Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo on APS kit came apart today

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pictures confuse me a bit...if the compressor failed that badly shouldn't there be oil all over everything? I would have expected that the cartridge would have some significant leaking if it was damaged that badly.

I remember the Incon kits had a check valve that was was in place before the t-fitting that supplied the oil to each turbo. I had a friend that installed this backwards and had a similar failure after about the same amount of driving, although not as violent. I was suprised that the turbos lasted as long as they did when they got literally no oil...not saying that this is the case, but it might be something to check out.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

well I have started the long process of taking the F@#*&*@ thing back off

what a pain in the ***
Old 01-12-2008, 12:04 AM
10 Second Club

Sorry about your turbo since That **** aint cheap.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phate
The pictures confuse me a bit...if the compressor failed that badly shouldn't there be oil all over everything? I would have expected that the cartridge would have some significant leaking if it was damaged that badly.

I remember the Incon kits had a check valve that was was in place before the t-fitting that supplied the oil to each turbo. I had a friend that installed this backwards and had a similar failure after about the same amount of driving, although not as violent. I was suprised that the turbos lasted as long as they did when they got literally no oil...not saying that this is the case, but it might be something to check out.
No oil check valve in this kit, but it does bring up a good point. I'm no expert on the inner workings of turbos, but it is surprising that there is no oil in the pictures.
Have you checked the oil lines to make sure there is oil in them? Not sure how it could have happened, but it's an easy check.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Thats a good point. More often than not with a turbo failure...there is oil everywhere.

Not sure how long a turbo would last without oil though....But depending on driving, it could last a couple of hundred miles.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
No oil check valve in this kit, but it does bring up a good point. I'm no expert on the inner workings of turbos, but it is surprising that there is no oil in the pictures.
Have you checked the oil lines to make sure there is oil in them? Not sure how it could have happened, but it's an easy check.
the Inner parts did not break

it just broke the compresser wheel off
the odd thing is that where the snap ring was on the cartridge it cracked the peice where it was holding against. And the snap ring is also bent like someone just pulled the compresser housing off without taking the snap ring off
it is hard to tell what failed. whether it was the compresser wheel coming apart and hitting the compresser housing or the housing falling on the compresser wheel

I wonder if it happened like this. The intake hose collapsed, this caused the turbo to start sucking oil past the oil seal and the turbo shaft came in contact with the bushing causing it to wobble and hit the compresser housing, this knocked it out of balance and it vibrated enough to weaken the center shaft and then the next time it made boost when it sucked the oil past the shaft and the compresser wheel came in contact with the housing the second time it broke the shaft and the compresser wheel was spinning at very high RPM bouncing around inside the housing and beat it off of the snap ring causing it to seperate
Old 01-12-2008, 12:19 PM

ummm. ouch.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn Darren, sorry to hear about this bud.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Hey Darren was the turbo that blew apart the one you had to unloosen to put the fitting in on the center section? Because if it wasn't it might of been loose from the factory. I'm installing my kit now and i had a problem with the turbo on the passenger side. I was installing them with a friend of mine and he noticed that the center section still had the plastic caps after i had bolted on the oil and coolant line instead of the threaded plugs like the driver side. Now i didn't see that and if my buddy didn't i would of ran the car, the plastic plugs would of melted, and it would of been a mess and i'm sure the turbo would of been damaged who knows. I then contacted Peter in PM and told him what happened and he said give me your address and will send them out. Three months later no plugs and about 4 more PM's to Peter no answer. So i had to venture out on my own and find some.I told Peter it was probably just an oversight from the company no big deal, i just wish he would of gotten back with me to back me up. Anyways good luck dude and trying to contact him but i was very upset that he didn't get back to me after all the money we all spent on these kits on this forum. I know my situation is not as bad as yours but its the principle of the matter of backing up your costumers.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

The turbine won't knock the housing off, on worn out turbos there can be considerable wear in the housing where the wheel has ground into it. I think that the housing clip was not fully seated or something similar and the housing just popped off the cartridge under boost and twisted or knocked the wheel off when it went. It's a defective turbo, from improper assembly of the turbo or a casting weakness that got overlooked.

I asked in another post and got nothing, what's the price range on these kits if someone would be so kind?

Vernon
Old 01-12-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

I'm with the rest of these guys, I had a 20G on my Syclone that regularly saw 24psi. That was on a 4.3 V6 so I wouldn't think that it had anything to do with the displacement of the engine. Got to be a defect.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
I asked in another post and got nothing, what's the price range on these kits if someone would be so kind?
Vernon
they were $5500 shipped, but that was supposed to be a special.

