Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

400inch motor + F1C + SDCE... thoughts/ opinons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:57 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SDCE
Remember, when we made our tensioner system, F series blowers were not even available! Our tensioner system was designed as a fix for the average "street" cars using the P series and the D series blowers up to 1000HP. As far as not working with the F series making a ton of nut like you, KP, we see no reason it shouldn't work with a little extra R&D and testing. We haven't seen enough people in this range with severe belt slip issues to warrant modifications or a new tensioner design, but if you guys want it, we'll make it....the original SDCE tensioner is tried and true, and we can certainly handle the task of taking it to the next level. Assuming the 8 rib belts can stand up to it...
I agree 100%, the SDCE is the one of the reasons I'm still using a procharger and havent jumped ship to a turbo. It will certainly max out a D1SC with no problem with very little tension on the belt. I never implied the SDCE was flawed, you are just only going to go so far on an 8 rib belt.

You probably know this already KP, but for those that want some insight, the slip you're seeing in first gear is from INSTANT ACCELERATION!! trans brake and stick cars are good for this. the engine goes from high rpm's to low rpm's instantly. At that point in time, the tensioner is physically on the wrong side of the belt. The blower is spinning faster than the engine -trying to "drive" it. If and when you want to mess with the C or the R KP, you let us know and we'll make sure our tensioner stands up to the task as long as the 8 rib belts will take it!
No doubt, even a 2 step at 3000rpm is hell on on the blower and crank. You have an engine bouncing between 2500 and 3000 rpm and I have watched the belt with the car on the 2 step and brake and its not pretty But yea, you are going from 3000 to 5500rpm (converter flash) in the blink of an eye. After that the car sees from 6300 to 7300rpm and thats it. I would expect to see some slip in 1st gear, but you can see the bigger the blower the more pronounced it gets. But it really may not even be a bad thing, its pretty consistent ET-wise so it cant be that bad.

As far as Cog drive, think of the same instant acceleration rate as discussed above - the rpm's still go from high to low instantly - all that energy still has to go somewhere...it just gets filtered thru the crank and the engine ultimately beating the hell out of it. (take a credit card and bend it back and forth...you can only do it so many times before it breaks) In our research and testing, cog systems didn't stand up to 450 or so HP, so we couldn't see how the hell it was going to stand up and last for any more than that?? UNLESS you're a professional race team and you can afford to replace your crank and/or engine on a regular basis, cog systems aren't very practical or efficient for the everyday racer.
I'm not a big fan of cogs for that reason, there is no 'give' and thats why you see a lot of cars with bigger centris go through belts like they are going out of style. But there are also some that go for a long time on a belt so a lot has to do with how its set up. Couple guys here had cog setups on the stock brackets and both of them didnt work well at all - they both switched to the SDCE. As far as me I have no plans of stepping it up. This car has far exceeded what I wanted it to do and this year I'll run the D1SC most of the time and just have some fun with it..
Old 01-07-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kev, you ever replace the tensioner?
The SDCE tensioner thats on your car might be a lil worn out after all the abuse its been through. Maybe a new tensioner will help 1st gear slip some. The spring might've relaxed over the years/passes.

Wendy/Scott how are you guys doing, nice to see you post up again. I say develope a stronger tensioner for guys that are willing to push it, so they have an option.
SDCE Rocks....
Jeremy
Old 01-08-2008, 01:13 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I can crank up the tension pretty high and it really doesnt change anything. I also have another brand new SDCE setup I bought a while back and I have swapped the tensioner out a couple times with the new one and didnt see any real difference.

But like I said most people wont even know if it was slipping a little, and for some a little slip in 1st gear may even be a good thing. On the dyno or making blasts on the street its nothing anyone would even notice. Since I dont have an F1C or F1R I can only guess, maybe it will work fine on an F1R but until someone is running low 8s with one who knows..
Old 01-08-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SDCE GODS...

We will bow down if y'all can create a rip setup to handle an F1C/ F1R or even an F2M... KP and I have identical setups and nearly identical ETs. WE WANT MORE! But we dont know how far the SDCE setup will go... I'm willing to try it with an F1C but i'm gonna be upset if it works, because I'll wish i went with an F1R!!! haha

My LsX will hand more than enuff boost you can throw at it...

I sent you guys an PM, as well...

