Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS 427 twin turbo system - $6695 introductory offer inc door to door delivery

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man....i'd buy this kit if it wouldn't ruin my chances of building the motor to put it on
Old 05-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

Im very interested in this kit. However for the moment being, i have a 350 LS1 that came in the car. Engine has Cam, Forged Pistons, heads, rods. Will me engine Hold that Turbo, or do i need to buy a motor first? Please PM me and let me know. If mine will hold the power i will probably order one very soon. Thanks, Scott
Old 05-07-2008, 11:24 AM
9 Second Club

I still waiting on the upgrade price for my current weaksauce kit. Please let me know something Peter! Im about to change wastegate springs and dont feel like doing this twice!
Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jm I am still curious why you feel the kit is maxed at 12.5? Did you take a backpressure reading or something? Factory turbos are sized small with lots of backpressure and generally no harmful effects except for power being limited up high and max power output being lower. Do you think they would blow gaskets from backpressure or that you would just not make anymore power?

It would be interesting to see if you could feed say 15psi thru and get 800rwhp but the intake tubes might collapse anyway. And guess you didn't get new tubes yet.And then there is the gate issue not letting you go higher anyway. Wonder how high the 10psi base springs would let a guy go..another 5psi over.

I emailed Peter about the intake tubes, speed density tube and about if the APS fuel system was in stock .He said was busy last week and would get back to me this week.
My install should not be that far away and trying to get this stuff figured out.

I will possibly try to push the turbos to 15psi on my setup which is pretty similar to yours. My goals are same as always hoping for 800rwhp on auto and 850rwhp if stay m6. Not sure how much hp my planned dana 60 will eat up either. Not going to totally cray if can't hit the numbers.Have zex wet shot or might go direct port since have fast intake. Can always run 100hp of spray on top. Advantages being faster spool with the smaller turbos in daily driving,pretty much instant spool up on nitrous and found on the dsm cars anyway that the nitrous seems to have a magnified effect on turbo cars. So a 50 shot might actually give more like 75 hp gain.

I am not trying to build a race car,just a fast as f@@k street car and your numbers give me hope that will easily obtain that goal.

Does seem that APS is busy doing a bit too much at once like bringing out new g8 kits an all that and maybe not taking quite enough time to make sure the existing kits are
100% taken care off. The better intake tubes on the standard kit is one example.
I still think could McGuyver something myself but shouldn't really have too.

You are frustrated waiting on the upgraded turbos and stuff. I am frustrated waiting on the new engine so can start my install. At least you can drive your wicked "9 second" weaksauce car. I think that it might be a bit weak for a race car but that is still one hella of a fast street machine. Unless you like seeing the inside of jail a lot! Keep the shiny side up JM! Currently you are one of the APS f body pioneers. Seeing a few more kits getting finished up so maybe have some more data shortly.

I would like some absolute definitive data oon the max output of these small ones on the 408. That would let me decide to maybe trade up before mine are run on the car although think the standard ones are still plenty and I am just starting to be a bit crazy here, a drawback of being an old speed freak.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you think they can put out more power?I'm looking for 1200-1400rwhp for my race car and this should fit the engine bay no problem.Probly better than the single 91-101mm I was planning.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Do you think they can put out more power?I'm looking for 1200-1400rwhp for my race car and this should fit the engine bay no problem.Probly better than the single 91-101mm I was planning.
I bet if you could get a large enough turbo on each side it would work
Old 05-07-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you can go any bigger on the turbos at their given location this is as big as it will ever get without new manifolds.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Well the bigger 427 kit should be good for about 1300 engine hp give or take a bit. And you can always spray on top for more power. Ditto if the smaller ones are good for 1000 hp engine then spray another 100 or more on top of that if needed. Nitrous and turbos play very well together on a properly built engine. And yeah the location of these makes going much bigger likely not to doable. But guys building race cars should likely have them up top and don't need things like air conditioning that street car guys like to have.

