Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

WARBIRD vs. QMP....the answers within....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,208 Likes on 773 Posts

Default Re: WARBIRD vs. QMP....the answers within....

As long as this thread does not get personal I won't lock it.

MM, why doesn't your setup hold boost, isn't that the sign of a bad wastegate?
Old 07-31-2003, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rice etr - If he was using A-tap to try to keep an eye on his car...

You should have B*$^# slapped him. Thats like asking a blind man to drive you home. A-tap only knows what the computer does and can only get info from the far from adaquit sensors that come with the car and then once he get the info from A-tap what was he supposed to do about a "bad" situation? Pray is gets better and doesn blow the engine?

I mean common this more and more sounds like they bought "tuner kits" to save the 1200 bucks and hoped they could BS their way to a safe tune with whatever parts they had on hand.

Hey here's a thought next time you take a plane tell the pilot you want to taxi out and you can prolly figuer it out because you know the trottle make you go and wings make you fly. LOL
Old 07-31-2003, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

----Eater:
You don't have a kit either!

You have no place commenting. There is no bad design, as proven by the vast majority (read: 20 more) of kit owners. The two dissenters are just losers. They'd readily blame someone else than blame themselves, where the blame belongs... They being the morons that couldn't put the kit together, nor tune it. Neither of the individuals in question knew how to install anything, nor could they personally tune their cars. The record of blown motors, and useless money spent correcting loose clamps speaks for itself.

Hide now, ----Eater. You've proven useless to this discussion!

SC-
Old 07-31-2003, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

2fast, its on the drivers side where it goes into the back of the turbo log, a band clamp overlaps the two pipe ends and thats what holds it together, no bolting on that side. for me it happened right at the beginning of third gear, around 13psi boost back then. i'll take pictures of it all when it gets taken apart this weekend.

sscam, i agree, there isnt much left to do, but since the turbo company (and suddenly now rob) agrees that the turbo is too small for my goal, then i can at least try an upgrade since i'll
need it anyway first.

ssooblue.. you have never helped with my tune and i wouldnt let you near the car. nothing is 'established about my tune' other than it has made more tq with pump gas than any other to date. and lastly you must have missed the 11.36 and the 127 trap speed. go for it, i'd love to see a car run good numbers like i told you before.. as i also said before my boost at the track moves all over the place in the mid/lower teens in boost reguardless of wastegate setting.

i hope you can gaurantee 11.8's hell any automatic with a stall and a tire can run an 11.8.. that only puts you behind about 6 grand from their investment.. congrats!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rice ETR

I let your childish remarks slide, besides judging from your "informative" post I doubt you have any knowledge on how turbomachinery works
Old 07-31-2003, 04:23 PM
Teching In

MM you just described the crossover pipe... If it goes "into" the log as in connecting to your crossover came loose and since the crossover is under immense pressure a clamp could quickly loosen.

If you are talking about the seam after the turbo in the downpipe this should be under relitively low pressure and shouldn't just blow off.

Either way I would change both to flanges so they can bolt together.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Warbird

I feel the same about your situation as MM. Just let ARE and QMP work it out. If ARE has done that many installs this one should not be any different or any more difficult. Let them figure it out.

I do think your over heating problem lays somewhere else though, not the turbo kit.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

ARE has probably installed and tuned about 10 turbo kits to date including Incon, Turbotech, and their C5 TT, this is the only one that caused these kinds of problems and most of those kits were on heavilly built motors as well.

Wrong, wrong and wrong again. Does ARE offer a TT kit for the C5?? Not that I'm aware of. And yes they DID have problems with it. I know...I was there. It wouldn't make boost OR power. Ask them why they took it off? They couldn't figure out why it wouldn't make any boost. They used multiple controllers and talked to me about it on at least 10-15 different occassions!
Don't beleive me, I have at least 5 witnesses that heard the converstaions at ARE, standing there!

They also couldn't get any power out of the Trans Am with the Incon kit, and a big cube motor. I know...the car was there for almost a year, while I was running back and forth for my new engines.

I'm not saying it's ARE's fault, I'm just pointing out, once again, how little you really know about what has went on.

And the reason I won't give you a hint, or agree with you about a "3rd party" looking at it, is because that's just one more group of people who won't have any idea what they are looking for! Like I said, bring it to me, I'll fix it. If it's my fault, it's FREE FREE FREE!!!!! What do you not understand??? How much more reasonable can I be???? What do I think you're afraid of? I'll tell you....that I can fix it, and then you won't be able to b!tch anymore. That I'll prove you wrong. That you know nothing of what you speak. That MAYBE...it's NOT the turbo kit. That's what I think you are afraid of.

