Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo or procharger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a prochrger kit and get it from Epp.they are great to deal with!
Old 12-26-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im sure the procharger is a nice set up and i believe that EPP is a good sponsor of this board. but i get tired of all the Bashing EPP does on the STS when they are trying to push their product. a full STS kit from a non sponsor on this board complete with an intercooler costs the same as your base D-1 kit. i know you guys built an STS car and i believe it put down some nice numbers . if the procharger is such a good unit it should be able to sell itself and not degrade another.

back to the original post the STS kit is very good. yes it is just as easy to install as all other kits. my car on 9psi makes 500rwhp through an A4. a D-1 procharger would not make any more power at that psi. great daily driver, i dont have the car lowered and i have no clearance issues.
good luck on your decision .
Old 12-26-2007, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Procharger all the way!!!!! Not that turbo's are bad, i just dont know anything about them ....lol
Old 12-26-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chose to go with a Procharger setup simply because I have to worry about emissions. When you ask the question Turbo or Procharger, you have to think to yourself what are your goals for starters, what are the pros & cons for each kit and lastly, what pros and cons are you willing to put up with. Learn from the experiences people have had with a particular kit(s) of your choice and also keep into consideration that there are always two sides to a story. Everyone has their own preference of which kit they'd prefer to have which is why it's entirely up to you to choose which kit you want because regardless of what people say, in the end it's your money, your car and your satisfaction that should matter the most to you. Just my two Ab Lincolns...

p.s. Checkout the stickies in this section of the forum to help you out...

Last edited by Zeke34; 12-26-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by smoke20
im sure the procharger is a nice set up and i believe that EPP is a good sponsor of this board. but i get tired of all the Bashing EPP does on the STS when they are trying to push their product. a full STS kit from a non sponsor on this board complete with an intercooler costs the same as your base D-1 kit. i know you guys built an STS car and i believe it put down some nice numbers . if the procharger is such a good unit it should be able to sell itself and not degrade another.

back to the original post the STS kit is very good. yes it is just as easy to install as all other kits. my car on 9psi makes 500rwhp through an A4. a D-1 procharger would not make any more power at that psi. great daily driver, i dont have the car lowered and i have no clearance issues.
good luck on your decision .
Belive it or not, im not trying to bash the STS kit. We have done multiple installs of either kit and this is the consistant result. The results from others show the same. I cannot remember how manny times i have been asked for the silicone peice that goes to the TB from the up pipe in the sts kit, being a 1ply silicone they do not last, hell they even suck shut before boost hits.

Bashing is one thing, a flawed kit is another. I can sell a product just beacouse i like it, or i can be a honest guy and get you what you really want, something that wont nickle and dime you to death.

Im a fan of turbos as well, we do full turbo installs and custom kits, not just he ATI stuff. We put together a package for the average joe to buy and install him self, have little or no worries, it includes everything you need, sans a dyno run.

The rear mount kits run great, look at MajorSpray and his new TT setup, one of the few vettes that can wheelie like that.

In the end, its defiantly about the customer, i will not sell or push a product if i would not install it on my own car, plain and simple.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

thanks jake,it makes sense to me,seems to be right on 2 accounts 1-budget 2 simplicty.thanks epp
Old 12-26-2007, 06:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by johnnydje
thanks jake,it makes sense to me,seems to be right on 2 accounts 1-budget 2 simplicty.thanks epp
Not a problem, in the end its all about the customer. If it was not for you guys we would not be here.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

cant go wrong with either. It really depends on what YOU really want. Do some research and decide for yourself. I did and i came up with a good deal from a fellow member. Check sig for my choice.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think each kit is just as good as the other, you'll find a few people will lean more towards the STS and you'll see some lean more towards the ATI. It's all preference because they both work well.
You can debate Pro's and Con's with each system if you needed to but alot of facts, pro's and con's can be found in the stickies which compare S/C and Turbo's so it's all about preference. You can't go wrong with ATI just as you can't go wrong with STS.

As far as STS oil system, it's meant to be a bolt-on kit so they designed a system that although not ideal works fine. Welding a bung anywhere would take away from the bolt on aspect of it. I run an STS and see more tha 6xxrwhp on mild boost and have no complaints about it at all and have had no problems concerning the system. There are parts of the system that can be upgraded to make it better but that's true about any system really. One thing I do attribute to the STS being better at compared to other systems is it's cooling effect, simplicity of design, and audible enjoyment.

If you go with ATI you'll be happy I'm sure. Just figure out before hand what it is your looking to get as some systems are cheaper to upgrade than others.

Oh and as far as preference is concerned...IMO the belt whine from a Procharger does want to make me shoot myself too! Sounds like bearings gone bad. But then again I know some people don't like the spool of a turbo so it's all what you like really.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

After doing much research, and not being happy with the front mount turbo offerings on the market at the time I went with EPP and a D1SC. EPP has been THE best company I have EVER dealt with as far as aftermarket parts and technical assistance goes.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
Belive it or not, im not trying to bash the STS kit. We have done multiple installs of either kit and this is the consistant result. The results from others show the same. I cannot remember how manny times i have been asked for the silicone peice that goes to the TB from the up pipe in the sts kit, being a 1ply silicone they do not last, hell they even suck shut before boost hits.

