Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo on APS kit came apart today

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Man that sucks

Snap rings hold those turbos together???
Yes....on tens of thousands of them. Ive never seen anything like what has happened here.

The forces required to damage the cover, and bend that snap ring must have been huge. Very very very strange.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Yes....on tens of thousands of them. Ive never seen anything like what has happened here.

The forces required to damage the cover, and bend that snap ring must have been huge. Very very very strange.
im curious as to what your thoughts are. Pm me if you dont want to post it here.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

dude please chill out
I do not want my thread locked
Thanks

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
bla bla bla bla.

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
1insanegto, you've made your points, now chill out. I won't lock the thread unless you keep carrying on.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rick@HSW
im curious as to what your thoughts are. Pm me if you dont want to post it here.
me to
Old 01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

IMO the cover looks like mechanical damage that has been caused by someone.. Either when the turbo was built...or when the kit was being fitted to the car, and I am only speculating...but Id be inclined to think the latter.

As for the compressor wheel.....thats a lot of damage. Havent a clue on that one.

But I do know the Mitsi TD range of turbos are almost bulletproof. Ive never seen such damage to one, and I work around Subarus a lot, and these are very very popular with them, and of course the TD05 and TD05 are original equipment on a lot of them, as well as Mitsubishi Evos. ive seen and used them myself with the boost screwed far to high, and no doubt overspeeding them like mad ( nevermind hot air !! ) and never a problem.
This is why I tend to think it isnt a turbo fault, more it has been caused.

Of course I can only base assumptions on what I read here, and see in the pics...so I could be miles off.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by slick1851
Rember that guy from ICON that ripped off and screwed all the fbody people out of money and left the country????

GEUSS WHAT?! HE WORKS FOR THESE GUYS NOW!

APS got alot of qeustions about that when the kit 1st came out, and never direactly said anything about the issue..Would you hire such a shady person?
Yes...we all know this and peter has addressed that before. I do belive and hope that Peter will fix what ever happened. I doubt he will leave you all stranded. People just need to stop looking for reason and wait until he is back from vacation. This is what makes people go crazy around here.

Wait until he responds!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tt427ls1
Yes...we all know this and peter has addressed that before. I do belive and hope that Peter will fix what ever happened. I doubt he will leave you all stranded. People just need to stop looking for reason and wait until he is back from vacation. This is what makes people go crazy around here.

Wait until he responds!!!
So Joel I take it your still on vacation? Atleast I get to claim your **** as a loss on my taxes.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
So Joel I take it your still on vacation? Atleast I get to claim your **** as a loss on my taxes.
lol...let me know how your doing that.

Oh and by the way last week when you called for some headers for your "new" camaro I guess your not that mad to call.

You must be really bored.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
IMO the cover looks like mechanical damage that has been caused by someone.. Either when the turbo was built...or when the kit was being fitted to the car, and I am only speculating...but Id be inclined to think the latter.

As for the compressor wheel.....thats a lot of damage. Havent a clue on that one.

But I do know the Mitsi TD range of turbos are almost bulletproof. Ive never seen such damage to one, and I work around Subarus a lot, and these are very very popular with them, and of course the TD05 and TD05 are original equipment on a lot of them, as well as Mitsubishi Evos. ive seen and used them myself with the boost screwed far to high, and no doubt overspeeding them like mad ( nevermind hot air !! ) and never a problem.
This is why I tend to think it isnt a turbo fault, more it has been caused.

Of course I can only base assumptions on what I read here, and see in the pics...so I could be miles off.

the compresser wheel damage was caused when it came in contact with the compresser housing
and I did not see any damage to the turbo when I got it and I did not damage it when I was installing it
I did my own install and I was very careful with it like I am with everything else that I work on
now I did not take the Compresser housing off so I do not know what it looked like on the inside but I did take the exhaust housing off and have it coated but when I did I put the rest of the turbo back in the box it was shipped in and did not touch it again till I got the exhaust housing back a week later, at which time I re-installed it and started my install on my car

Last edited by Darren P; 01-15-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren P
and I did damage it when I was installing it

Uh, I'd edit that.....
Old 01-15-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
Uh, I'd edit that.....
Old 01-15-2008, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

thanks
Old 01-15-2008, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed
Old 01-15-2008, 10:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks
Its still in his post.....quoting you.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:50 PM
FormerVendor

I was in on the second group of people that ordered the APS twin kit for the F-Body kit, the car has been in my shop for a while getting the twin kit, BMR K member and A arms along with a 6 Speed to 4L80E swap and a Nasty Performance Stage 3 fuel system.
I was out doing some road tuning tonight and everything was looking pretty good, was going to have it on the Dyno by this weekend when I made a WOT blast to about 4500 RPM when I heard a loud pop and the engine shut off
I pulled off the road and checked for damage and could see none. oil looked good. coolant looked good so WTF right? finally got it started back up and drove it home, pulled it into the shop looked it over real close raised it up on my lift and low and behold there are 2 holes that I can stick a finger through in the rubber driver side turbo discharge pipe and the turbine housing came apart from the cartrige on the cold side I guess the snap ring broke or something
I checked it very close when I Installed it and it was fine. it was tight and had no problems

173 miles and
has anyone else had any problems with the 20G turbo coming apart?

this sucks because I have pretty much spent everthing that I had saved up for this swap
freaking car has been setting for about 3 months now

Darren, I just read your post and I'm sad to see the damaged turbocharger. In my experience the turbo damage was caused by the Compressor cover to centre bearing snap ring being disloged from the compresor cover which would cause the comp wheel to jam up on the cocked comp cover. Unfortunately, if you operate the engine in this condition you will cause significant further damage to the turbocharger. The comp cover snap ring can be partially or fully dislodged if the comp cover clocking is altered without first removing the snap ring.

In any event this type of turbo damage is not covered by warranty as the damage is not caused by a defective part imo. That said, as a gesture of good will APS will replace the turbocharger though you will need to cover the freight costs. Please pm me to arrange details.

It's important to state that changing the clocking on the comp cover or center bearing housing without first removing the snap ring could cause the snap ring to be disloged from the comp cover.

This turbo damage will not be covered under warranty in the future so please be very careful if you need to reclock the turbocharger for any reason.

A happy new year to all,

Peter
Old 01-15-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very cool to see APS step up to the plate for you here!
Old 01-15-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya..that sounds reasonable to me.

sry for all your frustrations DarrenP
Old 01-16-2008, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Good luck.....hope this gets resolved!!!!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98darkbird
Good luck.....hope this gets resolved!!!!
wow, did u even read aps response?

did u resolve the issue with that cutout? mr. -1
Old 01-16-2008, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
The turbine won't knock the housing off, on worn out turbos there can be considerable wear in the housing where the wheel has ground into it. I think that the housing clip was not fully seated or something similar and the housing just popped off the cartridge under boost and twisted or knocked the wheel off when it went.

Vernon

Who clocked the turbo? Was it pre-clocked from APS?

Last edited by S P E E D; 01-16-2008 at 01:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo on APS kit came apart today