Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

experienced turbo guru's help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default experienced turbo guru's help needed

this one is for the girlfriend. mkiv supra with a single t72 (turbonetics) ball bearing turbo.

(yes i have a hot girlfriend with a mkiv supra, get over it)

anyway i was trying to leak test the intake system for boost leaks and i cannot get it to hold ANY pressure at all. all of the air rushes straight out of the center section of the turbo right around the oil return line. the car does not leak oil out of it and has minimal smoke (i think the only smoke it has is from being rich sometimes).

im leak testing it with a tester that goes onto the inlet of the turbo, simply with a schrader valve to connect an air line to.

my friend who was running a 50 trim on his dsm said his turbo does the same thing but the leakage for his is minimal and it is normal for it to leak into the center section a tad because there is not normally pressure before the outlet elbow on the compressor housing, and pressurizing the compressor housing causes it to leak.

so basically what i want to know is that does it sound like the turbo needs a new piston-ring seal or some other type of seal, or is this a normal thing with a ball-bearing bigger turbo.

any experienced help appreciated. im gonna have her call turbonetics tomorrow to see what they say but i have a feeling they are gonna say "send it in, we'll take a look at it" because they want to make $ so they'll just rebuild it even if it doesnt need to be and maybe even tack $ onto the bill just because they can..

this turbo is about 3 years old, probably never boosted past 25psi (she runs it at 14psi right now) and always timed down after driving. it has no shaft play at all and feels brand new spinning the compressor wheel
thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

anybody on here know anything about turbos themselves, or do most people (me included) only how to bolt them on?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

yeah we could help but you made the girlfriend comment so now we need pics, LOL !!!

On a large turbo it may hard for it to hold air. It does seem thought that something could be wrong. I would think you could get it to hold some air though. I know its not much help, sorry.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe look up forced inductions, or send dr turbo a pm, and see if he can rebuild or give u some info. There a sponser, and deal with alot of turbnetics turbos.

I know a decent amount about turbos, but have no idea about your problem.

Good luck.

Chris
Old 01-07-2008, 09:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the clearence is off between the backing plate and comp cover. Where exactly is it leaking??? Careful not to run the turbo to hard in this condition as it will over spin the unit.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the Clarence is off between the compressor cover and the pics of the girl!!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh and DrTurbo you better not be trying to catch up to my post count!!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

havn't had time to call turbonetics... anyway=

it actually leaks out of the center section, seems like it right out of the corner of the oil return fitting on the buttom of the center section. the car does not leak oil or spray oil out under boost so it is confusing me since the leak is in a spot that oil would come out of if it leaked pressure when the car was running under boost.

i sprayed it with soapy water and the compressor housing (the part that you can "clock" that has the 6 or 8 bolts and is easily taken off- not sure on the exact terminology but you get the point) the compressor housing does not leak this leak is a GUSH of air like i said right out of the oil return in the center section.

is it possible that there is not that much pressure on that part of the turbo while the car is running/under boost and the pressure is more generated from the outlet on through the rest of the intake system, so this doesn't leak under boosted conditions?

still does not seem right to me, which is why im asking. the next step is me ripping the turbo off and sending it to somebody so they can fix it or just tell me there is nothing wrong with it and back to square one.

i can hardly get her to let me take a cell phone pic of her so no pics as of now and we've been together over a year (she just hates pictures). sorry fellas. i'd like to get her ******* car to make the power it should though so any help appreciated.

dr. turbo where are you located? and have you heard of the clearance being off on any other turbonetics turbo's? didn't think they would let something like that leave the factory but i don't know that for sure and nothing surprises me anymore.

Last edited by sleeperstyle; 01-08-2008 at 10:46 PM.