Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is there any reason NOT to go with an STS kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geeteego
I need to replace my couplers.

I've gotten by with worms, but I'll upgrade to t's soon, when Mike starts changing the charge piping and exhaust.

You HAVE to roll the lip...I kept blowing the charge pipe off the intake until I did this.

A .63 restrictor will do it. I have a .80 on mine now, and it still smokes when I lift off WOT. I have a SLP oil pump on my LQ9. The guys I know with ported Mellings are using a .58.

Agree that the 76MPS or whatever they include is garbage. I have a GTS now.

Phil, thanks for posting that information. I'll print it and reference it in the future.

-Ronnie

your talking about a .063, like it has a 1/16th of and inch hole. or am I missing somthing, cause .63 is like 5/8 of an inch?
Old 03-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by geeteego
Phil, thanks for posting that information. I'll print it and reference it in the future.
There is literally 2 more pages. If you want me to pm it to ya I can.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by needaz28
your talking about a .063, like it has a 1/16th of and inch hole. or am I missing somthing, cause .63 is like 5/8 of an inch?
Yes, I like to forget the extra 0 now and again.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

any one want to buy an sts kit? lol
Old 04-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dredoggy
any one want to buy an sts kit? lol
+1 Mine will go up for sale as is when I get home from Iraq for under a grand.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillyLS1
Like I said I chased problem after problem. The car make good power on the highway. I was like a domestic supra.
It's just not an efficent system. I made close to 700hp on a mustang dyno. But it didn't translate into a good 1/4 time. From a roll it was ok.

I wouldn't recommend the kit to M6 drivers.
When you lanched off the Line with your STS did it bog?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by COD02SS
I would absolutely LOVE an LS1 Maggie kit but they're 6500 and the procharger kinda scares me because i have heard of belt slippage issues. So that bring's us to the STS.. Standard kit is 3599 on new era and it looks like a hell of a deal. Ofcourse i don't think they come with a FMIC so add on another 500 for a intercooler and piping along with a better fuel pump/injectors and we're around 4500 dollars.

Now STS owners. Is the kit worth it? Driving impressions? Anything i should know about it? Thanks
check out my build. just see what ya think
Old 10-20-2008, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

How do you like your STS kit, I am a new owner of one and havent even finished install yet. I have heard a lot of negitives about the STS and hoping some of these issues can be solved by myself and buying better parts. what do you think?
Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
How do you like your STS kit, I am a new owner of one and havent even finished install yet. I have heard a lot of negitives about the STS and hoping some of these issues can be solved by myself and buying better parts. what do you think?
Ditch the longtubes, wrap your exhaust from the collector to the turbo, do an under the axle cold side pipe, use an intercooler, make sure there are no leaks, get a good tune and then have some fun. Zombie on these forums has done a lot of good work trying to get his rear mount system to point of max performance. Read some of his threads, it's all in there.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by enginjoe
Ditch the longtubes, wrap your exhaust from the collector to the turbo, do an under the axle cold side pipe, use an intercooler, make sure there are no leaks, get a good tune and then have some fun. Zombie on these forums has done a lot of good work trying to get his rear mount system to point of max performance. Read some of his threads, it's all in there.
Why should I ditch the longtubes? velocity and volume of the pipes? sadly though I no longer have my stock exshaust manifolds . I wanted to try to find a 2.5 inch Y-pipe for my exshaust to help build up more velocity. But haven't been succesful yet in finding one. I also have welded in sub frame connectors, is there anyway to run the pipe back to the front? also when you say wrap the pipe back what do you mean ?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Also, How efficent is spraying Nitrous with a STS kit? Will it help to spool the turbo?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why should I ditch the longtubes? velocity and volume of the pipes? sadly though I no longer have my stock exshaust manifolds . I wanted to try to find a 2.5 inch Y-pipe for my exshaust to help build up more velocity. But haven't been succesful yet in finding one. I also have welded in sub frame connectors, is there anyway to run the pipe back to the front? also when you say wrap the pipe back what do you mean ?
This has been covered in the many STS threads, but here's the cliff notes: LT headers lose too much heat. Wrapping the exhaust with header wrap is another way to keep the heat in the exhaust until it gets to the turbo. Stock manifolds are easy to find and cheap to buy. If you don't do this, you will spool a bit slower than you could. Oh yeah you have to cut out the left side subframe connector too.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