Bashing is one thing, a flawed kit is another. I can sell a product just beacouse i like it, or i can be a honest guy and get you what you really want, something that wont nickle and dime you to death.

Im a fan of turbos as well, we do full turbo installs and custom kits, not just he ATI stuff. We put together a package for the average joe to buy and install him self, have little or no worries, it includes everything you need, sans a dyno run.
The rear mount kits run great, look at MajorSpray and his new TT setup, one of the few vettes that can wheelie like that.

In the end, its defiantly about the customer, i will not sell or push a product if i would not install it on my own car, plain and simple.
Just what this guy is saying should make anybody wanna do business here if someone else works on my baby its going to be someone like this guy. Its just a damn shame they are all the way up in Indiana. Move to Texas EPP
Old 12-27-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by phantomLT1
Just what this guy is saying should make anybody wanna do business here if someone else works on my baby its going to be someone like this guy. Its just a damn shame they are all the way up in Indiana. Move to Texas EPP
With ya here on both accounts!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:34 AM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by phantomLT1
Move to Texas EPP
x2...
Old 12-28-2007, 03:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If anything customer service is key. Both kits are capable of good power. Both kits are relatively easy to install. But EPP's customer service is off the charts. Never had a problem getting through on the phone. Bob works holidays too. Never had a single problem or complaint. And I think Bob can testify I do a LOT of business with him!!! I have gone through about 5 or 6 vendors and just couldnt get the service I have come to get used to from EPP. On another note the procharger is a much more simpler install and less parts to worry about than an STS kit by far. My only problem with the Procharger is I cant seem to plant my tires on the street.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:42 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dixonk
If anything customer service is key. Both kits are capable of good power. Both kits are relatively easy to install. But EPP's customer service is off the charts. Never had a problem getting through on the phone. Bob works holidays too. Never had a single problem or complaint. And I think Bob can testify I do a LOT of business with him!!! I have gone through about 5 or 6 vendors and just couldnt get the service I have come to get used to from EPP. On another note the procharger is a much more simpler install and less parts to worry about than an STS kit by far. My only problem with the Procharger is I cant seem to plant my tires on the street.
Thanks Kevin, and luckily my wife puts up with the holiday thing... lol

Hopefully the new M/T 18's will help you out. Bob
Old 12-28-2007, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

yea i like that problem!
Old 12-28-2007, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

You can see from my sig the route I went. Both have their pros and cons. I've worked on both in the past month. For the ATI, EPP is a great source for service and info. My friend Ricky dealt with them on his 2000 Camaro and they were helpful w/ all questions (to include tuning), etc. For the STS TRT in Texas is very knowledgeable and has nice package prices.

So.....which to get. Depends what you want. Here's what I noticed after seeing/working on/driving both.

ATI Pros:

1. Nice compact design. Self oiling.
2. Great lower/mid-range HP gains.
3. Easy install overall
4. Tuning was no harder/easier than the turbo.
5. Much better ground clearance than the STS.

ATI Cons:

1. Damn belt has to be stupid tight and still slips a bit. Keying the crank is the option, but that's a pain.
2. Don't have info on the newer ones, but the older intercoolers suck (saw IAT's hit as high as 190 ) For serious power a FMIC is a must, so tack that on the price.
3. If the car's an auto, need to remove the trans cooler lines to the radiator to replace the belt.
4. The ATI uses a single electric fan. This is inadequate for southern areas. Need to add a fan for hot weather.

STS Pros:

1. Gets better fuel mileage when driving about town than the Procharger (doubt that's most peoples concern, but we noticed it either way)
2. Makes great upper RPM power
3. Scares the crap out of the "import crowd".
4. W/ a boost controller can flip a dial for more boost. No pully changes needed

STS Cons:

1. Harder to install.
2. A FMIC is a MUST. STS was smoking crack when they said it wasnt needed. Stock my IAT's were 140 degrees. So, add the FMIC to the cost.
3. Oil pump wiring is a pain and I ended soldering most of it.
4. Need to wrap the exhaust to get decent lower RPM boost.
5. Ended modding quite a good part of the kit from stock to fix inherent "defects". (Pipes for improved clearance, relays, etc).

Cost after all.....injectors, pump, upgraded valve springs, FMIC, tuning, etc is pretty comparablebetween the two systems. Unless you upgrade to the D1SC, power output is fairly even too.....just the SC is making power lower in the RPM range, which is a benefit for street driving.

Well, you'll hear both opinions....mostly that ATI is the next best thing to hardcore sex. Hope this as fairly objective and helps ya' out
Old 12-28-2007, 06:19 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Schantin

Well, you'll hear both opinions....mostly that ATI is the next best thing to hardcore sex. Hope this as fairly objective and helps ya' out
I agree! lol

This kit offers all our front mount intercooler kit. Bob
Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Can you keep AC and stock radiator with the F1 upgrade? How much RWHP can the D1SC suport?
Old 01-05-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am running AC with mine. I probably wouldnt recommend running the stock radiator. Though with the right fan setup you might be able to pull it off depending on where you live.