Last edited by calongo_SS; 01-12-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nastysupaspt
Hey Darren was the turbo that blew apart the one you had to unloosen to put the fitting in on the center section? Because if it wasn't it might of been loose from the factory. I'm installing my kit now and i had a problem with the turbo on the passenger side. I was installing them with a friend of mine and he noticed that the center section still had the plastic caps after i had bolted on the oil and coolant line instead of the threaded plugs like the driver side. Now i didn't see that and if my buddy didn't i would of ran the car, the plastic plugs would of melted, and it would of been a mess and i'm sure the turbo would of been damaged who knows. I then contacted Peter in PM and told him what happened and he said give me your address and will send them out. Three months later no plugs and about 4 more PM's to Peter no answer. So i had to venture out on my own and find some.I told Peter it was probably just an oversight from the company no big deal, i just wish he would of gotten back with me to back me up. Anyways good luck dude and trying to contact him but i was very upset that he didn't get back to me after all the money we all spent on these kits on this forum. I know my situation is not as bad as yours but its the principle of the matter of backing up your costumers.

I had all the plugs for mine and I did not have to take it apart to install them
I did take the exhaust housing off and have it coated but it did not come apart there
the compresser side has a internal snap ring and it is either on or off
I do not see how it could be half on
I did check it on both sides and it was tight
Old 01-12-2008, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

The turbine won't knock the housing off, on worn out turbos there can be considerable wear in the housing where the wheel has ground into it. I think that the housing clip was not fully seated or something similar and the housing just popped off the cartridge under boost and twisted or knocked the wheel off when it went. It's a defective turbo, from improper assembly of the turbo or a casting weakness that got overlooked.

Vernon
what if the input shaft breaks first and the impeller is loose inside the housing spinning at 60,000 rpm. I think that would break it but I do not know
when I get it off you will be able to see from the photos that the snap ring was on all the way becuse it cracked the support on the center when the compresser housing broke off and left a imprint of the snap ring
Old 01-12-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious how you can take off the turbo ,do you have to drop the k member to get it off? This turbo should be warranty for sure. If warranty is only 90 days from purchase then I am screwed if anything goes wrong as not putting the turbos on till spring. Would be nice if they had a least a year warranty on the turbos. Still the 20gs are usually very very reliable.I can't see it being that intake closing thing. If it was that then why didn't they both die?

Engine and turbo sizing don't mean much ,factory turbos are often undersized for the best power for various reasons, faster spool being one of them. And having intake close up is also common on stock intakes at higher boost with normally very little bad effects except for loss of power.

Wonder if oil line is blocked?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Darren P
what if the input shaft breaks first and the impeller is loose inside the housing spinning at 60,000 rpm. I think that would break it but I do not know
when I get it off you will be able to see from the photos that the snap ring was on all the way becuse it cracked the support on the center when the compresser housing broke off and left a imprint of the snap ring
Well the turbine is not very heavy, but if it did that I would think it would have twisted the housing off. Does it look like it was twisted off or pushed apart?

Vernon
Old 01-12-2008, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Curious how you can take off the turbo ,do you have to drop the k member to get it off? This turbo should be warranty for sure. If warranty is only 90 days from purchase then I am screwed if anything goes wrong as not putting the turbos on till spring. Would be nice if they had a least a year warranty on the turbos. Still the 20gs are usually very very reliable.I can't see it being that intake closing thing. If it was that then why didn't they both die?

Engine and turbo sizing don't mean much ,factory turbos are often undersized for the best power for various reasons, faster spool being one of them. And having intake close up is also common on stock intakes at higher boost with normally very little bad effects except for loss of power.

Wonder if oil line is blocked?
I don't see how to get it off with out droping the K member and that is what I am in the process of doing right now
Old 01-12-2008, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Well the turbine is not very heavy, but if it did that I would think it would have twisted the housing off. Does it look like it was twisted off or pushed apart?

Vernon
it is very light but it was spinning so fast that 2 peices shot out through the charge pipe and made holes in it

I will know better when I tget the turbo off if it was pulled or twisted off
Old 01-12-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
they were $5500 shipped, but that was supposed to be a special.
Thank you.
Vernon
Old 01-12-2008, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Vernon
$5995 + shipping

Quick Reply: Turbo on APS kit came apart today