Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren P
hey
thanks that helps alot

when will yours go on the dyno?

LOL Soon! I allready have a camera setup to watch the inlets to the turbo's. If they colapse I will have video of these doing it.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:35 PM
9 Second Club

Darren P what size of motor do you have?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Darren P what size of motor do you have?
403 with AFR 225 heads and a 234/234-.598/.596 116 + 4 LSA
4L80E tranny

sounds about right huh
Old 01-09-2008, 11:43 PM
9 Second Club

403 with AFR 225 heads and a 234/234-.598/.596 116 + 4 LSA
4L80E tranny

sounds about right huh
Not good. Same combo
Old 01-09-2008, 11:44 PM
10 Second Club

Not good. Same combo
yup
Old 01-09-2008, 11:47 PM
9 Second Club

yup
Well I might just drive mine around for a little bit bro. And wait untill I get some feedback from them. Because if this system die's Im done and selling the car and buying a Z06 with a stroker.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:56 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would make sure you take all the piping apart from the turbo to the intercooler and check the intercooler out also. I am sure you already thought of that just a little reminder though good luck sorry to hear that you had some bad luck. I am with JM the turbo and associated parts it damaged on the kit should be covered IMO.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
I would make sure you take all the piping apart from the turbo to the intercooler and check the intercooler out also. I am sure you already thought of that just a little reminder though good luck sorry to hear that you had some bad luck. I am with JM the turbo and associated parts it damaged on the kit should be covered IMO.
you got that right
I only got 3/4 of the wheel
I hope it did not make it all the way to the intercooler
Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 AM
9 Second Club

The reason I am so concerned is I was assured it would be OK for our size of engines.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

LOL This is the typical bullshit answer I would expect to hear. But that is a defect! PERIOD! Now I can understand if he starved it for oil but that is BS and it should be replaced. They sold a crap load of these kit's on tech. I know if mine did this I would want a replacement PERIOD!
Whoa Whoa Whoa Jim!

Precision stands behind their ****. Turbonetics Does too. I hear Forced Inductions is pretty good as well.

If the company I use had an issue like this on an in house install it would be replaced no questions asked, but on an "out of house" install they would need the turbo back for inspection at the very least. APS being in Australia, there is a timeframe issue.

I wasn't feeding BS, its just hard to stand behind someone elses work if it was infact something other than a defect. I dont know but I would assume you havent seen the turbo or participated on the install so how do you know any better or anymore than me?

Just curious.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:37 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by cracker
inspection at the very least. APS being in Australia, there is a timeframe issue.

I wasn't feeding BS, its just hard to stand behind someone elses work if it was infact something other than a defect. I dont know but I would assume you havent seen the turbo or participated on the install so how do you know any better or anymore than me?

Just curious.

Lets just say I have some inside info since our setups are the same. Maybe you should read what happened to two other kits allready with 402 strokers. I bought this kit KNOWING I was going to run into backpressure issues. But he was only at 11 psi. And for someone to pm me the same info is strange to me. If the install was wrong it would have crapped out right away! Not 173 miles down the road. I mean we are using the filtered side of the oil filter. Not the return.

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 01-10-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Restricted User

Bro...that sucks...I've never heard of a 20g blowing apart like that....I'd say get either a different turbo from garrett or turbonetics. Maybe get two bigger ones. How much boost were you running? Check your oil lines, you might have a clog and the turbo might have heated up.....
Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cracker
Doesnt seem like anything APS did. Even if a turbo was out of balance, I would be surprised if they can do anything. Unfortunately, with most performance companies cannot offer warranties just because they dont have any control over the end users installation, driving manners, tuning, fuel, etc etc. Just too many issues out of the producers hands.

I dont see a warranty issue here. I mean, I wish you the best with the issue and I'm not trying to be negative....

Depending on what they say, I would send to to precision and see what they can do. Maybe they can source some different wheels specific to your application to squeeze some HP out of them as well.
Dude, it sounds like your the one who manufactured this turbo.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:02 AM
10 Second Club

The reason I am so concerned is I was assured it would be OK for our size of engines.
Ha

Me to

I must of asked the size question a hundred ways and was told every time that it was fine. And when insisted that they were somewhat on the small side I was told that I did not know what they were talking about
I was actually planning on building my own Twin kit with T67s but after talking to Peter and seeing the results from the Firehawk that EPP did and bringing the size question up a few times I thought that this would give me the results that I wanted and save me some money/time over building a custom kit. And if not at least it should be easy enough to sell pretty quick and recover most of the money out of it that had been spent to start with.

