Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need more suggestions with belt/pulley setup.........

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need more suggestions with belt/pulley setup.........

My car is down once again, do to more blower belt and pulley issues...

The car makes 12psi with the K&N off, wants to climb, but the belt is destroyed before that happens...

ASP 7.85" crank 8 rib, 3.3" RR 8 rib, belts are done after one run, everything looks to be lined up right..

ScottWS6 runs similar pulleys, just a little bigger, and hes making more boost, and not slipping...
hes stock bracket, stock tensioner...

Everything I have is stock too...

Bracket flexing, tensioner too tight?

We are basically running out of ideas on what to do to get the problem solved...

Old 07-24-2003, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Default Re: Need more suggestions with belt/pulley setup.........

ttt I'm curious too. What's the best way to tell if your belts slipping? I've got the 3.85 pulley.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well with mine, with the pulley I had on there before after a weekend of driving there was a good amount of dust built up on the charger...thats from the belt slipping....if you are using the stock pulley setup, just take a look at the boost gauge and see if the boost drops under WOT...its easy to tell when tuning on the dyno
Old 07-24-2003, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Put on a spring loaded tensionser if you can - I have had more luck with those - but I *really* think it is your bracket flexing (I beleive that was the consensus on your last post) - have you had a chance to tray and address that yet? Short of fabbing a new one you can work/weld some supports to it, or in some way modify yours.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Speed Inc. is still working with the problem....I think they will solve it, its just going to take some time, it probably is the bracket flexing, but they are not 100% sure....they had a similar problem with their shop car though...
Old 07-24-2003, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I installed my system and the alignment was way off (I threw 4 belts within 15 miles of easy use), I ended up shortening one post and adding a washer to another post to get it straight (I used a machinist straight edge and machined blocks to true it in), if your system is flexing under WOT then maybe the alignment at idle should be cantered or offset in the opposite direction? I’m only talking buy fractions of a degree so when under heavy load the alignment is dead on. After I got the thing aligned I threw one more belt but it was on pretty loose, I bought the Good Year Gator back belt and have not had a problem since, I have dyno’d it and mashed it on the street…. No issues.

Brian
Old 07-24-2003, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sell procharger....buy turbo :

the tensoiner is a good idea. maybe it would be worth putting a call into Sikora to see what he thinks but i do know alot of lt1 guys have solved belt issues with a spring loaded tensioner
Old 07-24-2003, 03:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,221 Likes on 778 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Brian,

It's one of three things:
#1 Bracket is flexing
#2 Alignment is off
#3 Your custom pulley shreds belts

I personally think it's a combination of #1 and #2.

I believe you mentioned that one side of the belt showed more wear than the other side?

Worst case you could see about having ZNines reinforce your bracket and other aspects of the kit.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

there are so many issues with getting this setup right....I guess we will see what happens in the following week
Old 07-25-2003, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmmm... My belt showed uneven wear also, it doesn't now though, it's a bear to get the pulley's lined up, if you reinforce the bracket you better make dam sure the pulley's are dead nut's on before you do any permanent fabricating... It was hard enough aligning the pulley's with the stock bracket, I must have removed the SC 20 times to check the angle of the belt and wear pattern on the belt before I got it right (my pulley was off on 1 plane and 1 axis). I did not know the pulley was custom built, better recheck the rake or angles of the rib's on the pulley and make sure the rib's have no ding's on them, even one little ding will cause the pulley to chew up the belt in no time. I didn't do it myself but you could fabricate an alignment tool that can be held in place to make the process go smoother, maybe use the main pulley bolt to lightly clamp the tool in place.

Brian
Old 07-25-2003, 06:14 PM
7 Second Club

I would concentrate on custom engineering a support for the bracket.I was going to do this but the frustration got to me and I just got rid of my D-1.I would mount a cam corder where you could get a video of what the bracket does while on the dyno.This would show what is really happening.I thought of drilling a hole in the bracket,tapping the hole and running a long bolt thru it till its flush to the front of the engine block.Put a lock washer on it and it would probably work.I havent had my blower for a while now,so Im not sure you have room to do this.If the bracket flexes toward the block it may work.If it flexes away from the block(toward rad)you could weld a nut to the block to hold the bolt in place.I know it sounds kinda hillbilly but Im just throwing some ideas out there.Trust me I know the aggravation.I would try to get some pics from ScottWS6 and see what he has to say.Good luck.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,221 Likes on 778 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I think that 98blk/brian had the same problem. Bos if you stick with it you need to have someone with time and patience to work on it. Worst case give Znines a holla once my car is gone from there.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

yea, all the frustration of this is making me want to sell the D-1SC, its summer, and its deja vu of last summer, my car sat around all the time, I need to do something to get it up and running...
Old 07-26-2003, 02:06 AM
8 Second Club

i had the same problem , i just added washers to the posts and no slippage now.
check that your alternator is tight and not loose some how.

i also noticed that the type of belt makes a big difference. i used to use carquest brand belts , and i would get slippage and dust no matter what i do, it also would start loosing the ribs off the belt. on average i could get 2k miles per belt befor it either diseintegrated or snapped. when i switched to the goodyear gatorback belt i had none of the those problems: no slippage , very little dust since i put it on and the belt has been on for about 6k miles and it still looks like new.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Goodyear Gatorback IS the bomb.

Don't use anything else.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:50 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am lost.. Are you using the stock belt tensioner, custom tensioner or a Katech tensioner? Once I changed gears my belt stretched and actually started shredding. I know I do not have a supercharger, but I recently purchased a new belt and Katech tensioner from Futral Motorsports.. You ask where am I going with this? I do not know? I just wanted to chat with the big dawgs..
Old 07-26-2003, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have the stock tensioner, and stock bracket, is the goodyear gatorback belt an 8 rib belt? How much do these go for, where can I get one?
Old 07-26-2003, 12:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Autozone carries them. But, if they don't have your size, they may have to order it.

It helps to take them a part number.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:16 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I really do not understand why a SC'd car would want to use the stock tensioner? Katech the builders of the C5R recommends modded cars to use a tensioner that you can adjust. Looking at my Katech tensioner I can understand why. I adjust it and never have to worry about the belt slipping..
Old 07-26-2003, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think I basically need to get a support made for the bracket.....its flexing under load...

Quick Reply: Need more suggestions with belt/pulley setup.........