Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ITS ALIVE-My new Erik Koenig forged LS6 Blower Motor with ECS D1SC Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITS ALIVE-My new Erik Koenig forged LS6 Blower Motor with ECS D1SC Procharger

Update, I went to Powerhouse Performance (my local tuner) today to put 30 miles on new bad boy (2002 Elec. Blue Z06) for initial break in miles, and so Powerhouse can change the oil and filter, now that 50 miles have been put on the new engine/forged 347 LS6 (per recommendation of my engine builder Erik Koenig of HKE Enterprise/Erik ROCKS!!). My new Erik Koenig built 347 LS6 fired right up and sounds bad azz, and ERIK builds ONE HECK of a motor and his attention to detail when building same is mind boggling! If you plan on having a forged LS motor built for f/i or N/A i highly recommend Erik Koenig of HKE Enterprises (as one of the premier LS builders in the Country).

My local tuners (John and Chris of Powerhouse Performance in Orland Park, IL) does fantastic work and their customer service is unsurpassed. Powerhouse did my entire job involving removal of stock LS6 with ECS D1SC on it, installed new Erik Koengi forged motor, new 8 rib with D1SC kit, and new ECS fuel system (and are doing all the tuning on the car).

I mean I can't think of any shop where the owner has called me everyday the past 5 days (like John of Powerhouse has), to give me a personal udpate on the car himself while he is driving home from work at the end of his long work day. That is simply unheard of (and many shops you can't get the owner/head honcho on the phone period if your life depended on it) , and this type of customer service to me is of extreme importance! Gotta love going with the smaller shops for engine building, installing and tuning, when it comes to quality control, customer service and establishing a good relationship with the owners (or engine builders/tuners themselves).

If I thought the car sounded bad *** before it sounds that much meaner now (and louder of course with its new heads and cam and forged blower motor).

Car is running great right now with no issues (with its intial street tune that Chris at Powerhouse put in) and I will be able to pick it up this weekend as JOHN (tuner, wants to tweak a couple little things the perfectionist that he is , and with any luck I am hoping I can bring it by for a local vette lunch get together this Saturday, (if all goes well) and the weather cooperates like it did this late Thursday morning!

In the very low rpms the car feels stout like when it was stock (and not sluggish with the 9:5 to 1 compression and comp blower cam), and as soon as she hits 3000 to 4000 rpm things start getting pretty crazy, and she makes boost that much easier also with the smaller 4.0 8 rib pulley, (and you can really feel the difference of the heads and cam flowing a lot more air and making power. Not able to take it over 4000 rpm for the first 50 miles but I can get more aggressive when I get the car this weekend after its first oil change. Its going to be a scary fast animal on the street (with KUHMO MX street tires) from 4000 to 6500 rpm (and new drag radials in back will have to become a must)!

I Won't hit the dyno for final dyno tuning until the motor has 500 miles on it as I am playing things somewhat conservative given the long block is brand new. The car is nice and LOUD (without being too obnoxious) and the next 450 breakin miles will be that much funner than the first 50. I plan on making 14 to 15 lbs of boost and she should be over 725+rwhp and 625+rwtq (before its all said and done with).

OH YEAH, my D1 Procharger whistles even louder now than before with the smaller pulley on their (with it spinning faster) and that suits my tastes just fine!

Oh yeah, sorry guys that I don't have any pics or video or anything yet, just comes with the territory of being too old school I guess when it comes to modern technology, etc.

Sorry about the long post but I was so pumped up to drive the car today for the first time since being completed (that I even lost sleep last night like a kid on Christmas Morning)!

Last edited by Chicago Crew UnderBoss; 01-10-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

come pick me up and lets go for a ride!!

awesome to hear bro
Old 01-10-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know how those HKE engs are.. i broke my eng in the same way your going about it. i have had no problems and im looking at bumpin the boost to 12-15 come spring time after i upgrade fuel system.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Thanks Jim, we are glad you are happy. We try to treat our customers the way we would want to be treated.

Here are a couple of pic's, more to come.

