Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Opinions on MagnaCharger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008 | 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by N4cer
All this talk is nice but let's lay it out there:

Badmonkey, Farmdawg: what track times did your cars run with the Maggie?

I'd love to know, because I'm considering a maggie setup just because nobody around me has done one. But I'm sure it won't feed my 408.
I ran an 11.4 at 122 with a slipping clutch. A lot of people have run a maggie 112 on a large cube engine like yours. It works, but is not efficient. You need something bigger.
Old 05-06-2008 | 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i guess what he is saying is 400rwhp at 2,000 is great but most races are at 4,000-6,500 rpms...... and a root style blower is better at low end tq than anywhere else..... and you are compairing one of the smallest prochargers as well, dont compair to the D1, F1, T trim or YSI for sure but a good blower for the street no dought..... but it seems like who ever has the certant product is gonna say its the best and thats just always the way it is..... but i can say you dont see many magnachargers winning alot of races over turbos and cent style blowers and i am speaking from experience as well but that dont mean they arent good...... i think the 2 are good for different reasons..... root vs centr
Old 05-06-2008 | 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

I like the cool factor, but it's hard to spend all that money just to lose.
Old 05-07-2008 | 02:00 AM
Launching!

I have no track times, I'm still working the tune issue; it's not ready for some all out WOT runs just yet. There is no local track to test here, legally, either. I have seen lots of procharger dyno sheets, and yes you can make more power with them then with the maggies, but the maggies are cool for the uniqueness, and some grunt that comes in around the 2k rpm range and then climbs at a nice flat rate. Badmonkey's car put down over 520rwtq and that started at 2k rpm at over 400.

It all depends on what you want out of your car, and where you use it. On the street they are fun and the whine will deter some, but they are beatable.
Old 05-17-2008 | 11:45 PM
On The Tree

sick rides, if i had the money, i would throw a maggie on the z28. I could just imagine how the torque feels!
Old 05-18-2008 | 08:28 AM
Launching!

it all depends on what you want to do with the car. if it is a fun street car with some track use, go with the maggie. if it mainly a track car go with a centri or turbo. i have a kenne bell on my z06. the torque is awesome down low. 560horse 530 torque at 7.5lbs boost.
i also have the stock bottom end.
Old 05-18-2008 | 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shkettle
it all depends on what you want to do with the car. if it is a fun street car with some track use, go with the maggie. if it mainly a track car go with a centri or turbo. i have a kenne bell on my z06. the torque is awesome down low. 560horse 530 torque at 7.5lbs boost.
i also have the stock bottom end.
show off, what size u got?

it would be nice if lmspeed could get the mp122, that would attract more peeps to it, i think. as it has more potential.
Old 05-18-2008 | 10:55 PM
Launching!

with the same amount of booost a procharger is better...but they work great also
Old 05-19-2008 | 12:59 PM
TECH Regular
20 Year Member

I was wondering if Ed had tried to put a 122ci on a ls1 yet ? also When are there TVS blowers coming out ?

warren
Old 05-20-2008 | 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wildta
I was wondering if Ed had tried to put a 122ci on a ls1 yet ? also When are there TVS blowers coming out ?

warren
Dont count on it. I was waiting as well but might just join the darkside and get an 03 Cobra after I sell my Procharger kit. Just hate everything else about Mustangs though.
Old 05-20-2008 | 06:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
We are all now dumber for having read this.
For STREET driving the Maggie would be awsome. Damn near nothing can make so much torque off the line. Stoplight races and street driving aren't at redline. (who doesn't drive at 2K RPM around town? ) I can outrun my dad's 03 Cobra at the track, but it's hard to beat the damn thing on the 0-40 and 0-60 street races. Not everyone wants a max HP, donkey-dicked, sputters below 4KRPM, max FI effort track car. Some people actually want a fast car and also use it for daily transportation.

