Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Opinions on MagnaCharger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Opinions on MagnaCharger?

What are your opinions on MagnaCharger? To be used on a LQ4 swapped into a F-body.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like mine, I can't wait to see what it can do yet. A little bit of work to get it in, but it'll all be worth it when I get it tuned right.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nice set up! Let me know how it goes. How much were your ported 243's? How much was your cam?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

I love it. I orginally had bought a maggie for a good price for my C6 back in 06. I had less then 2000 miles on the car when I installed it. After that I was hooked. When it was time for another project I decided to buy a car just to do the maggie in a F Body. I have to sell it now for personal reasons but if and when I get another Vette or F Body its will have a maggie on it again. You gotta love that torque. I owned Prochargers before too on a previous vette I had (see web site www.badmonkeymotorsports.com) and even the setups being almost even (P1SC @10#'s and maggie at 9#'s the ATI just cannot hang torque wise. As a matter of fact my little P1 did not hit 400 ft lbs of torqe until almost 3800RPMS. I am hitting 400 at almost 2000 with teh maggie. Seat of teh pants feel is completely different. Do a search in the F/I section, there is a few of us on there. You can get more PEAK HP out of Prochargers, but the Maggie keeps up pretty good if you want to be in the 500-570 range. Here is a few video's for yea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4brxHNWdQE

The road started to end a little faster then I thought lol. Not many straight roads where I live You will notice my brakes work well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cyrWJ5B6Oc

Small punch on the bridge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvAkwZE2QgM

Simple driveby lol. Can you hear the blower?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY4qRAJG64I

Dyno Run (dyno numbers are with current mods and a rich AFR low 10's-11's)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBZI3RU09C8

This video is the first setup I had with it. It does not sound like that anymore I just added the vid so you can hear what it was with the heads, headers, cam and LMI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fAS1070FBY

And one on my C6 vette on the dyno too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjib7luyh3w
Old 04-04-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ Badass!!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BadMonkey
I love it. I orginally had bought a maggie for a good price for my C6 back in 06. I had less then 2000 miles on the car when I installed it. After that I was hooked. When it was time for another project I decided to buy a car just to do the maggie in a F Body. I have to sell it now for personal reasons but if and when I get another Vette or F Body its will have a maggie on it again. You gotta love that torque. I owned Prochargers before too on a previous vette I had (see web site www.badmonkeymotorsports.com) and even the setups being almost even (P1SC @10#'s and maggie at 9#'s the ATI just cannot hang torque wise. As a matter of fact my little P1 did not hit 400 ft lbs of torqe until almost 3800RPMS. I am hitting 400 at almost 2000 with teh maggie. Seat of teh pants feel is completely different. Do a search in the F/I section, there is a few of us on there. You can get more PEAK HP out of Prochargers, but the Maggie keeps up pretty good if you want to be in the 500-570 range. Here is a few video's for yea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4brxHNWdQE

The road started to end a little faster then I thought lol. Not many straight roads where I live You will notice my brakes work well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cyrWJ5B6Oc

Small punch on the bridge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvAkwZE2QgM

Simple driveby lol. Can you hear the blower?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY4qRAJG64I

Dyno Run (dyno numbers are with current mods and a rich AFR low 10's-11's)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBZI3RU09C8

This video is the first setup I had with it. It does not sound like that anymore I just added the vid so you can hear what it was with the heads, headers, cam and LMI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fAS1070FBY

And one on my C6 vette on the dyno too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjib7luyh3w
Thanks for the videos. I have several questions for you, if you don't mind. The cam sounds nice, what cam and heads did you run with the maggie? I will be more than happy with 500 rwhp, was that hard to hit? Was there any tunning issues? I was worried about clearance issues under the cowl, did you have to do anything special?

I am thinking about putting a maggie on a 6.0 LQ4. I am gonna swap the intake and cam for starters, not sure about the heads.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

That setup that hit over 500 is the exactly the same as Farmdawg there. I started my setup on the way home from Iraq, he started his just before he left. Getting that is not a big deal if you can get a good tuner and do not have minor issues due to other parts. If you check LM Speed's website it describes the kit and the price of it. You have to do a SD tune because there is no room for a MAF. You actually use a 3/4" spacer to raise the body up from the k member to help get clearance and then you have to cut a small piece out of the cowl to help with clearnace. Its not as bad as it sounds. And to squash any doubts on the raising of the K memeber, doing so DOES NOT effect the drivetrain, steering, or suspension compenants. The only thing that needs to be done or is effected is your alignment which can be corrected to GM Specs withot issue. All your suspension, steering and driveline parts are connected to the K member and it does not move. Alot of people seem to think it does when all you are doing is raising the body up from the k member, not lowering the k member. If you have any other questions feel free to ask myself and I will gladly volunteer Farmdawg too For anyother major questions give Ed a call at LM Speed about the kit and he can help.

Damon
Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

I will be tearing down the motor and rebuilding it. Should I go all forged bottom end (my goal is ~500 rwhp)? I know the compression ratio for the LQ4 is 9.41:1. Should I get dished pistons and lower it further? What cam/cam specs will work well with boost? I know the 317 heads have large combustion chambers, which I heard is good for boost, should I keep these heads, or get some p&p 243's or dart castings? Sorry for all the questions, I want to know all I can to make my build successful. Thanks for the help, its really appreciated.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nothing sounds better than a maggie, you can scare off those cobras with it
Old 04-05-2008, 03:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I will be tearing down the motor and rebuilding it. Should I go all forged bottom end (my goal is ~500 rwhp)? I know the compression ratio for the LQ4 is 9.41:1. Should I get dished pistons and lower it further? What cam/cam specs will work well with boost? I know the 317 heads have large combustion chambers, which I heard is good for boost, should I keep these heads, or get some p&p 243's or dart castings? Sorry for all the questions, I want to know all I can to make my build successful. Thanks for the help, its really appreciated.

