Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anybody using a single 88mm or 91.5mm turbo with an LTx/LSx?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody using a single 88mm or 91.5mm turbo with an LTx/LSx?

I'm just curious if anybody has done it yet with either the LTx or LSx based motors.... Also, if they are doing it with an LSx based motor is it the iron truck block, LS1/LS6 aluminum block or the C5R aluminum block? Just seems a bit odd that nobody has stepped up to the plate and done it yet, but meanwhile the Mustang boys have done this with those little 4.6 modular motors
Old 07-20-2003, 11:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Re: Anybody using a single 88mm or 91.5mm turbo with an LTx/LSx?

I'm running a couple TE-60's on my LT1, and was thinking about the 91mm thumper on an LT1 but reality set in. IT WILL SPLIT THE BLOCK LIKE AN OVER RIPE WATERMELON. So.. I'm thinking about starting a Little M, Brodix headed, 91mm 1500hp project.. just something to pass the time... LOL

In all reality, compared to some of the wild *** LSX **** going on over here, it wouldn't be that expensive..

It's time to push the envelope, BMR has been working on a big thumper project for a couple years and it hasn't came to fruition, and numerous other people have threatened to make some sick power on a "stock suspended f-body" but no one has actually done it..

I winched my car back into the trailer this past friday after a low-low 6 second 1/8th mile pass with a 1.41 60' on radials.. The LT1 is biting my ***.. I think I blew up another optispark.. I'm sick of it. sick of it I say

I think I'm up for a thumper project.. center mounted. dual radiators. dual water pumps.. ahh I'll work out the details...

keep an eye on www.teamprickracing.com

Old 07-20-2003, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

I'm running a couple TE-60's on my LT1, and was thinking about the 91mm thumper on an LT1 but reality set in. IT WILL SPLIT THE BLOCK LIKE AN OVER RIPE WATERMELON. So.. I'm thinking about starting a Little M, Brodix headed, 91mm 1500hp project.. just something to pass the time... LOL

In all reality, compared to some of the wild *** LSX **** going on over here, it wouldn't be that expensive..

It's time to push the envelope, BMR has been working on a big thumper project for a couple years and it hasn't came to fruition, and numerous other people have threatened to make some sick power on a "stock suspended f-body" but no one has actually done it..

I winched my car back into the trailer this past friday after a low-low 6 second 1/8th mile pass with a 1.41 60' on radials.. The LT1 is biting my ***.. I think I blew up another optispark.. I'm sick of it. sick of it I say

I think I'm up for a thumper project.. center mounted. dual radiators. dual water pumps.. ahh I'll work out the details...

keep an eye on www.teamprickracing.com

I see what you're saying about the LT1 block because from what I've heard it's good up to about 1000-1200hp and then it will crack (probably why Mr. Baxter went to a Dart block).... I honestly would just like to see more "serious" turboed 4th gen F-bodies because down here in South Florida the Mustang boys are really kicking ***.... Hell last night I went to my local track (Moroso) and saw a new black GT Stang with a little 302ci built modular motor and a single 76mm turbo w/ a Liquid IC run high 8's @155+mph on drag radials (from what I was told it has run a best of 8.77 @159mph so far) There is a picture of the car on Job Spetter's website www.turbopeople.com under the customers section.... Why don't I see 4th gen F-bodies like this?

BTW, I've seen the BMR car on their website and it should be a badd mother when it's done
Old 07-20-2003, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i can GUARRANTEE you that the turbo they are using is not a 76mm compressor wheel. The inducer bore might be a measured 76mm but the wheel's inducer doesn't have to be

those drag radial turbos are tricky
Old 07-21-2003, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

i can GUARRANTEE you that the turbo they are using is not a 76mm compressor wheel. The inducer bore might be a measured 76mm but the wheel's inducer doesn't have to be

those drag radial turbos are tricky
Yeah I've heard about that, but now with the new Garret GTQ wheel I've heard they can make 1100hp with a 4-bolt "real" 76mm turbo.... Regardless that thing was hauling *** and all of that from a little 302ci motor.... The car is on this website as well>>>

www.modmaxracing.com

Old 07-21-2003, 07:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing the problem is the LOG.....until you got a lot of folks running a twin setup or headers to one big turbo...it ain't gonna happen.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm at the same road as Brady as in I'm starting a DART based motor for my SS.

I'm currently using a PTK kit, its uses 1 3/4" headers with 4" DP and a turbo larger then a T76 ..hehe

Brady, let me know how your going to get around the opti problem as I'm getting close to cranking mine up. I want to get rid of the opti also. I've already got a guy that will convert my LT4 intake to rear distributor, which will hopefully get rid of the opti all together with a crank trigger. Thank God for FAST...hehe

Cablebandit, yeah, the log is what is holding power down....trying to flow large amounts of air through a 2 1/2 log becomes a bottleneck quick.

