Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My boost controller finally showed up!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Well it's Monday and I am finally ready to update. Unfortunately there is not much to update. This was a LONG weekend of work, and dyno time. It all started early in the week with Chris installing the AMS-1000 display, and 90% of the wiring.

Friday it was my turn to do the plumbing side, and the rest of the wiring to the solenoids and MAP sensor.

In hind sight I should have plumbed them together different just for the looks of it, but it works just fine and will do for now. I apparently never got pics of the waste gate side, but it isn't all that exciting anyway. Once Chris got back from work he dove into the BIG project of the weekend, the ECU swap.

If you don't know already this is a difficult swap. Almost every wire on the ECU needs to be moved, and some extended. Unfortunately for Chris the instructions he had were neither clear, or complete! But after a while we was able to get the bulk of it done, then we were able to trace some of the remaining wires and other important ones. After he was confident that it was all good we hooked up the computer so that we can check some of the sensors. When they checked out Chris wanted to crank it over to see some "movement" of some sensors. To our surprise it actually started for a couple of seconds!! So that was defiantly a good sign! After that Chris wired in the new GM 3 bar MAP sensor, and we were shot for the night.

We also knocked out some of the other smaller things that needed to be done to the car, such as painting the window net mount and some other things that were added to the cage. Installing the passenger side harness. Installing new plugs, changing the oil, and so on...

Here is an over head shot of the engine bay all ready for the dyno Saturday morning. The wiring is not finished, but functional for now, also there is a piece of tape on the oil cap reminding us to check the level after the car has started.

Saturday morning rolls around and we are up early to load the car and get it over to Simpson Performance. Very uneventfully which is good when loading or unloading a car And here is the car at the shop getting ready to be strapped down.

We had a little bit of a computer problem which delayed the start of the dyno session. Short story, Corey's main computer died recently and he was having a hard time finding some needed files, but eventually we got them and got started. We started with the very basic set up of the operating system and baseline tuning (start up, and so on), were able to make a couple low boost part throttle pulls and then had to call it a day.

Sunday morning we got up early again to head back over to get some real tuning done! Last year we had a problem with fuel and not having enough. Once we fixed that problem them our tune up was a little rich....

The flame thrower didn't last too long, Corey was on top of that ****! He started to chip away at the tune up and bring in more and more boost. Soon enough we were out of time again! Apparently people are busy on Easter weekend!? But before we left Chris and I installed the 10psi spring in the wast gate in preparation for the next day. We also seemed to be running out of fuel (again!) so we turned up the base pressure. Corey was going to adjust accordingly later in the day so we would be ready to go in the morning.

One shot of the car on Sunday

Monday, and you guessed it, another early morning! This time we got right into it and picked up where we left off. Corey had made a couple of pulls the night before and confirmed that the fuel tables were back to where they needed to be. We kept a close eye on the fuel pressure gauge for the rest of the day. As the boost went up, the fuel was going away, not good. So we pulled the pumps and found a bunch of trash in the screens. Cleaned them up and put it all back together, and now only one pump was working?! Pulled them out again and found the we snagged a wire going back in and unplugged it. So we plugged it back in, and checked the rest of the wires, put it back together and nothing?! So we thought (hopped) maybe we were running low on fuel so we ran and got another 5 gallons of 110 leaded, filled it up, and NOTHING!!!! So we pulled the pumps AGAIN and thought maybe they went in bad so more or less just threw them back in with our fingers crossed. Keyed on and, you guessed it, NOTHING AGAIN!?!?! Talk about frustrating! So we took them out again and found that we had some how wired them backwards (don't ask me how the hell that happened, I still don't know), so fixed that, put it all back together, and finally it was all working 100% again.

But after ALL of that, we still were out of fuel We suspect one, or maybe both, pumps is going or has gone bad. We shouldn't be out of fuel at the power we are making right now. So Chris ordered up two new pumps, so we can 100% rule out that problem. We are also going to clean out the filter and check the rest of the fuel system to make sure it is all good.

So that is where we are at, 3 days on the dyno and we are still not ready to make passes We are making a lot of headway, and we learned a lot the last few days. We will get these small issues sorted out and really see what this set up can do! I am not sure when we are going to be able to get back on the dyno, or make any passes but I will keep you all in the loop! Thanks again for following along!

