Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

7/29.03 - Pics of Vortech YS Trim mounted on 348ci LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: YS Trim Pictures --->

john, what will that innercooler support, I wil be buying it if I can use it so let me know. Ill just buy yoiurs.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSJ sure talks a l ot of trash for having a car on jackstands doesnt he?

Old 07-30-2003, 10:23 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

The one in the picture Scott, is the CAS one, and it will support 20 lbs of boost. If you want it I'll sell it for exactly what I have into it, and you can always upgrade later since you will be using 3" inlet/outlets on all intercoolers.

Old 07-30-2003, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

PSJ----

i moved sucka and besides, the apt building i lived in didn't have a garage i could use so it wasn't there! nanny nanny poopoo. No problem that i'm on your list...when ever i get this take fever ridden illness to go away i'll get to finishing up my STREET CAR and we'll have some fun at the track

Brick----

I have found out that there has been one serious LS1 turbo buildup. Suprisingly it was a couple years ago. It had carillo rods, stock block, LS1 heads, and a Y2K Turbonetics 80mm turbo on it. It made a little over 1000hp on motor. According to the source it was either 1058 or 1085. He wasn't sure.

i asked him how they kept the heads on the motor back when they weren't even making studs yet and he said that it was a race team with an extremely large budget and they were using gasketlesss technology from the aussies. Kinda like what Mike Moran had on his quad turbo motor. They said the aluminum block didn't last too long KABOOM
Old 07-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Brick----

I have found out that there has been one serious LS1 turbo buildup. Suprisingly it was a couple years ago. It had carillo rods, stock block, LS1 heads, and a Y2K Turbonetics 80mm turbo on it. It made a little over 1000hp on motor. According to the source it was either 1058 or 1085. He wasn't sure.

i asked him how they kept the heads on the motor back when they weren't even making studs yet and he said that it was a race team with an extremely large budget and they were using gasketlesss technology from the aussies. Kinda like what Mike Moran had on his quad turbo motor. They said the aluminum block didn't last too long KABOOM
Hmmm, that's interesting.... I think the iron LS1 truck block would probably last at around the same power level, but if somebody had a very large bank account the right way to do it would be to use the C5R block (the one that sells for $6K).... C5R block, C5R heads, Billet steel crank, forged rods, forged pistons, custom solid roller cam, custom sheetmetal intake, Liquid intercooler, good aftermarket engine management system like a FAST or a Accel DFI Gen7, eight 160lb injectors, a big old Weldon fuel pump, a nice tranny like a Bruno and last but not least a big old single thumper turbo like a 101mm or even a 106mm! Put all of that (probably around 1800-2000hp) in a 2800-3000lb tube frame 4th gen F-body and go for the 6's

Anybody win the lottery yet?
Old 07-30-2003, 05:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Brick, add motor plates and a 4 link and you are describing a car that is coming together by a guy I know... except not a C5R block.

The LPE TT vette is a C5R turbo setup.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Brick, add motor plates and a 4 link and you are describing a car that is coming together by a guy I know... except not a C5R block.

The LPE TT vette is a C5R turbo setup.
Yeah he's probably using a Dart, Bowtie, or Rocket block....
There is a guy down here that I know of that is building an older Chevy II (Nova) with a twin turbo BBC to run in the NMCA Pro Outlaw class with all the big boys like Lawrence Conley.... He is supposed to have Job Spetter Jr come down here to help him tune the car (think he has a Motec) pretty soon last I heard....

The LPE TT Vette was pretty damn awesome for a street car running 8.90's @150+mph and it even had a 4l60e tranny as far as I know!

Hopefully somebody builds a serious C5R setup with a turbo or hell even with one of those big prochargers like an F3 or F4 model.... I know the fugger would fly if it was built right and it would be cool to see a 7 or 6 second Gen. III based SBC!

Somebody do it already
Old 07-30-2003, 07:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

No, the guy I know is building a 6.0 block based setup with C5R heads and a custom sheetmetal intake, I would call it an outlaw car.

The LPE Vette is very impressive it can be driven on the street but I'm not sure what gas it runs.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

No, the guy I know is building a 6.0 block based setup with C5R heads and a custom sheetmetal intake, I would call it an outlaw car.