I already had a turbo kit on the car when I started, I was one of the first people to have the PTS as well kit, but it did not do good in heavy traffic.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:22 AM
9 Second Club

Ha

Me to

I must of asked the size question a hundred ways and was told every time that it was fine. And when insisted that they were somewhat on the small side I was told that I did not know what they were talking about
I was actually planning on building my own Twin kit with T67s but after talking to Peter and seeing the results from the Firehawk that EPP did and bringing the size question up a few times I thought that this would give me the results that I wanted and save me some money/time over building a custom kit. And if not at least it should be easy enough to sell pretty quick and recover most of the money out of it that had been spent to start with.

I already had a turbo kit on the car when I started, I was one of the first people to have the PTS as well kit, but it did not do good in heavy traffic.
And like I have said before this thread is not to bash APS or EPP. I do not want to risk / damage parts of my engine or turbo kit. I have way too much invested. If I have to build inlet ducts so be it. But I am seeking feeback on the situation that happened. Because after reading what Bob and farrellt (Owner of the firehawk aps tt ) nothing like this was posted. I know some things like this happen and the shop owners try to keep these kind of things under control.(I am a part owner of a performance shop) But when it involves alot of members on this board running the same combo I feel the information should be made available to the end user. Either as a warning of what to do or revisions the company is making. Bob should be up soon as always answering everyones threads so Ill wait for his feedback. And I cannot stress this enuff! I am not bashing anyone here. I am just concerned about my setup.

JMG

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 01-10-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

JM, if you decide to go ahead and make the inlet pipes to resolve the issue, make sure you keep records, maybe a jig so to speak, because if no one else has a solution soon i'm sure you could sell a few to others in our situation... i'm installing the kit right now as well and now is a better time than ever to fix the issue vs having it all on the car and finding the problem. LMK, i dont have any fab skills.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 01-10-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm......well my kit is not installed. Got it too late in season and decided not to install it on my near stock engine. Be a few more months on mine. Still planning 408. Don't believe there will be any problem at all with two 20gs. They each flow 50 pounds or so per minute and that should be enough for a 402 or 408. Guys run one 65 pound turbo on our cars frequently at 346 cubes.
I am a diehard dsm guy. I have had lots of dsms both with mits turbos ,13g,14b and have had several garrett turbos as well. If you want to talk crap talk turbonetics..seen many turbonetic failures. I would not touch a turbonetic turbo for anything!
Now the mits turbos including the 20gs are very very reliable usually. Seen them go over 100,000 miles and more. Now know that APS tweaks the 20gs in our kits a bit. It looks like a straight failure.A dud,defective turbo .I would think APS would just replace it. Even if the turbos were a bit small for the engine they are not going to just blow apart. And mits 20gs have gone way past 18psi in dsm applications..well into the 20 plus psi range.
Of course it sucks when a part fails and you have to do more work fixing things. But such is life.
I would expect APS to warranty the turbo. Be following this thread closely. Also it would be a good idea to double check existing turbos to be sure bolts are tight on the housings.Also check the turbo for shaft play and make sure the main shaft nut is tight.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the failure. I'm thinking they will just replace the turbo. If nothing else, there should be atleast a warranty on the turbos.

On another note, anyone have any results with the aps kits such as track times and dyno numbers? And what kind of numbers are you guys expecting with your 403's?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Just cause they flow 50lbs/min on a lawnmower doesn't mean they will not cause a ton of back pressure on a motor with over 300 cubes.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

From the numbers already seen from APS they seem to work just fine on 300 plus cubic inch engines. Their forged test mule has spit out some good numbers. The one test did have different wheels from the first dyno though.

And we have seen some decent numbers out of the EPP 402 car at pretty low boost. I am pretty confident that can hit 800rwhp on dynojet and possibly 850rwhp with the standard APS 20gs on my planned 408. Not overly worried if only hit 800rwhp as putting direct port on also with goal of 1000rwhp max on spray. With similar combo to APS forged 346 test mule. AFR 225s,gt7 or gt11 ling cam likely 8.5 to 9.0 range for compression,fully forged 408. Figure it will take 15 to 18psi to hit 850rwhp no spray.And assuming clutch holds.

Also we are talking about one 20 g per bank.Seen some gtos putting out great numbers with same turbos also.The gto guys have been running these kits longer than the f body guys since they got it sooner.

Quick Reply: Turbo on APS kit came apart today