Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is there any reason NOT to go with an STS kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sts blows.

if you want to keep it simple and clean, go with a procharger. you will thank me later
Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Just seems like a turbo mounted all the way in the rear would create several issues....
A few that pop to mind are IAT's, oiling, susceptible to road hazzards....

I just installed a procharger D1 and LOVE it! Granted I haven't gotten to go full boost yet...only 100 miles on new motor...but I can tell you at 7 psi, ~4k rpms which is the max i've gone so far at 1/2 throttle it is a MONSTER!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Leaded Edge Performance
Las Vegas

Garth W
LEP
702 375-4999
STS Turbo dealer

http://www.lvfbody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26091
Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by COD02SS
Why? What problems have you had with it?
Turbo weeped oil. STS said it was cause the turbo wasn't level
STS customer service really does try but all they ever did was send me e-mails with crap I already knew.
Crankcase pressure issues/blow-by etc. It loved to blow oil out of the oil cap and dipstick.
No boost in 1st gear or till the top of 2nd and even then it made like 3 psi. Didn't make full boost till 3rd (M6)
LOVED to pop charge pipes off.
Oil pump failure (that one was fun! Luckily I was paying attention)
Ground clearance

I chased problem after problem after problem.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Have had mine on my LS1 Iroc Camaro and never had a problem other than my Oil feed line cam a little loose once and seeped oil. Blew the dipstick out once to but I was running 10 PSI and probably need more vent. 90% of all turbo kits are going to have to be modded. When just cruiseing in my car it is not loud at all were as a supercharger allways has that annoying whine. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk584
Leaded Edge Performance
Las Vegas

Garth W
LEP
702 375-4999
STS Turbo dealer

http://www.lvfbody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26091
WOWOWOWOWOWOWW
Old 03-26-2008, 02:19 AM
Banned

What kind of turbo does the base kit come with?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo weeped oil. STS said it was cause the turbo wasn't level
STS customer service really does try but all they ever did was send me e-mails with crap I already knew.
Crankcase pressure issues/blow-by etc. It loved to blow oil out of the oil cap and dipstick.
No boost in 1st gear or till the top of 2nd and even then it made like 3 psi. Didn't make full boost till 3rd (M6)
LOVED to pop charge pipes off.
Oil pump failure (that one was fun! Luckily I was paying attention)
Ground clearance
I have buddy with sts and he loves his. Blowing oil out the cap or dipstick usually means the engine is pouched not the turbo or their is problem with venting.
Might have had boost leaks in system that would also cause slow spool and lack of boost.
Charge pipes blowing off could be solved with t bolt clamps and possibly better silicone couplings not sure what sts supplies. I expect to buy t bolt clamps for my
aps kit it comes with worm gear clamps. Worm gear might be ok for low boost but not for higher boost levels.
Ground clearance agree there. Buddy is paranoid to drive routes he doesn't know for fear of tearing off the turbo on tracks, speed bumps,etc and bit paranoid to drive in heavy rain. I would maybe wait for the newly redesigned system that is coming out.

As for oil pump not a fan of scavenger pumps prefer gravity no pump systems,another reason got aps front mount kit.

But have to say the one lt1 car and ls1 car with sts have been pretty darn impressive even at 5psi. I don't much care what guys say about theory they seem to work in practice.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:59 AM
7 Second Club

Received 310 Likes on 209 Posts

I have tuned a lot of STS setups and also tuned a lot of prochargers, vortechs, maggies, and traditional front mount turbo setups so I have seen and driven just about everything. If I had the choice between all of them it would go in the order of front mount turbo, procharger, vortech, maggie, STS. STS is last on my list for many of the reasons that a lot of people have already spoke of so I will not go into it.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Nice rides man ^
Old 03-26-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

i did a custom rearmount on my blazer. never had an issue @ all. ran it for about 15 monthes and sold it to pay for college.

my buddy is running an STS with a T67 on his 04 gto. car is otherwise stock and rides out on 4psi right now. hes making 410whp on 4psi. pretty impressive if you ask me. im putting in a meth kit for him this week and taking it formata for an 8psi tune. should make 500whp.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you want a turbo the aps kit is a pretty nice setup.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

APS are the three reasons to not go with a STS kit

Ryan
Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Is there any reason not to? No.

