Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Boost levels

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sounds about right cuz when mine was on the dyno and after he finished adding fuel to it for a bout five minutes to make sure it wouldnt blow up (thats how lean it was runnig)...the AFR's were around 10.5-11.0
Old 03-24-2008, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is 8 psi what you run all the time or is 8 psi high and 5 low boost. I would like more power, but scared to do so on the stock bottom end. I work around car all day and see what happens to a car that is not built right and people get in a hurry and don't reseacrh to see what areas others run into trouble. thank for the help. I don't mean to some what inturde on the poster post, but I don't what to start another post about the same thing.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

well 8 psi is my normal boost level and i was running 10 as my high but my boost controller started freakin out and not working right so i disconnected it b4 anything really bad happened...being that i run a 98 which is the first year of the LS1 in these cars i am blessed with the weakest of everything...from pushrods all the way down to rods and rod bolts...so in about a month or maybe two...the car is gonna be handed over to SP motorsports for motor work to be done so i can handle higher levels....being that im on the topic of boost levels does any one have any idea as to why it whent to 8 psi at 5200 rpm's but once it got to 6200 it dropped to 7 when it was on the dyno?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

F-BodyGuy, what size turbo are you running? If it's a 60 trim, that could be why boost is dropping off.

RsSean, if you have an intercooler, 8 psi should be fine. I ran 8 psi intercooled for a while and made 475 rwhp on a very conservative tune. At that time, the engine was 100% stock.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by F-BodyGuy98
well 8 psi is my normal boost level and i was running 10 as my high but my boost controller started freakin out and not working right so i disconnected it b4 anything really bad happened...being that i run a 98 which is the first year of the LS1 in these cars i am blessed with the weakest of everything...from pushrods all the way down to rods and rod bolts...so in about a month or maybe two...the car is gonna be handed over to SP motorsports for motor work to be done so i can handle higher levels....being that im on the topic of boost levels does any one have any idea as to why it whent to 8 psi at 5200 rpm's but once it got to 6200 it dropped to 7 when it was on the dyno?
More than likely your spings are weak and the boost level is opening the valves and it drops your boost pressure. everyone here has told you to drop boost down to 5-6, your set up is not safe for 8 psi. your IAT has to be around 160-180 on an 8psi run. a stock block can run 8-10 psi with the proper supporting mods, intercooler, or meth and fuel. you have none of the above. save yourself the heartache of blowing the motor back it down. save your money and forge that engine , buy intercooler, fuel pump upgrade. then run 8-10 psi safely and you will enjoy it.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

well im gonna be getting an intercooler done within the next couple of weeks then im gonna start saving to have all supporting mods done...i.e. engine work..and rear end
Old 03-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Teching In

I think it`s more HP than the boost . I broke a ring landing with my sts set up at 500RWHP . This was @ 8lbs of boost .
Old 03-25-2008, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

You're asking for trouble playing with that much boost without some sort of IAT cooler. If you come back to 6 psi and lean it out a little bit, maybe run a little more timing id imagine you could find HP numbers in the same ballpark and be safer overall.

Did you put that number down with all that extra fuel? Or did you put down the big number and he backed off the fuel/timing to make it safe? Just curious. I made those numbers with the base STS @6 psi through an auto. For a little while anyway, till on a warmish night those high IATs snuck up on me and detonated at the 1000 ft mark.

Put an intercooler on it, some 6l heads w/ patriot dual golds, and youll be good to get a bit more aggressive.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

well when he did the first inital pull he said it was running WAY lean...he was shocked i hadnt blown it up yet...but now my afr's are around 10.5-11.0...he added fuel to it for a good couple minutes b4 we did any hp pulls just to make sure it wouldnt blow its self up cuz these kits have a natoriuos reputation for doing so on the dyno...and yeah...he did pull timing from it to ensure saftey

Quick Reply: STS Boost levels