Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo on APS kit came apart today

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to start a fight, this is more for my own clarification, but don't I remember the instructions telling me to clock the turbo around for install after "loosening" the clamp? Or are we talking about something entirely different? It was on the passenger side, so it doesn't have much bearing on a driver's side turbo coming apart. Someone please tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

And props to APS for replacing the turbo without much fuss.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:29 AM
9 Second Club

Its a BMR k member Why in the hell would he reclock the turbo? He did the same thing I did. Coated the exhaust housing! At least your getting your turbo replaced. But this reclocking business is weird!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by T A WS6 M6
Not to start a fight, this is more for my own clarification, but don't I remember the instructions telling me to clock the turbo around for install after "loosening" the clamp? Or are we talking about something entirely different? It was on the passenger side, so it doesn't have much bearing on a driver's side turbo coming apart. Someone please tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

And props to APS for replacing the turbo without much fuss.
instructions at number 35-36 say to loosen v clamp and rotate passenger side turbo.

Last edited by mterveen; 01-16-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:29 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mterveen
instructions at number 35-36 say to loosen v clamp and rotate passenger side turbo.

it does but the exhaust side has a V band clamp
the compresser side does not have a V band but rather a internal snap ring and the instructions don't say anything about re-clocking the compresser housing nor does it say anything about how to do this if you do need to do this
Old 01-16-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wink

agreed - just clarifying for the T A WS6 M6 (and others) what the instructions said and that it was for rotating the passenger side exhaust housing and v clamp only.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Im curious now..... WIll loosening the clamp to reclock the turbo cause any issues at all? Or what is the clocking issue that could cause this issue going on? Shouldnt you be able to clock turbos with no issues? Im confused and dont want to mess anything up!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 01-16-2008, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Superman09
Im curious now..... WIll loosening the clamp to reclock the turbo cause any issues at all? Or what is the clocking issue that could cause this issue going on? Shouldnt you be able to clock turbos with no issues? Im confused and dont want to mess anything up!

if you loosen the V band clamp, rotate the exhaust housing, and tighten it you will have no problem

on the intake side you would have to release the internal snap ring, re clock, and re-install the snap ring

the problem is if you tried to rotate the compresser housing, (or any other one for that matter) without removing the snap ring, or the V band clamp you risk damaging the housing
Old 01-16-2008, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not changing the subject, but is there any advantage to having the housings coated? and where did you send them if i can ask? also what about coating the manifolds? any benefits there? glad to see your getting a replacement im also installing aps kit so its good to see support. even though i think this is probably a rare mishap ,good luck in the future
Old 01-16-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're getting your turbo replaced, I was actually looking into this kit recently, maybe with slightly bigger turbos.

Very glad to see the guy at APS is willing to give a customer the benefit of the doubt and make a replacement for you. Unlike a few companies I have seen on here that have gave a few people the run around.

First message the guys posts says he'll take care of it. Props to APS for taking care of this guy.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Darren P
if you loosen the V band clamp, rotate the exhaust housing, and tighten it you will have no problem

on the intake side you would have to release the internal snap ring, re clock, and re-install the snap ring

the problem is if you tried to rotate the compresser housing, (or any other one for that matter) without removing the snap ring, or the V band clamp you risk damaging the housing

So if the instructions don't say to Re-Clock the Cold side housing then it is a manufactures defect. APS has done there job well to supply another turbo in this case IMO. But they might want to start checking the turbos they receive from their turbo supplier to see if other Cold side Snap ring clamps are seated properly.

Nice to see a supplier step up and do the right thing. Job well Done APS
Old 01-16-2008, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by euroman
Not changing the subject, but is there any advantage to having the housings coated? and where did you send them if i can ask? also what about coating the manifolds? any benefits there? glad to see your getting a replacement im also installing aps kit so its good to see support. even though i think this is probably a rare mishap ,good luck in the future
the atvantage for me is they will not look like rusty cast iron manifolds and turbo housings it a few days, weeks, or months

it is also claimed they will hold heat better and spool quicker but they already spool so fast it is crazy
Old 01-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

If I were you...When you pull that setup apart I would STRONGLY recommend Cleaning and triple checking the intake track to make damn well sure there's no shards of turbine wheel etc that made it's way further then just the Silicone elbow. if you gotta pull the intake mani...so be it man...be safe. Happen to me before...snapped an input shaft and the cold side wheel ground itself up and through all the chunks into the motor. Was not pretty.

Good luck with the build bro.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mterveen
agreed - just clarifying for the T A WS6 M6 (and others) what the instructions said and that it was for rotating the passenger side exhaust housing and v clamp only.
Thanks, I can be a real TC idiot. I get it now, though. I appreciate the input. I remember doing it, but I just didn't put together that we were talking about different sides of the turbo.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:18 PM
FormerVendor

Hi Darren, Please check your inbox. I need some info from you before I can ship parts to you, the replacement parts are being packed today, all good.

Many thanks,

Peter
Old 01-17-2008, 04:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by S P E E D
If I were you...When you pull that setup apart I would STRONGLY recommend Cleaning and triple checking the intake track to make damn well sure there's no shards of turbine wheel etc that made it's way further then just the Silicone elbow. if you gotta pull the intake mani...so be it man...be safe. Happen to me before...snapped an input shaft and the cold side wheel ground itself up and through all the chunks into the motor. Was not pretty.

Good luck with the build bro.
+1 I had to remove my intercooler because the IAT hole was too small.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

APS seems to pull through on everything! Its nice to know that we can depend on them!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DanDan
APS seems to pull through on everything! Its nice to know that we can depend on them!
This is true to a point.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

is that the case with all turbos when you clock them or just these Mitsu turbos with the snap ring deal?
Old 01-17-2008, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
is that the case with all turbos when you clock them or just these Mitsu turbos with the snap ring deal?
any turbo that you need to re clock you would need to loosen whatever it has holding together before you re-clock it
Old 01-17-2008, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren P
any turbo that you need to re clock you would need to loosen whatever it has holding together before you re-clock it
no kidding lol otherwise u would be able to turn it.i was just curious if all turbos had the snap rings inside or just ones that didnt have external bolts to loosen

Quick Reply: Turbo on APS kit came apart today