To be honest if you like 1/4 mile racing then sts is ok with a th400 look up zombie threads. six speed and sts work but not as well at the 1/4. If you like highway racing the sts is damgood from a roll. But other than that my car is built for 1 mile topend racing I have since gave up on the 1/4
Old 10-20-2008, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

I definatley like the 1/4 mile why is the th 400 so good with a sts?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

having QTP 1 3/4 with the HVMC is a good choice, and wrap your exhaust, and make sure you have a cam and 3.42 gears at least. Then you will love it get PAtrick G to spec you out a cam... i love mine.

my car is a blast to drive now
Old 10-20-2008, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
To be honest if you like 1/4 mile racing then sts is ok with a th400 look up zombie threads. six speed and sts work but not as well at the 1/4. If you like highway racing the sts is damgood from a roll. But other than that my car is built for 1 mile topend racing I have since gave up on the 1/4
With a auto trans I could see the STS working great in the 1/4. For me the damn thing just would not make full boost till midway through 2nd gear with my 6-speed. Ended up with some screwy 1/4 mile times..... like 13.3 at 120+ on 5PSI. MPH was incredible, while the actual time sucked. On the interstate the car was a beast. I smoked a BMW M5 bad (like 8+ car lengths from 50-100) and stomped on a couple Vipers as well like they were Hyundais 4 cylinders. On the flip side the car always felt sluggish on the street till 40mph, which is hardly optimal for a street-driven car. I did have LQ9 heads which lowered compression to 9 to 1, but it always seemed like something was lacking.

There are times I still miss the STS. Mostly on the interstate. NA the car feels slower and doesn't have the pull that it did with the STS. But, it runs damn near 1 second faster at the track, though it's down by 8MPH at the end of the 1/4 mile.

For peeps looking for a fun cruiser and who really want FI, the STS is great. For the track I had negative results vs a NA H/C setup, but that's my personal experience.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran 12.0 at 120mph with a crappy 60ft of 2.0 at 8psi. I never had problems with boost and I even had longtubes. The spool was a bit late, but you can compensate and adjust your driving with a 6 speed by picking the right gear. I did wrap the exhaust though. When I get the new motor in, I'm going with a bigger turbo and E85 like my skittle. Once I get it all working, I'm switching to auto too.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by enginjoe
I ran 12.0 at 120mph with a crappy 60ft of 2.0 at 8psi. I never had problems with boost and I even had longtubes. The spool was a bit late, but you can compensate and adjust your driving with a 6 speed by picking the right gear. I did wrap the exhaust though. When I get the new motor in, I'm going with a bigger turbo and E85 like my skittle. Once I get it all working, I'm switching to auto too.
What gears should I go with in a M6? I have 373 in my 12bolt. Can I run stock exshaust mainfolds and spool quicker than with LT's?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
having QTP 1 3/4 with the HVMC is a good choice, and wrap your exhaust, and make sure you have a cam and 3.42 gears at least. Then you will love it get PAtrick G to spec you out a cam... i love mine.

my car is a blast to drive now
Whats HVMC? and if I run stock mainfolds will I spool quicker? and I am running the Texas Giant Cam? bad or good ?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What gears should I go with in a M6? I have 373 in my 12bolt. Can I run stock exshaust mainfolds and spool quicker than with LT's?
I had 4.11s and they were too much. From what I have seen on here 3.42s are probably the best with an m6. The cool thing is you can try it with what you have and see how you like it. If the spool is too slow, can pick which mod to change first. I didn't really notice that you had a 400+ cu in engine. That just might work. You might run into problems with backpressure. I say install the kit as the car sits, wrap the exhaust from the collectors back and see where you stand with a good tune. What turbo did you get? What is the A/R? You should consult the turbo gurus to see if it will work with all your cubes.

Quick Reply: Is there any reason NOT to go with an STS kit?