Me neither, maybe number #7 isnt the only 'bad' cylinder But there is a lot of things that can cause the pistons to do that and its not really as bad as it looks. I've put worst looking pistons than that back into an engine and ran it. My biggest concern was the main caps and stock crank and that all looked like new. Pistons take a hell of a beating on these with the short skirts..
I was interested to see what your crank would look like after reading the thread about high hp stock cranks.

Originally Posted by kp
Didn't you buy Nineballs turbo parts he was going to put on the formula drag car?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:04 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg

Didn't you buy Nineballs turbo parts he was going to put on the formula drag car?
Yea, that was like 2 years ago, I sold it all a while back though.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:42 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!

Am I correct in saying that you are running your D1SC and F1 with a 6 rib belt??

Thx

Also, when I bent a (oem) rod in my engine....strangely, it was #1 everything else in the engine looked perfect??? and it never detonated, overheated or otherwise...plus very rich tune.

Thanks for sharing...
Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by rjw
Am I correct in saying that you are running your D1SC and F1 with a 6 rib belt??

Thx

Also, when I bent a (oem) rod in my engine....strangely, it was #1 everything else in the engine looked perfect??? and it never detonated, overheated or otherwise...plus very rich tune.

Thanks for sharing...
Its an 8 rib SDCE spring tensioned drive.

You never know, only takes 1/10 of a second of detonation to hurt something, one thing about engine parts is they arent capable of lying
Old 12-10-2007, 10:35 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!

Originally Posted by kp
Its an 8 rib SDCE spring tensioned drive.

You never know, only takes 1/10 of a second of detonation to hurt something, one thing about engine parts is they arent capable of lying
I was curious, because in the pics of your new engine, it looked like a 6 rib ati damper on the crank snout.

I wonder if oem rods might fib a little??

thx
Old 12-10-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Kevin, do you break in your motors with the chargers, or run them N/A without the blower belt?? Also do you swap the initial procharger oil in your old D1SC or just wait the 6,000 miles???

Mine is about done, and I was wondering if I should break it in with the charger (Ed Wright Mail order, till I can get it down there)?
Any help appreciated
Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by rjw
I was curious, because in the pics of your new engine, it looked like a 6 rib ati damper on the crank snout.

I wonder if oem rods might fib a little??

thx
F bodies use another pulley that bolts to the front of the damper and has a separate belt, unlike the C5s that have a rack and pinion 1/2" from the damper and run the blower of the main drive.

I ran stock rods well into the 9s for a full season and never bent one, matter of fact two years later the same short block is still running fine in a heads/cam daily driver. But its more than possible one rod was tweaked a little when it was new (or sometime in its life) and just failed.

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Hey Kevin, do you break in your motors with the chargers, or run them N/A without the blower belt?? Also do you swap the initial procharger oil in your old D1SC or just wait the 6,000 miles???

Mine is about done, and I was wondering if I should break it in with the charger (Ed Wright Mail order, till I can get it down there)?
Any help appreciated
Since I dont drive the car on the street anymore I just heat cycle it a few times, bring it up on the trans brake a few times, change the oil, make a couple easy passes to make sure nothing is leaking or coming lose and just run it. Break in is something that you will never get the same answer on, the blower itself wont hurt anything unless you floor it but the tne has to be close, dont want it super rich or super lean.

I just change the procharger oil once in a while, dont put many miles on it, but I do change it twice a year or so. If its a new blower I think they recommend changing the oil after the first 500 miles, then do it every 6K.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Kev for the info, I'll talk to Ed and most likely break it in with the blower, Just not redline it like you said. The mail order is just to make sure everything is right with the entire setup, and then off to the dyno.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:45 PM
11 Second Truck Club

kev...what bearings and rings were you running in your old motor?
Old 12-13-2007, 04:17 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Dont remember, think the mains were clevite and the rods were FM. Didnt pay attention to what was in there to be honest. Rings were regular moly speed pro.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

ever dyno the F1-A setup?

Quick Reply: Some pics of the inside of the old 346 and new 365