Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who wants to see a LS6 versus VicJr comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am guessing you will need a good 1 1/2 inch 2 to be safe.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't that Aarons elbow, but just polished?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:45 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
Isn't that Aarons elbow, but just polished?
Yeah I think so also, but this is what I was talking about I have done the same setup on a friends C5 and he just had a @" cowl hood and like I said earlier I used the same piping. Looks good Dixonk.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

Jake @ EPP suggested milling the Vic Jr flange down so I don't have to notch the cowl on my TA. I got 1/4" taken off, probably not enough for your Vette, but it's a thought.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya a 1/4" wouldnt even be close.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:57 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Jake @ EPP suggested milling the Vic Jr flange down so I don't have to notch the cowl on my TA. I got 1/4" taken off, probably not enough for your Vette, but it's a thought.
Yeah I posted that a long time ago when I was talking to Leo who used to have the turbo shop in Ohio can't remeber there name, but did mine and it still didn't clear 100% but Very close. I had about 3/8's taken off or atleast to the very top of the runners I could have taken some off of the 90, but didn't bother as I am putting an LS6 on very soon etc...
Old 01-13-2008, 06:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I have seen some very low intake elbows in some pictures.....but IMO they look terribly restrictive. They may fit, but I'd never consider one.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:31 AM
8 Second Club

I'm going to forward the pics of the elbow off of Tiago's car to Aaron. So I'll 2 elbows to compare and can shed light on the difference if there is any. If I have to buy a hood-no worries-after seeing dixonk's car who wouldn't want a hood!

Inspector12,

Why are putting the LS6 back on?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by eb02z06
Everybody PM Sled28 and tell him to get that dyno in the ground!

I pm'd intakelbows for some options on elbows for C5's. I would also like to try that elbow from NitroDave-it clears stock hoods and if it works bonus. Anybody got one of those kicking around they don't need yet?
Edelbrock also came out with some cast elbows-one of them even has a divider to help split the airflow from the front runners to back runners.
I'm not sure how to post them but it's in there 08 new products brochure.
I got that set-up from Andrew on the other site. Yes, seems that the Dave elbow (below) will clear the C5 hood. I'll be finding out soon enough. Interested in how this intake performs, seems it will be better in the upper RPMs and lose a little down low. I am having mine plumbed for Direct Port Dry (shh Mark, lol) at HSW, so for me losing some down low really won't matter either. I like the better distribution and the stronger aluminum, as I blew a hole in my stock LS6. Anyway, looking forward to your testing and results. Good luck

Robert
Old 01-13-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls1290
It is my understanding that the intakeelbows one will clear a C5 crowl and hood just fine. The NitroDave ones is mainly designed for the fbody in the engine sits further back under its crowl.

Keith
Here's the one from IntakeElbows, and it doesn't look as though it would fit under a stock c5 hood?

and here is the Dave elbow installed on a C5 (Andrews)

Robert
Old 01-13-2008, 12:15 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
I got that set-up from Andrew on the other site. Yes, seems that the Dave elbow (below) will clear the C5 hood. I'll be finding out soon enough. Interested in how this intake performs, seems it will be better in the upper RPMs and lose a little down low. I am having mine plumbed for Direct Port Dry (shh Mark, lol) at HSW, so for me losing some down low really won't matter either. I like the better distribution and the stronger aluminum, as I blew a hole in my stock LS6. Anyway, looking forward to your testing and results. Good luck

Robert

I knew that wouldn't last long Robert! Form what I remember when they tested that on a 347 at the track the car did go a bit faster. I know everyone thinks it looks restrictive but at 20 psi with the TB wide open-we'll see!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:26 PM
9 Second Club

I guess when you compare a 78mm TB area to that of the above elbow....The elbow probably still has more.

As for flow to the various cylinders.....who knows.

When I fitted the carb intake to my car with 85mm TB, first things I noticed, where the car actually feels better at the low rpm's. It also idled better.
Top end...so hard to tell SOTP, and I was never near a dyno. But SOTP and logs tell me, that there is no real change in power. Boost showed a very small, but measurable increase in boost.

As to whether my weak valvesprings played a part in any of this, Ive no idea. But it will defo be an interesting experiment, and I cant wait for the results.
Im hoping to get to a dyno on Friday myself.....
Old 01-13-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I knew that wouldn't last long Robert! Form what I remember when they tested that on a 347 at the track the car did go a bit faster. I know everyone thinks it looks restrictive but at 20 psi with the TB wide open-we'll see!
Yea, same here, restrictive hmmm, well with 300hp worth of nitrous coming through I doubt that we will ever know any difference. 20psi, man going for broke, lol. What overall hp level are you suspecting?
Robert
Old 01-13-2008, 12:58 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I guess when you compare a 78mm TB area to that of the above elbow....The elbow probably still has more.

As for flow to the various cylinders.....who knows.

When I fitted the carb intake to my car with 85mm TB, first things I noticed, where the car actually feels better at the low rpm's. It also idled better.
Top end...so hard to tell SOTP, and I was never near a dyno. But SOTP and logs tell me, that there is no real change in power. Boost showed a very small, but measurable increase in boost.

As to whether my weak valvesprings played a part in any of this, Ive no idea. But it will defo be an interesting experiment, and I cant wait for the results.
Im hoping to get to a dyno on Friday myself.....
Bro-I'm also going to experiment with different seat pressure of the springs and differnt lobe designs that are far from the XE and XER designs. They'll probably be under .600 lift as well. Lastly I have some trick pushrods coming as well-the whole idea is to pull to up 7500 or beyond cleanly. For us blower guys that means we can run a larger pulley without slip!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:59 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Yea, same here, restrictive hmmm, well with 300hp worth of nitrous coming through I doubt that we will ever know any difference. 20psi, man going for broke, lol. What overall hp level are you suspecting?
Robert
Robert I'm hoping for 900 rwhp through the auto-that should be enough to run 8's.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:01 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I'm going to forward the pics of the elbow off of Tiago's car to Aaron. So I'll 2 elbows to compare and can shed light on the difference if there is any. If I have to buy a hood-no worries-after seeing dixonk's car who wouldn't want a hood!

Inspector12,

Why are putting the LS6 back on?
Cause I don't think the Vic jr is a real improvement with the exception of being able to handle more boost, which is why I have found most of the race cars did it etc... An LS6 will handle 25lbs of boost and I am only going to put around 18-20. So it is a cleaner look to me and allows me to put a STB back on the car. So I guess it is for apperance reasons, and to put the STB back on that is if it doesn't lose any power that is the reason for my test to know for sure etc...
Old 01-13-2008, 01:04 PM
9 Second Club

I think both MM and Kevin's results are proof of what the LS6 intake can do.

One of the Aussie drag cars at low 8's near 170mph also uses a stock LS6 intake and TB....

The stock one just looks crap lol.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Robert I'm hoping for 900 rwhp through the auto-that should be enough to run 8's.
Damn, is all I can say. I'll be going for 700/800 area, but no where near the 8's. Maybe with the face plating mod on the 6-speed, mid to low 9's, and that's being hopeful, as you know how hard it is with the manual once you get out of the 10's? Good luck on the 8's, that will be quite an accomplishment. That power, if you can hook at all, I see no reason not to get to your goal.

Robert
Old 01-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Banned

so is there an elbow that will fit under the f0body hood with out cutting?

Quick Reply: Who wants to see a LS6 versus VicJr comparison?