The LPE Vette is very impressive it can be driven on the street but I'm not sure what gas it runs.
Oh okay I thought you wrote it didn't have C5R heads or the block.... That is something to talk about because it is an LS1 based motor with a serious single turbo setup.... I would like to see some pics or vids if any pop up so please keep us posted

I think I heard somewhere that the LPE TT Vette was using pump gas, but who knows..... It may have had some race gas or maybe a little mix of pump gas and race gas.... All I know is that thing ran 8.90's and it looked like all the other C5 Vettes around here!!! Talk about stealthy

I wonder if he brought it out on the street to make some money? If I had a sleeper that was that fast, I'd have a hard time not doing a little street racing for some money
Old 07-30-2003, 07:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I doubt that the LPE TT vette went 150mph on pump gas, but maybe Ed Potter can chime in.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

John Meaney made 1300hp on pump gas with his little TT 406ci SBC.... He ran a traction limited 11.11 @151+mph the first time out and got the boot for not having a 'chute (150mph NHRA rule).... I know I know it's a different motor (not an LS1) and it was pretty much built to make big power on pump gas, but hey it's still impressive! Meaney is da man! Here is the article from PHR...... http://www.erie.net/~gfalbert/johnm.htm
Old 07-30-2003, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

There will be a 88mm Turbo car out whenever i get in gear and get the rest of the parts in to fabricate the kit. I just gotta get my jig setup for the turbo header in duplicating. So hopefully later on this fall ill be under boost. I already have the base to start big boost on. Justin
Old 07-30-2003, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, that's interesting.... I think the iron LS1 truck block would probably last at around the same power level, but if somebody had a very large bank account the right way to do it would be to use the C5R block (the one that sells for $6K).... C5R block, C5R heads, Billet steel crank, forged rods, forged pistons, custom solid roller cam, custom sheetmetal intake, Liquid intercooler, good aftermarket engine management system like a FAST or a Accel DFI Gen7, eight 160lb injectors, a big old Weldon fuel pump, a nice tranny like a Bruno and last but not least a big old single thumper turbo like a 101mm or even a 106mm! Put all of that (probably around 1800-2000hp) in a 2800-3000lb tube frame 4th gen F-body and go for the 6's

Anybody win the lottery yet?
C5R blocks weren't readily available at the time the motor was built and there was hardly an aftermarket like there is now
Old 07-30-2003, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

John Meaney made 1300hp on pump gas with his little TT 406ci SBC.... He ran a traction limited 11.11 @151+mph the first time out and got the boot for not having a 'chute (150mph NHRA rule).... I know I know it's a different motor (not an LS1) and it was pretty much built to make big power on pump gas, but hey it's still impressive! Meaney is da man! Here is the article from PHR...... http://www.erie.net/~gfalbert/johnm.htm
actually he made that 1300hp on race gas...he made around 1175hp on pump gas.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

I was told by a guy that talks to Meaney that it made around 1300hp on pump gas, but maybe he heard wrong Either way making over 1000hp on pump gas is awesome, although, if I spent the big money to build a motor like that I doubt I would run it on the crappy 93 octane pump gas we got down here.... It's good to hear that there will be some LS1 based motors with serious turbo power coming out cause I'm tired of seeing all of these damn Mustangs going fast with turbos and not being able to say "we'll check out these turbo LS1 F-bodies running some good #'s".... Hopefully all of you guys building these big turbo LS1 F-bodies will post about them or better yet get them featured in GMHTP
Old 07-30-2003, 11:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The one in the picture Scott, is the CAS one, and it will support 20 lbs of boost. If you want it I'll sell it for exactly what I have into it, and you can always upgrade later since you will be using 3" inlet/outlets on all intercoolers.

I'm sorry, but you don't rate intercooler capacity on how much boost it will hold.. LOL
Old 07-31-2003, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree brady, I need something to support 1000 crank hp. Will that do it john? Ill call chris tomorrow and ask him.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Scott are your twins maxed out?

What PSI and power level does this happen at?
Old 07-31-2003, 02:56 AM
Launching!

I posted on www.turbomustangs.com and this guy told me about that car.He built it and we are talking about a set for my car.He told me the car went 8.91 in Mexico City and put down 1085rwhp

Brick----

Old 07-31-2003, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

[quote]
I posted on www.turbomustangs.com and this guy told me about that car.He built it and we are talking about a set for my car.He told me the car went 8.91 in Mexico City and put down 1085rwhp

no he said FLYWHEEL HP not REAR WHEEL, big diff

Quick Reply: 7/29.03 - Pics of Vortech YS Trim mounted on 348ci LS1