Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

GTO Magnacharger on 02 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO Magnacharger on 02 Camaro

My friend aquired a 2006 GTO Magnacharger kit for $3500.00 with 1000 miles on it. He desparatly wants me to make it work on his 2002 Camaro SS. He already cut 3/4 inch aluminum spacers for the k-member. I told him we would need to cut the cowl but the GTO unit looks like it sits farther back than the one offered by LME. Anybody have any ideas, I know the plasma and welder does wonders. I told him to call magnuson ane let them know if they can change the lower manifold or the blower to be moved up front. The whole kit looks brand new. Any body got any ideas chime in.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:58 AM
TECH Veteran

The GTO blower may require more cutting. The blower itself sits farther back on its intake then the Corvette one does. Not sure if the accessory drive will match up but that can be addressed I would think without an issue. Magnauson can prolly change that for him, or maybe even exchange it. Call Magnacharger and see what they can do. IMO.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what all you'll have to do. I thought you had to space the k-member even on the f-body kits... So you might need to do a lot of cutting under the cowl area.

But hey...that kit will fit nicely in my 3rd gen

J.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

He said if Magancharger wont help he will just buy the GTO acessories and make it work.He dont care bout cutting the cowl, we'll fabricate thats the least of out worries. But if it any easier then of course.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my brother up there with the 00 SS, we never EVER cut into his hood. But call maggie and see what needs to be done and all, you have the big part. Now the little nick nacks.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Teching In

LMSpeed uses the C5 magnacharger with a modded snout that's custom built including the drive rod bearing support. You can't buy this from Magnacharger either as they don't support it. Trust me I've tried. The C5 magnacharger sits forward enough on the intake that you only have to make minor mods with to the firewall on the camaro. I bought a C5 Maggie for my truck but I'm selling it to a guy on the corvette forums so I can buy the GTO setup so it will sit back against my firewall.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you will have much problem fitting it .

A Place called hawks third gen parts did this a few yeas back with same charger on a Camaro.

1. lower K-member like LM Speed.

2. Cut cowel area a bit.

3. You will have to relocate the pasanger side wiper arm.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Regular

I wonder how he spaced out the pulley .88'' or is the GTO accessory drive the same distance of the motor like the f-body?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by marine02ss
I wonder how he spaced out the pulley .88'' or is the GTO accessory drive the same distance of the motor like the f-body?
Hi John,

The GTO pulley should line right up with the F-body drive. The GTO blower does sit further back, but I think you could use our same template from the F-body kit to cut the firewall, and just leave out the metal panel that we normally weld in place on the f-body. Keep in mind that the GTO uses a different intake manifold that sinks the blower down lower toward the engine, so I don't think the GTO kit will need as much clearence as the F-body kit does. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Since it's for you, I wouldn't have a problem sending the templates, and spacers and metal panel with your kit next week. We can discuss it this evening,

Thanks,
Ed
Old 02-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Hey Ed, this is Lance. What about how the GTO Magnacharger sits further back on the manifold, you don't think that will cause problems? I think it sits back close to 5 inches further than the C5. I know you're the expert with the F-Bodies though. BTW, I think I have the C5 Maggie sold to swap with the GTO now. I'm sending it in for the box 2 kit in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

Well I measured the accessory drive and yes it is the same.So progress will continue with the blower. Were going to have the blower overdriven and see what it does, then later upgrade it to the 122 ot the TVS.

Quick Reply: GTO Magnacharger on 02 Camaro