Is there something better out there? Yes.

/endrepetitivedone11tybilliontimesrepostedtoshitthr ead
Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

You simply get what you pay for and thats the reason the sts kit is the price it is as compared to its various oposition.

This has been beaten to death many times, lots on info in search.

I suggest a procharger if you are worried about possible drivability issues, etc and best bang for the buck.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It depends on what you want. Just don't think it's going to be a bolt on, get it tuned kit. I needed to learn alot to get mine running good and deal with oil spewage etc. I'm one of the reasons NicD (very experienced car tuner) has the opinion he does. I spewed oil all over during our dyno session. I would have gotten an APS kit if I had the option back then. Superchargers work good, but you can't turn up the boost with a ****. I also need the AC, so some front mount kits won't work. I'm going to max this thing out and then get a real kit someday.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by enginjoe
I'm going to max this thing out and then get a real kit someday.
This just about sums it up if you ask me but if you are happy with say 5 psi or so go for it but even than the associated issues with them aren't worth it to me.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

get the OFI kit. i love that design

and the reason to not get a STS is cuss all your friends would make fun of you cuss you like geting blown in the butt
Old 03-26-2008, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geeteego
Is there any reason not to? No.

Is there something better out there? Yes.

/endrepetitivedone11tybilliontimesrepostedtoshitthr ead

You are underestimating the cost of the STS kit. Kit is $3500. A FMIC is around $800 (and regardless of opinion it IS needed). Fuel pump, injectors another $500. Hardened pushrods and better valvesprings $300. Gauges (to include wideband) $400. Tuning: $500. In short....it ends out the same price as the Procharger or Vortech when all is said and done.

The main drawbacks for the STS (aside from added cost mentioned above) deal w/ the oil return system. The connectors to the pump need to be soldered to provide a good connection and the wiring harness needs to be lengthened/ rerouted to prevent moisture underhood from blowing the pump relay switches. Also, the exhaust needs to be modded (unless you like 1 tailpipe (converted mine to a dump) and T-bolt clamps added at critical points to prevent the charge pipes from coming apart under boost. The exhaust needs to be wrapped to reduce turbo lag. The power steering cooler on a manual car needs to be moved by shortening the radiator hose on the driver side for clearance. The wastgate has to be referenced to the intake on the engine to allow for full spool in lower gears. Also, the STS PCV pressure cutoff switch is prone to failure and a vented catchcan is usually needed to prevent crankcase pressurization.

Most of the peeps bitching about the STS haven't taken the time to do the above mods and simply get pissed off at the system when it doesn't work flawlessly out of the box. So....... if you're lazy the STS probably isn't for you. Personally, I like it. But to each his own

Last edited by Schantin; 03-26-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Schantin
snip

i highly disagree

when it comes to the car, i am not lazy. or i wouldnt have reconstructed my car from nothing the last several winters.

i had an sts setup 4 years ago which was heavily modified. while ill be the first one to admit my car knowledge then wasn't even close to what it is now, i still had it tweaked rather decent.

don't get me wrong, i had fun driving it. it was the fastest thing (at the time) i have ever had. however, the issues, the miles of... EVERYTHING,.....just all the problems and lack of performance got me fed up. not to mention, it is a very pisspoor appearing setup.

fastforward, i put a real setup on my car, and bam. NIGHT and DAY. in every aspect of the car. i could write a novel but i simply dont care to.

and this year im building something on my own. i look back at where i started on this path, and i accept it as a learning experience.

i deal with a LOT of procharging, other supercharging, and a lot of turbo'ing. while i love my turbos, and continue to change setups for, well, progressively more extreme turbo combos;..... if i started from scratch, i would be happy with a FIC procharger setup

Quick Reply: Is there any reason NOT to go with an STS kit?