BTW, what happened to the 3 way conference call between me, you and ARE that I agreed to?? Are you "skirting"?? I'd be more than happy to talk to them with you.

MM - The reason I brought up the offering of picking your car up, was because the offer STILL STANDS! I will meet you half way, fix your car, and then you can come get it. However, if it turns out to be an engine issue, and not a kit issue, it'll get pretty costly for you picking up the whole tab. I'm ready to gamble, how 'bout you?
Old 07-31-2003, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, good for you: 11.36 at 18lbs. HAHAHhahahahaha. You're great!

And, yup, $5400 is going to get me a boat-load more than 11.8s. Don't you get that the only reason that your car doesn't run worth a crap is that you haven't stopped listening to the two idiots that have no knowledge, and started listening to the 6 or 8 people that can truly get you to the maximum effort, for which you seek? After all, your ignorant, self-righteous, arrogant self-serving pride is getting you no where, while the rest of us are banging our collective heads trying to show you the way to get to your goal. Your just too proud to take help, and stop listening to your inbread VA pals.

I'll go quickly, and you'll blow up. Live it, own it, love it. Let us know when you're ready for help... We'll all be here.

SC-
Old 07-31-2003, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

well Rob, when TT came out with their kits... they said no tuning was required... eventually after tons of people started popping their engines, guess what, tuning IS required.... now nobody would dare run any sort of FI without tuning...so everyone is safer now...and since there are so few QMP kits out there, the odds are even less.
What cave have you been in?? Who do you think had the first TT kit? Who do you think figured out that it needed tuning, a fuel pump, and injectors, unlike TT advertised?? Who do you think fixed all of the problems with their kits, and tuned them??

One answer to all of those questions: ME.

Wake up.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:31 PM
Teching In

MM dear god you have small buisness that will actually fix a product for you even though its not warrantied. I can't say I know of many that will extend an offer especialy after all this BS.

Props to QMP for being a good sponsor
Old 07-31-2003, 04:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David...wait for the turbo and see what happens. Warbird, I bet your exhaust restriction is your problem. On my turbotech kit, I folded the "blade" on an electric cutout in half when trying to go thru a borla. Open up the exhaust after the downpipe and see what it does. Please realize that it will need to have the a/f readjusted with less backpressure. I can't remember which way it goes but mine changed consistently with exhaust open/capped.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said, bring it to me, I'll fix it. If it's my fault, it's FREE FREE FREE!!!!! What do you not understand???
Because he knows that showing the car to a professional will just expose the extremely shoddy workmanship and cobbled up crap that is on his car. It's pure embarrassment. That's all.

SC-
Old 07-31-2003, 04:36 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

SS00 has a QMP kit?
Old 07-31-2003, 04:36 PM
8 second mod

Hey Mighty!! I like the chick standing next to your car!! Any comments on her? Is it your old lady? Sorry in advance if I have offended you
Anyway, sorry for interupting this thread, Just had to let MM know!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

SS00Blue,
For someone who hasn't made any passes or even any decent dyno numbers you sure have a big mouth LOL! Another thing you probably do not understand is the difficulty of maintained boost during the 1/4 mile in six speed cars during shifts. (Turbo six speed cars that is)

Your car better run mid to low 10's with that new automatic and stall. What did your car dyno BTW?

MM, I am sure you will figure out what is going on with your car. Please just remember even a tiny little leak will affect boost, spool up time and wastegate efficiency. I had a tiny little leak on my Procharged 95 Z-28 and lost 5#'s of boost. The leak was inaudible. It wasn't till I took all the tubing off and reinstalled/sealed it up properly that the boost came back to normal. My boost wasn't load dependant either (pulley determined boost) and I lost that much. I was amazed.

Personally I think Warbirds car is running great.

Once he gets that cutout installed and redoes the tune/works out the kinks he should be in the mid high 10's@130-133mph in a 3800 pound car. That isn't bad at all IMO! If he had a great automatic and could launch in boost and hold boost on shifts he would run low 10s.