My $0.02, think these systems are a nice addition to the FI choices out there
Old 05-20-2008 | 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

You must not've ever seen a properly geared, properly tuned car if you think that you'll EVER be racing from 2000rpm. Where would you even get such a crazy idea? And why would a car sputter below 4k RPM? It's not even making sense. It's like you are listening to the internet loudmouths instead of looking at simple reality.
Old 05-20-2008 | 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

You must not've ever seen a properly geared, properly tuned car if you think that you'll EVER be racing from 2000rpm. Where would you even get such a crazy idea? And why would a car sputter below 4k RPM? It's not even making sense. It's like you are listening to the internet loudmouths instead of looking at simple reality.
Does this really deserve an answer...... And yes, I've definetly seen a properly tuned and geared car....every time I step in my Z28
Old 05-20-2008 | 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

So why are you seeing cars "sputtering" below 4k? Why are you hitting 2k rpm instead of shifting? Yes, you can shift on the street. It's possible, and SMART to do that. I just have no idea where people are coming up with this crazy "street car" idea that somehow they can't shift gears.

And why buy a Slowbra? A blown V8 running high 11's and low 12's? Um, that's embarassing and we all know that on this board.
Old 05-20-2008 | 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

So why are you seeing cars "sputtering" below 4k? Why are you hitting 2k rpm instead of shifting? Yes, you can shift on the street. It's possible, and SMART to do that. I just have no idea where people are coming up with this crazy "street car" idea that somehow they can't shift gears.

And why buy a Slowbra? A blown V8 running high 11's and low 12's? Um, that's embarassing and we all know that on this board.
Actually you took my origonal post out of context. Throw in the "max HP, donkey-dicked cam, sputters under 4KRPM, track only FI car" if you want to make smart-assed statements. What I said was for street driving (which is normally the 1500-4000RPM range), the Magnacharger is an excellent system.

If people have a hard on for making power at the redline, super. But is it really streetable to be running the car at redline? That's the point, and why I gave you the

As for "Slowbras...", I don't even care for them. My dad has one...and it runs LOW 11's. As for me, have a turbo. Need to run it at high RPM for max power. Great for the street.....no. Fun, yes. Practical daily driver....not really. Get my point........

Finally, back to your post that I've never seena properly tuned or geared car. Built and tuned my own car. Dyno-verified at Va Speed that it is a good tune. Can you say that?
Old 05-20-2008 | 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Nope, I don't do the tuning myself. I do the rest, and help with the tuning. Other than the dyno numbers, since we're not ricers, what kind of track times does it run? After all, that's the bottom line.

I guess you don't run your car as high as most people I know when racing on the street. My apologies.
Old 05-20-2008 | 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Nope, I don't do the tuning myself. I do the rest, and help with the tuning. Other than the dyno numbers, since we're not ricers, what kind of track times does it run? After all, that's the bottom line.

I guess you don't run your car as high as most people I know when racing on the street. My apologies.
That's cool. That was my point...for street driving the Magnacharger does sound appealing. Torque off-idle and in the low RPM range. Pretty cool.

Times for my car..... honestly I don't know on the current combo. I have a 9" rear sitting in the showroom at Va Speed that I need to pick up in the next couple weeks (paid for already, but I'm out of town at the moment). When I get it installed, guessing the 11's. Not 10's I know, but I'm only pushing 5PSI....so gotta take what I can get

Last edited by Schantin; 05-20-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2008 | 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

magnachargers are set it and forget it. little to no maintenance.
Old 05-21-2008 | 01:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wildta

warren
The 122 can be made to fit. It's 3/4" longer in the rear.
Old 05-24-2008 | 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by yotaman96
The 122 can be made to fit. It's 3/4" longer in the rear.
wonder why ED hasn't said anything about it. i know he's busy but maybe make a post stating that the mp122 is an option but requires lil more cutting. or something.

Quick Reply: Opinions on MagnaCharger?