NO NON SPONSOR ADVERTISING INFO PLEASE

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. James Dean

Last edited by SilverGhost; 01-11-2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: non sponsor advertising info
Old 01-11-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

wow!!!!
nice set up man.....need some vids now!!!......prob screams!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

I love how everyone rants and raves about "how awesome a shop is" after they haven't even broken in a motor, been to a dyno, or had the car for a few years. I am not saying anything negative about this shop, or this particular member as for all I know the shop is the best. I just think it would be more wise if people praised a shops work after the car had been through a bit more to actually see if they are good or not. What happens if the car shoots a pushrod through the motor while on the dyno at 3,000 RPM? What happens if you make it 5,000 miles and something catastrophic goes wrong, and the shop shrugs their shoulders and says "its a performance motor, no-one can warranty something like this"? Will you still give the praise to them you are now?

Again, not bashing this guy or his shop in particular. To the original poster; you have one badass car and setup. I strongly believe you will attain your power goals you are hoping for. Are you running any intercooler? Or are you just spraying methanol by its self?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

then they post pics and we are glad it isnt us.....then you decide if you dont want to ever buy that particular kit......and have that particular shop install it......
how long has you car been @ 614 rwhp???? and who installed it???
Old 01-11-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot
then they post pics and we are glad it isnt us.....then you decide if you dont want to ever buy that particular kit......and have that particular shop install it......
how long has you car been @ 614 rwhp???? and who installed it???
My car has been @ 614 RWHP for about 2 and a half years now (and about 7,000 miles). I won't mention the shop (although they weren't an F-body specific shop, and they are not a sponser on this board) since I don't want to reccomend anyone to them. The shop I had do my car actually did build what seems to be so far as very reliable strong blower motor. However they raped me on the price, had some of the worst customer service I have ever had experience with, and were extremly behind our expectations of completion date (the last part is pretty normal for a shop though).
Old 01-11-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CALL911
I love how everyone rants and raves about "how awesome a shop is" after they haven't even broken in a motor, been to a dyno, or had the car for a few years. I am not saying anything negative about this shop, or this particular member as for all I know the shop is the best. I just think it would be more wise if people praised a shops work after the car had been through a bit more to actually see if they are good or not. What happens if the car shoots a pushrod through the motor while on the dyno at 3,000 RPM? What happens if you make it 5,000 miles and something catastrophic goes wrong, and the shop shrugs their shoulders and says "its a performance motor, no-one can warranty something like this"? Will you still give the praise to them you are now?

Again, not bashing this guy or his shop in particular. To the original poster; you have one badass car and setup. I strongly believe you will attain your power goals you are hoping for. Are you running any intercooler? Or are you just spraying methanol by its self?

Well you make some good points I'll give you that, and not until the motor has proven itself over the course of the next several years can I validly praise how well the motor was built and held up. The fact that it was built by Erik Koenig of HKE Racing (repuation right up their with Kurt at W2W) gives me all the confidence in the world about the forged motor build.

My local tuner, Powerhouse Performance out of Orland Park IL, has wrenched and worked on 4 difference C5s I have owned over the course of the last 7 years. It has been that experience that and the service they gave me as always on all the sig. work they just did, that allows me to accurately praise their customer service to the high heavens (its incredbile), and they stand behind all their work 100% (from past experience with them) and if something they did ends up not being right, they make it right whatever it takes (for no extra $ of course).

I just hope my new build stays durable and reliable for a long time (and I don't think she will have any problem running 700+rwhp/600+rwtq.

To the other poster i am running East Coast Supechargering compete blower package (D1 head unit) which runs a HUGE single intercooler, (and is propably the most true and tried C5 centri sc system proven on both the track and street). Car will be tuned off the methanol and methanol added for safety (not to make more power, as this will make more power I can ever put down to the ground anyways on a car that is driven 99% of the time on my local streets and highways!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Again, it wasn't directed specifically at you, it just seems lots of guys are highly praising shops when they don't really have anything factual to go off of other than customer service and how the car is for such a short period of time. It just makes more sense to me not to give that kind of reccomendation until you for sure have something to really reccomend that has been proven.

