Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Flexible exhaust usage and how to mount a turbo solidly

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flexible exhaust usage and how to mount a turbo solidly

FFR GTM kit car...

I am putting to semi-remote-mount turbos on this thing. One on each side.

As you can see, the engine and gearbox are a single assembly. I am trying to figure out how to mount the exhausts to the hot sides of my turbos. The only way I can figure to do this is by using a flexible exhaust pipe to keep my connections from breaking as the engine/gearbox twists.

I have been advised by others to use the flexible pipe (with the interlock inside) and then again I have been advised against it. Your thoughts? I don't like the idea of using the flexible pipe but I don't think I have any other choice here.

My second issue, how to actually mount the turbo. Any ideas? From what I have been able to pick up most folks mount off the hot tube coming in, not the turbo itself. Would be very interested in seeing pics of others turbo mounts.

Any help, ideas, suggestions, appreciated.

Jeff

Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Nobody?

At least thoughts on whether to use flexible exhaust tube or not?

Jeff
Old 02-25-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What type of motor mounts are you running?

I am using 2.5" flexible couplings on my build. I would run them if you can especially if you are using rubber motor mounts.

Anytime you can eliminate the possibility of a pipe cracking the better. One reason I did it is because you spend time building the kit, coating the kit and if you get a crack, than there is down time as well as fixing the crack and recoating the pipe as well.

Glenn
Old 02-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Coal Mining Director

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...3&d=1194982346

There's a good turbo brace picture that you can work from.

Good luck getting turbos in that tight of a confined area....looks like a great candidate for a Magnacharger. You might showhorn GT2871R's in there but it will be tough. I've been told (but never tested) braided flex pipe will wear under high heat....so if you use it, make it user friendly with v band clamps to pull and replace and it will not matter as much when it goes.

Good luck.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make it user friendly with v band clamps to pull and replace and it will not matter as much when it goes
Thats exactly what I did.

The flex couplings I used are double lined, don't know if this helps

Glenn
Old 02-25-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats going to be a sweet ride when you are finished....good luck on the piping issues

i wish i had more advice....
just lurkin for info
Old 02-25-2008, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Glenn.. Same as you, rubber mounts. Is there any noticable power loss using a flex coupler? I am only gonna runn 6-8 lb boost at first so if there is, I doubt I'll be noticing it. I just wanted to be sure this is the right way to go. Thank, you confirmed this should be the route to take.

I will check out the other turbo brace pics everyone. Thanks a bunch, if there are more I'd really be interested in seeing them as I am gonna have to come up with something pretty creative here.

Hmm, I've seen what they call 'interlock', but not a double lined. I think the interlock is the same thing, braided on the outside, interlocking rings on the inner.

V-bands. Good idea. I plan on coating all the pieces and covering with wrapping. The flex piece will be bare of course. I like the band idea, I think I understand them but admittedly have never used one or hand it in my hands.

Do V-Bands use gaskets or do they really clamp that tightly?

Actually, I am hoping to put the turbos behind the rear wheels (yes I realize it's putting a lot weight back there). So the area where you see the pipe right now, that'll feed into a flex pipe, then into another small piece of straight solid pipe towards the back of the chassis and finally into the turbo mounted long-wise.

So in the 5th and 6th pictures, you can see a little of the turbo (I am holding it in my hand for that pic), where the turbo is, is basically where I am going to fab something up to mount it there. So it kind of a quasi-rear-mount. Not really a direct mount, but not too far back either, only about 3 ft piping max.

That is why I wanted to see the mounting pics to get some ideas of creative way to mount a turbo to a chassis. I've scoured all over google looking for such pics.

Jeff

Old 02-25-2008, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Holy cow, that pics is exactly what I was looking for.

Is there any more pics of that setup? What thread is that in?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Launching!

off the topic but hey what the sproket for?

nice looking engine tranny combo.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think you would lose any power through the flex coupling. Yeah, I think they are braided on the outside and flexible tubing on the inside or something. I can't remember what the inside of mine look like.

The V bands do not have a gasket, they just fit together really tight. They actually make a V band with a gasket, but they are for the intercooler side only!

I actually have the poly motor mounts. That might be something you want to think about!

Good luck with your build. I will have pictures of mine up soon.

Glenn
Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigJls1
off the topic but hey what the sproket for?

nice looking engine tranny combo.

looks like a reloctor wheel for ABS,Traction Control or wheel Speed Sensor
Old 02-26-2008, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Poly mounts. I might have to do that. I think I could yank up the engine and slip them in without doing removing the whole engine.

Correct. The ring is for the speedo. There is a sensor (not on yet) that butts up next to next to it and counts the teeth going by. It plugs into a box from Accel that then wires to the speedo gauge.

THanks all. if you happen to run across any usual turbo mounting fabrications I would be interested in seeing them.

jeff

Quick Reply: Flexible exhaust usage and how to mount a turbo solidly