Chris

Old 07-31-2003, 05:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I think that Chris is making a fair comment. I would be checking for leaks, how do you do that on a turbo setup?
Old 07-31-2003, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So we're saying that on a bigger cube motor, we shouldn't be using the T-63 and we should tap the return line at the front of the oil pan? Just would like clarification from Rob in case I decide to upgrade to a 429ci down the road. I'll be calling him for advice with it either way, not like I can afford a 429 right now anyway.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ARE has probably installed and tuned about 10 turbo kits to date including Incon, Turbotech, and their C5 TT, this is the only one that caused these kinds of problems and most of those kits were on heavilly built motors as well.

Wrong, wrong and wrong again. Does ARE offer a TT kit for the C5?? Not that I'm aware of. And yes they DID have problems with it. I know...I was there. It wouldn't make boost OR power. Ask them why they took it off? They couldn't figure out why it wouldn't make any boost. They used multiple controllers and talked to me about it on at least 10-15 different occassions!
Don't beleive me, I have at least 5 witnesses that heard the converstaions at ARE, standing there!

They also couldn't get any power out of the Trans Am with the Incon kit, and a big cube motor. I know...the car was there for almost a year, while I was running back and forth for my new engines.

I'm not saying it's ARE's fault, I'm just pointing out, once again, how little you really know about what has went on.

And the reason I won't give you a hint, or agree with you about a "3rd party" looking at it, is because that's just one more group of people who won't have any idea what they are looking for! Like I said, bring it to me, I'll fix it. If it's my fault, it's FREE FREE FREE!!!!! What do you not understand??? How much more reasonable can I be???? What do I think you're afraid of? I'll tell you....that I can fix it, and then you won't be able to b!tch anymore. That I'll prove you wrong. That you know nothing of what you speak. That MAYBE...it's NOT the turbo kit. That's what I think you are afraid of.

BTW, what happened to the 3 way conference call between me, you and ARE that I agreed to?? Are you "skirting"?? I'd be more than happy to talk to them with you.
First on the three way call, I have no issue with it at all, and I haven't skirted it. ARE is closed till Monday, I leave for 2 weeks tomorrow, kind of makes it difficult to arrange at this moment doesn't it? If you want to do it when they get back I have no problem with it.

That TT kit that came off Wade,s car was in the earlier days 2-3 years ago, today it resides on a red Z06 and makes well over 500 RWHP at 6lbs of boost. You information is not wrong but very out of date. And yes ARE does offer a TT C5 kit. Any ways that's way off topic and he can discuss it with you if you want to know more.

I'm not affraid of finding out my big dollar motor might have a problem and I'm also not affraid to find out if my big dollar might not be the problem. Right now everything I have tried does point to the turbo. I'll tell you this now, I'm a big man and if we get this sorted out I will let everyone here know exactly what the problem is, would you make the same promise if it is the turbo (yes or no)? My problem is trust with you Rob, you seem to think you know the answer yet you would rather see me hurt the car than let me in on your secret, you have hinted many times that you already know: share. Why don't you think MTI, Rapid Speed etc. wouldn't be able to figure it out?

I'll let you in on my secret I hate to bitch about anything it pisses me off and I have no patience for problems like this. I would rather say Rob is the best than have to go through this ******* ****. There you go, it's easy to make my bitching go away and we'll both be happy.

I'm not about to drop off a car without knowing what was about to be done to it.

Paul
Old 07-31-2003, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

psj, i dont know why it doesnt hold boost, thats the whole problem.. i allready put out $400 for a replacement brand new hks wastegate that did not change anything. also it looks to me like ssooblue is being darn personal to me so you may want to review his comments as i have to do on ls1.com.

2 fast, atap has never let me down.. until it does, i dont have any problem using it.. 2 fast yes i agree the band clamp is not the best way to hold the pipes in the crossover together.. but it works great says rob on every other car besides mine and pauls (mine is spot welded now btw)

sscam, jarrods mustang was one of the fastest 5 speed stock motor incon cars around (pump gas) and i would love to let qmp figure my problem out but a couple posts ago he said it was my problem??? cuz i got a tuner kit.

cablebandit.. i will be doing just that.
noyzee, yep thats her.. i'll pass on the compliment.

chris, you are right about ssooblue.. hey did you know his stock motor and an EW generic tune beats the fastest in detroit! check some of his other wonderful input on ls1.com

rob, let me try the 71mm first and we'll see what comes of it, you still agree the turbo is too small correct?

Quick Reply: WARBIRD vs. QMP....the answers within....