My shop I had do my work seemed great at first as well (as every shop would who wants your buisness). But as things progressed, I found the bill skyrocketting and when it was all said and done my final bill was more than twice what the original estimate was! But what was I going to do? Tell them to stop and I'd just take everything that was in pieces somewhere else? Then after it was all done, I had put very few miles on it and ran into some issues (which those of you reading with forced induction applications know that there are almost always bugs to work out of your initial setups). Issues that unknown at the time were not the shops fault, however the dude wouldn't help out with it at all, and told me basically to go fu%# myself. I got the bugs worked out on my own, and the car has performed almost flawlessly since then and been very strong, but it just goes to show you how things can change over time. And it is over time that you will know just how good of a shop they really are by their customer service to you, and the longevity and performance of the work they did.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

i take it it;s an occasional driver.......7,000mi and no prob is enough for me.....it sucks that they raped you on price and over shot your due date....but in this industry it is pretty normal......paint and body is just as slow though.....
call911 thats good news.......
chicagocrewboss i hope everything goes as planned for ya

john
Old 01-11-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i can say how good the eng is due to the fact it was isntalled a year ago and i have over 7,000 miles on the eng. it has been to the dyno and all the push rods are there. i dont think your original post should have been in here. the guy was excited he got his motor installed , he shared it and you kinda put a damper on it, why??? not really sure..

to the original post, that is one nice looking eng bay. im sure when you get it off the dyno and can unleash the beast you will have a permanant smile
Old 01-11-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot
i take it it;s an occasional driver.......7,000mi and no prob is enough for me....

john
Yeah it doesn't see winter streets. I do drive it hard when I drive it, but its not every weekend of the year.

Originally Posted by smoke20
well i can say how good the eng is due to the fact it was isntalled a year ago and i have over 7,000 miles on the eng. it has been to the dyno and all the push rods are there. i dont think your original post should have been in here. the guy was excited he got his motor installed , he shared it and you kinda put a damper on it, why??? not really sure..
I posted it in this thread because it is more relevant that way. If I started a thread and said the things I did on its own, people probably would ignore it and move on compared to posting it and making this case an example.

I do apologize to the original poster though, because my intent was not to bring rain down on your sunny day. However I do feel strongly about the intent behind my statement, and you did fit the example.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

No harm no foul Bro, and your point was well taken and addressed above by me. Let's not turn this thread into a pissing match now (as many do here), between you and anyone else, and just enjoy the fact that we very passionate about bad *** blown LS powered GM vehicles!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:50 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Nice, what compression did you go with?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:51 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

BadASS Jim!! I know you have to be happy. I'm sure I'll see it ripping by in front of my shop all summer! Your cars are all ways clean and MINT! Don't forget to stop by and show me.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
BadASS Jim!! I know you have to be happy. I'm sure I'll see it ripping by in front of my shop all summer! Your cars are all ways clean and MINT! Don't forget to stop by and show me.

Thanks Andy and PS John. Andy, I definetely will stop by your shop and show you the car no later than early spring. All it needs now is an auto tranny conversion to rip off some 9 second times slips!

John, went with 9:5 to 1, as I really wanted to make more power with less boost and have the car feel really strong for normal driving and not sluggish (off the boost ,etc). I was stuck on sticking with 10 :1 to 1 for the longest time for the reasons stated above, but came to my senses, as this was pushing things for 14/15 lbs of boost, and ANDY actually helped me come to my senses on that with a call from me one afternoon (thanks man).
Old 01-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Launching!

Interesting. We've got very similar setups now. Im at 9.5:1 as well, with a 224/228 on a 114+1 with similar lift numbers, and Patriot heads. Ive got a 3.85 pulley on my D1SC, but the head/cam combo works very well.....its as stout if not stronger than stock at the low end, and it ingests the boost very well.........I dont see more than 10lbs at redline on the gauge and thats with the 3.85 pulley. Then again, my intercooler makes the ECS setup look tiny.

I would assume you switched to the 8inch balancer to spin the blower a little harder? Your results at redline will be very useful to me, as Im contemplating doing the fuel system and the bigger balancer for more boost.

And yeah, 10:1 would have been too much for my comfort as well. But my car sees the roadcourse often. You need to crank up the meth, put in a few gallons of race gas, slap on a set of NT01s and hit a roadcourse!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

PAKISHO:

Sounds great bro and will post up when she gets dyno in a month or so (stay tuned). I have a feeling close to 14 lbs of boost will be made (but only time will see). At only half throttle yesterday driving moderately she was making 7 lbs in 3rd gear.

I do take my Z to a road course also at least twice a year and its a gas, and certainly plan on doing that again pretty much every summer!
ps-How much power you making with your set-up at 10 lbs (650rwhp would be my guess?)

Quick Reply: ITS ALIVE-My new Erik Koenig forged LS6 Blower Motor with ECS D1SC Procharger