Jay
Old 01-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Banned

pm sent
Old 01-09-2008, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blownramair
SDCE GODS...

We will bow down if y'all can create a rip setup to handle an F1C/ F1R or even an F2M... KP and I have identical setups and nearly identical ETs. WE WANT MORE! But we dont know how far the SDCE setup will go... I'm willing to try it with an F1C but i'm gonna be upset if it works, because I'll wish i went with an F1R!!! haha

My LsX will hand more than enuff boost you can throw at it...

I sent you guys an PM, as well...

Jay
Pm's sent to both of you as well.
figured I'd post here, too, for those following the thread.

Right now, you're all asking for a fix without there being a problem!!!
So far, until proven wrong, we see no reason why our 8 rib tensioner system will not work. Until someone tries it, we can't make any changes/upgrades as we don't have any idea what the problem could be. For those of you with the F1C and F1R head units, we want to hear about your progress so we can stay on top of it and modify it IF needed. We'll need some details on your setups. I'll PM you Jay to get some more info from you..
We hope your only problem is not enough blower! hahaha....
Who knows for sure until we see some track tests -

Thank all of you for your continued support.
See you at the track!

Wendy

www.youtube.com/sdconcepts (see our 11 sec "tow" truck, our 8 sec Challenger, our 10 sec Grand National!)

PS - JEREMY!!!!! Hey stranger! How's life been to you lately?!
Old 01-09-2008, 01:14 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Right now, you're all asking for a fix without there being a problem!!!

Wendy
Exactly, an F1A at 72K impeller with a 5.4 step-up certainly takes some power to turn with a good flowing setup. I may try an F1C a little later in the year but my intercooler setup is marginal even with the F1A. I'm going to try for 8s with the D1SC first, it will give me something to do for little money
Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wendy, its been great....will PM you
Old 01-10-2008, 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will keep all of you guys posted as with my setup. I still do not know what blower I will be going with. Engine still being built. I will be pushing the limits of the SDCE and going to see how far it goes with the biggest Procharger possible.

Jay
Old 01-10-2008, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blownramair
I will keep all of you guys posted as with my setup. I still do not know what blower I will be going with. Engine still being built. I will be pushing the limits of the SDCE and going to see how far it goes with the biggest Procharger possible.

Jay

It's not always about the "biggest" blower....it has more to do with the RIGHT blower for your particular engine/car combo.
If they're not compatible, you're not going to get the most out of it. Remember, KP is running 8's on an F1A....

KP...what size is your intercooler? Ever think of going meth instead?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:37 AM
kp
8 Second Club

It's not always about the "biggest" blower....it has more to do with the RIGHT blower for your particular engine/car combo.
If they're not compatible, you're not going to get the most out of it. Remember, KP is running 8's on an F1A....

KP...what size is your intercooler? Ever think of going meth instead?
I'm just using the 4" core ebay intercooler, forget the dimensions. I think about meth injection but since I bracket/index race the car more than anything I dont need another thing to fail. An air to water with ice would net the best results but I'm too lazy to deal with putting ice in it.

Honestly I'm pretty content with how the car runs and I'm really not looking to change anything. I think with a fresh engine and some decent weather I can go 8.70s with the F1A if I pushed it and thats quick enough for me with this car.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

KP,

Can you confirm what blower pulley and belt length you are using??

Thanks,
Wendy
Old 01-10-2008, 03:27 PM
kp
8 Second Club

KP,

Can you confirm what blower pulley and belt length you are using??

Thanks,
Wendy
I dont remember the belt length, something 485 if I recall, I'll have to look next time I'm in the garage. Thats with a 4" pulley on the F1A, I'm going to run a 3.85 pulley on the F1A next time I try it though.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kp
I dont remember the belt length, something 485 if I recall, I'll have to look next time I'm in the garage. Thats with a 4" pulley on the F1A, I'm going to run a 3.85 pulley on the F1A next time I try it though.

Thanks. Let me know the belt length when you get a chance. what belt will you use with the 3.85?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:24 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Thanks. Let me know the belt length when you get a chance. what belt will you use with the 3.85?
Same belt, I use the same belt on the 3.4 on the D1SC all the way to the 4.25. Even though I have to move the lower idler a little for the 4.25, but I dont use that one often. Belt is a NAPA 080525.

Quick Reply: 400inch motor + F1C + SDCE... thoughts/ opinons?