Sean
Old 04-25-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yall seriously got alot of work done
Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What turbo and trans again?
What did it make for power?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Launching!

looks good. cant wait to see the results of the improvements!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

are you guys still running ebay valve covers?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't mention that many days on the dyno and then keep the numbers a secret.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

So I read threw older post.
Its a gt4276 on a 370 with a th400. On 10lbs it went 9.8s 134 on the old set up
Old 04-25-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just went through all 20 pages.. WTF! Nice
Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

cant wait for the results
Old 04-26-2011, 05:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Reject
yall seriously got alot of work done
Yeah, it was a busy weekend for sure!

Originally Posted by bad6as
What turbo and trans again?
What did it make for power?
Originally Posted by bad6as
So I read threw older post.
Its a gt4276 on a 370 with a th400. On 10lbs it went 9.8s 134 on the old set up
You got it! Since last year we changed the converter, the intake manifold and throttle body, and fixed the hose from the one fuel pump.

Originally Posted by typhoon1015
looks good. cant wait to see the results of the improvements!
Thanks! Me neither!!

Originally Posted by TX RED
are you guys still running ebay valve covers?
No, those are the GM performance ones. I pulled out the two breather tubes, welded the holes, and added the -10 bulkheads. We did a bulk head on this set to try and not warp the flange from the heat from welding. Even these still leak!!! We are cursed when it comes to valve covers

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
You can't mention that many days on the dyno and then keep the numbers a secret.
I just did To be honest I don't even know the numbers, Chris probably does. I know it was low, only a little more than last year. The converter is a lot tighter (close to 20% tighter) so we are showing about that less on the HP numbers. Trust me, it is making BIG power though It sounds completely different this year with the boost turned up

Last year: This year:

Originally Posted by regorih383
Just went through all 20 pages.. WTF! Nice
WOW, thanks for following along. I promise we will have final results soon.

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
cant wait for the results
Us either, it has been a lot of work and we want to see what it can do.

Thanks guys for following along! Like I said we want to see the final results just as bad as you guys, but we also want the car to be right. It shouldn't be too long before we are back to the dyno. It is only a day or two of work fixing the little things on the car. As soon it is tuned and ready, the track is very close by...

Stay tuned!
Sean
Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the comments guys. So, i am starting to think that my dyno numbers were inflated last year, by the converter having 20% slip. I am not sure if that is how it works, but @ the same boost lvls the car seems to be down about the slip we had. @ 9 psi we went from 590 last year, to 500 this year. But @ 6700 rpms the car was doing 155 mph, and last year @ 7,000 rpms the car was doing 134.

I have calculated out the slip and it is right at 4% on the dyno. I will check it again while its on the track. We ran out of fuel around 15-16 psi. The Fuel pumps would start off base 60, rise to around 75psi and then they would fall to around 45-50psi. The only explanation i have for this is the fuel pumps. They are both wired separate. They each have there own 30amp relay, and there own 20amp fuse. Because of the fuel pressure falling off we hit 102% duty cycle on the 60# injectors on 15 psi. Once we get the fuel pressure to stay, we should be able to get close to 20psi of boost on the 60's. If need be, then i might go to 80's, but we will see how close the turbo is to getting maxed out.

Even though the numbers seem lower then last year, the car is going to be faster this year!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

I had rc 750s at a base psi of 70 with a boost ref regulator. At 14 lbs boost I was at 102% dc.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Oh yeah I got fic 103s now.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know you'd probably run out of injector, but why not turn the base pressure down to around 43psi?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 PM
9 Second Club

Because i dont have enough injector. If anything i would run 80's with 58 base pressure
Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

What had you guys thought of the patriot heads so far? Have you pushed any water with them yet? I've been considering these for my build. At what point do you think you will have to step up to some thick deck heads? Great build so far guys!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:08 AM
9 Second Club

So far we have not had any issues with them, but alot of people have pushed thek further then i am. Seems like people start to have issues around 1000-1200 hp.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Banned

ill have some 80s for sale shortly if u decide to go with those for an injector. also im glad to see that those heads HAVE been pushed over 1k
Old 05-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Default Looking Good

So since I am back as an LS owner I finally created an account. Car is looking great guys! Cant wait to come and visit (and get a ride of course). Im looking to put a supercharger on the CTS-V and maybe I will come up there to do the work? Well see, anyways good luck on the dyno this weekend!

Jeff

Quick Reply: My build - Lots of pics