I talked extensively with Ed from LM SPeed before I ordered the kit. He said that the maggie is happiest around 9.5 compression, so i would say that your 9.4 is good. I would recommend a forged short block, due to reliability with more than 7psi boost. 500rwhp is not that hard to get with the maggie. My cam is the SC-3 from Speed Inc, it's in the blower grind section on their site. I actually got my heads which are 243's from LM Speed. He gets them from Livernois and were machined to get 72cc combustion chambers, they were $1300 and with the numbers from Ed they appear to be Livernois Stage II heads. If you already have 317's I'd stick with them though. My cam was $400 or so. There are many good cams out there for boosted apps, just got to ask the right people. Most of the sponsors here have something for your needs all you gotta do is call and ask some ???'s. Comp Cams techline is a big help too. If you really want this kit, it takes some cutting of the cowl and welding a small 3"X11" or so patch, but it's not that complicated. Ed recommends dropping the motor to put the patch in, but I didn't, I just sat on the top of the motor and contorted myself enough to get it done. It would have been MUCH easier to do with the motor out, but it isn't a must. I used a skinny friend to weld so he could under the cowl easier than my fat self. I am still trying to get my tune tweaked right, but it's fun. Running about 60 on the freeway and stomping the pedal to get the boost in and just spinning the rear tires is quite different from what I'm used to. The whine is awesome.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:39 AM
On The Tree

i really want one of these kits myself and i had a emailed them the other day about bigger motors and if it would work with them. They stated that the Magna will max out at 10 PSI with the m112 and not feed bigger displacment motors i was asking about a 408 though. but if i wanted to go with a bigger motor they could probably get a Harrop 122 to work. but would cost more

Last edited by discostu; 04-05-2008 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Magna charger has its cool factor. But IMHO the gains you get are neglagable compared to a procharger setup. The Maggie sounds mean and you will scare off alot of people. I would rather be able to beat them. Go ProCharger for FTMFW!!

Maggie C5 ZO6 full bolt ons VS my 408 SS NA.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/m...-408_33888.htm

I lost to a procharger setup on a ZO6.

Last edited by CuNfUzEd; 04-05-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Were is your proof on the neglagable power difference? Peak HP or power under the curve? When was the last time you saw a Procharger get over 400 RWTQ at 2000 RPM's with a 346 at 10#'s of boost? So you have owned both blowers and can say for certain one is better then the other. After its all said and done mod for mod and money wise I made less power with my P1SC at 10-11lbs then my current maggie. Its opinion based really as to what is better. Anyone can spend the money to make one work over the next. MP112 will start to loose efficiany after 10#'s. Which no one has yet to max out a Maggie from what I have seen yet. I take that back, the maggie has been maxed but the setups have yet to max out. There is a guy running a maggie with h/c making 570RWHP with 8 lbs of boost. Its not the best, but its not an easy target on the street.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Beacause a procharger can make 700-800 RWHP. Can't do that with a Maggie. And the 2000 rpm TQ does no good in a race because you don't run the motor at that rpm. Maggies are fun for the street. But not the best choice if you want to win races. I have a Maggie and really like it. But I am not serious into racing, so it works just fine for me. It all depends on your goal. IF 500 RWHP is all you will ever want (like me), then they work great with awesome low end TQ which is fun on the street.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
The Maggie works best with about 10.5:1
Old 04-08-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Red99C5
Beacause a procharger can make 700-800 RWHP. Can't do that with a Maggie. And the 2000 rpm TQ does no good in a race because you don't run the motor at that rpm. Maggies are fun for the street. But not the best choice if you want to win races. I have a Maggie and really like it. But I am not serious into racing, so it works just fine for me. It all depends on your goal. IF 500 RWHP is all you will ever want (like me), then they work great with awesome low end TQ which is fun on the street.
Well said.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Well said? How is that?

Yea magnacharger does not make a blower that makes 700-800
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...YNO_154043.htm

Funny that looks like a magnacharger to me. My reference to 400RWTQ down low is more of an example of how there is power under the curve. IF you want to wait for boost fine. At the track anyone who is not supporting thier setups with a proper suspension wasted alot of money. No fun watching cars create smoke. Last race I did having that power under the curve helps during shifts, and helps load stalls. There is alot more to it of course and more info up for debate but to say the power under the curve is not needed, well that is for the individual to decide. No right or wrong answer really.

Last edited by bd mnky; 04-08-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Beacause a procharger can make 700-800 RWHP. Can't do that with a Maggie. And the 2000 rpm TQ does no good in a race because you don't run the motor at that rpm.
We are all now dumber for having read this.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Launching!

The Maggie works best with about 10.5:1
Huh?!! I talked with Ed (LM Speed) about what I wanted to do and he advised me that they work best on 9.5. bigger combustion chambers, and thick gaskets are what I used to help drop mine.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this talk is nice but let's lay it out there:

Badmonkey, Farmdawg: what track times did your cars run with the Maggie?

I'd love to know, because I'm considering a maggie setup just because nobody around me has done one. But I'm sure it won't feed my 408.

Quick Reply: Opinions on MagnaCharger?