Jose
Old 07-21-2003, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Brady what failed in your opti spark? you are running a crank trigger right? As mine has seen 8k+ no problems here.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Steve, I don't know what happened to this latest opti.. I didn't have the ambition to tear it apart today.. I'm not running a crank trigger, I'm running the LTCC box by Bob Bailey. It takes the high voltage out of the opti and uses 8 LS1 coils.. It still uses the low/hi res signals out of the opti.. I've been through three optis since May 28th.. 1st one was one of the screws that holds the rotor in place backed out and everything inside was loose (and ruined). The second opti lasted a month and then it "exploded" (pics here). I'm curious to see what's the matter with this opti, as you can see in the pics, I cut the rotor down for less chance of it coming apart.. I only spin this thing to 6600 rpm too FWIW..
Old 07-21-2003, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Steve, I don't know what happened to this latest opti.. I didn't have the ambition to tear it apart today.. I'm not running a crank trigger, I'm running the LTCC box by Bob Bailey. It takes the high voltage out of the opti and uses 8 LS1 coils.. It still uses the low/hi res signals out of the opti.. I've been through three optis since May 28th.. 1st one was one of the screws that holds the rotor in place backed out and everything inside was loose (and ruined). The second opti lasted a month and then it "exploded" (pics here). I'm curious to see what's the matter with this opti, as you can see in the pics, I cut the rotor down for less chance of it coming apart.. I only spin this thing to 6600 rpm too FWIW..
I remember reading about one guy with a supercharged LT4 in GMHTP mag that got rid of the Opti-Spark by eliminating the EGR and using an MSD Billet distributor.... There is a pretty good tech article on the Opti-Spark in the latest issue of GMHTP.... Here is the link>>> http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...0htp_optispark

Good luck
Old 07-22-2003, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

You are talking about Znines

Old 07-22-2003, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

You are talking about Znines

I guess.... I just read the article again this morning and the guys name is Chris Sikora....
Old 07-22-2003, 12:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,157 Likes on 752 Posts

As far as I am concerned, Intmd8's single turbo setup sets an excellent standard. He's making over 700rwhp with a single and the car has been trapping around 135mph at like 3800 raceight on radials. I have not seen any other single setup lately that has been running in the mid 130's or in the 140's.

I hate seeing folks abandon the LT1 block without actually having split one.

Znines = Chris S = distributor conversion guy = 9.32@149mph best this year
Old 07-22-2003, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

As far as I am concerned, Intmd8's single turbo setup sets an excellent standard. He's making over 700rwhp with a single and the car has been trapping around 135mph at like 3800 raceight on radials. I have not seen any other single setup lately that has been running in the mid 130's or in the 140's.

I hate seeing folks abandon the LT1 block without actually having split one.

Znines = Chris S = distributor conversion guy = 9.32@149mph best this year
I don't think anybody doubts the LT1 block can hold some power, but I'm sure there were some reasons why Mr. Baxter decided he needed that Dart block....
Old 07-22-2003, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bet one of the reasons why baxter went to the Dart block had more to do with the option of the larger bore and optional larger deck height moreso than the strength issue
Old 07-22-2003, 04:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Mr. Baxter was looking to compete it in the Pro Extreme Street class and it's a 8.6 class, so I think he saw the Dart block as being the best option for him to make 1200 hp and run all year. I do think that a LT1 block could run 8.6's too.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Mr. Baxter was looking to compete it in the Pro Extreme Street class and it's a 8.6 class, so I think he saw the Dart block as being the best option for him to make 1200 hp and run all year. I do think that a LT1 block could run 8.6's too.
I agree and I think that's why Brady mentioned the Dart block for his 1500hp project with a single 91mm turbo because he doesn't want to worry about the block being the weak link...... I'm sure if somebody built a lighter car (say 3000-3200lbs) an LT1 block could be reliable in the high to mid 8 second zone.... Hell Baxter's 97 SS 'vert Camaro was around 3800-3900lbs when it ran 9.00 @155mph if my memory serves me correct! Maybe if he took some weight out of the car he could have used the LT1 block to run some mid 8's.....
Old 07-22-2003, 06:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

What happens is that folks don't want to be the first one to find the limitation of a block.

I have never seen an LT1 block split like a stock 5.0 block from an early 90's Mustang.

Baxter indeed went 9.0@155mph at Atco which is an awesome and fast track.

His record is going down in the next couple of months.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

His record is going down in the next couple of months.
To who?? Mr. Sikora?

I think it's about time somebody puts an LT1 in the 8's.... It's not really a matter of power (155mph is plenty for an 8 second pass) rather it's a matter of traction (60' times) because I know plenty of Stage II Turbo V6 Buick Regals running 8.60's to 8.70's with 155mph mainly because they are getting low 1.3 and high 1.2 60' times....

Keep us posted on who gets in the 8's with an LT1
Old 07-22-2003, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Brady, I'v been most problem free for the past 5 years after I went to the fast system. I run a gutted opti-spark, only problem I ever had was when I forgot to loc-tie the rotor down, and it came louse.

Quick Reply: Anybody using a single 88mm or 91.5mm turbo with an LTx/LSx?