Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help! Only seeing 9.5psi Boost with 15psi Wastegate Spring??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanted to correct the post by saying that it is for sure a 3.5" DP.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2Camaro
Wanted to correct the post by saying that it is for sure a 3.5" DP.
Your exhaust is only as big as the smallest diameter in the system.........also 3" is smaller then the turbine exducer even....not a good thing.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Your exhaust is only as big as the smallest diameter in the system.........also 3" is smaller then the turbine exducer even....not a good thing.
His exhaust is 5" off the turbo necked down to 3.5" all the way back to what ever cat-back he is using.

Joel
Old 01-27-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
So are you saying that I need to run a 3.5" all the way to the exit pipe just to allow the flow for the turbine exducer to be efficient? I am by no means a pro in all of this but I dont see many larger than 3" exhaust systems out there, yet alone a straight pipe with no exhaust that would be causing back pressure not allowing the turbo to flow freely. I will get ahold of my builder tomorrow and get exact measurements of everything from the turbo to the exit pipe and more details of the build, its hard being out here while the car is being built in AZ to get exact measurements of everything. I just know this build has WAY more potential than it currently is showing at this point. Again stay tuned. More info to follow!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So the Camaro is finally finished, after nearly two years(not kidding) in the shop. It appears the problem was the way he was referencing the WG, so thats what he says. With the Boost controller hooked up, which is an Innovative, at 15 pounds of boost on a Superflow dyno running pump gas it hit 717rwhp. Keep in mind this is on an automatic and a dyno that reads like a mustang dyno. I am waiting on the dyno file and the run conditions and will update the thread when I get them. I am pretty impressed with the numbers as this should be around 800+rwhp on a dynojet. Now if I can only get out of Baghdad and run the monster.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the Camaro is finally finished, after nearly two years(not kidding) in the shop. It appears the problem was the way he was referencing the WG, so thats what he says. With the Boost controller hooked up, which is an Innovative, at 15 pounds of boost on a Superflow dyno running pump gas it hit 717rwhp. Keep in mind this is on an automatic and a dyno that reads like a mustang dyno. I am waiting on the dyno file and the run conditions and will update the thread when I get them. I am pretty impressed with the numbers as this should be around 800+rwhp on a dynojet. Now if I can only get out of Baghdad and run the monster.
I believe that is what Jose told him several times. Guess it took him a while to believe it
Old 02-29-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I had him talk to Jose on the phone. Thanks for everyone's help on this. I am just glad that this is finally to the point of where I want it to be. I thought the troubles would never end when the map sensor was bad from the original Innovative boost controller when he got that hooked up. Now unfortunately time to store the car until I get back to race it. Still waiting on the dyno files.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Question ??

Are these pics after the install was completed?
If so, there's missing hose clamps on the cold side, at the cooler inlet tube...
Would likely account for the low boost.
1 other item. Mounting the O2 sensor[s] below 3/9 o'clock, will allow condensation to collect in them, and shorten the life.
Plugging the boost reference line to the gate will force the boost to be regulated only by the spring. What's the reading when doing that?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok as promised here is the dyno graph, well kind of, just a screen shot, still trying to get the actual dyno files from him. One step at a time LOL. Anyway sorry but no AF reading, no temperature condition readings, etc, just what you see. I am very pleased as this is with 93 pump with 15 psi of boost on the S-85. What do you guys think??

Old 03-06-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyway once I get eveything dialed in I will up the boost as the motor is more than capable, plus all of the components. What do you guys think I will hit with 20 psi of boost? Of course the true test will be to take it to the track, if I only could right now I would. This thing has been being built for the last 2 years and is finally done. Now its time to enjoy it once I get home, and cannot wait. Thanks everyone for your help on helping me making the correct buying decisions for all of the parts. I think this is a pretty stout setup. Now time for some track numbers
Old 03-07-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice number bro .

Quick Reply: Help! Only seeing 9.5psi Boost with 15psi Wastegate Spring??