And really can't see any point to any street car having more than 1000 hp. Many people would think past 500 engine hp is already crazy enough. I am still waiting for our government up here to put start giving out tickets by gps or put 100km speed limiters on our cars !

Seems every time a stupid Fast and Furious movie comes out they crank on all sorts of fines and laws for street racing.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
But guys building race cars should likely have them up top and don't need things like air conditioning that street car guys like to have.
Does the APS F-Body TT kit allow you to keep A/C? I see on their site the pictures of their Camaro show the top A/C components on the car, but I read the whole thing they never say yes or no for A/C retention.

Whats the max nitrous blast you could go with a set-up using the larger turbos? Figuring a fully built iron LSX 427ci.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do allow you to keep the a/c. There is no positive reason to keep the turbos up high other than easier gravity drain on the oil lines oh and for the bling factor. It is actually better to have the turbos mounted down low out of the engine bay to keep the heat out of the engine bay.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Keeping the ac was one big sellling feature of the aps kit and since my car is 99% street car. And some advantages as was mentioned to having them where they are but tightening lines and changing springs in the gates can be not that easy especially with autos.
There is no reason you could not run very big nitrous shots on a full forged up motor. 150 would be nothing ,200 or 300 should be fine. I have no intention of ever running that big a shot. But as said the shot tends to be magnfied in the amount of power you get on turboed cars. Assume same effect on supercharged cars as well.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 AM
9 Second Club

Come on Peter! Let me know something!
Old 05-08-2008, 09:12 AM
9 Second Club

Jm I am still curious why you feel the kit is maxed at 12.5? Did you take a backpressure reading or something? Factory turbos are sized small with lots of backpressure and generally no harmful effects except for power being limited up high and max power output being lower. Do you think they would blow gaskets from backpressure or that you would just not make anymore power?

It would be interesting to see if you could feed say 15psi thru and get 800rwhp but the intake tubes might collapse anyway. And guess you didn't get new tubes yet.And then there is the gate issue not letting you go higher anyway. Wonder how high the 10psi base springs would let a guy go..another 5psi over.

I emailed Peter about the intake tubes, speed density tube and about if the APS fuel system was in stock .He said was busy last week and would get back to me this week.
My install should not be that far away and trying to get this stuff figured out.

I will possibly try to push the turbos to 15psi on my setup which is pretty similar to yours. My goals are same as always hoping for 800rwhp on auto and 850rwhp if stay m6. Not sure how much hp my planned dana 60 will eat up either. Not going to totally cray if can't hit the numbers.Have zex wet shot or might go direct port since have fast intake. Can always run 100hp of spray on top. Advantages being faster spool with the smaller turbos in daily driving,pretty much instant spool up on nitrous and found on the dsm cars anyway that the nitrous seems to have a magnified effect on turbo cars. So a 50 shot might actually give more like 75 hp gain.

I am not trying to build a race car,just a fast as f@@k street car and your numbers give me hope that will easily obtain that goal.

Does seem that APS is busy doing a bit too much at once like bringing out new g8 kits an all that and maybe not taking quite enough time to make sure the existing kits are
100% taken care off. The better intake tubes on the standard kit is one example.
I still think could McGuyver something myself but shouldn't really have too.

You are frustrated waiting on the upgraded turbos and stuff. I am frustrated waiting on the new engine so can start my install. At least you can drive your wicked "9 second" weaksauce car. I think that it might be a bit weak for a race car but that is still one hella of a fast street machine. Unless you like seeing the inside of jail a lot! Keep the shiny side up JM! Currently you are one of the APS f body pioneers. Seeing a few more kits getting finished up so maybe have some more data shortly.

I would like some absolute definitive data oon the max output of these small ones on the 408. That would let me decide to maybe trade up before mine are run on the car although think the standard ones are still plenty and I am just starting to be a bit crazy here, a drawback of being an old speed freak.
I want upgrades. Nothing else to really say about it If there is an upgrade and I am pulling the system off for wastegate spring changes then why not upgrade????? Its not like Ill have this kit more than a year anyway. I change setups like underwear
Old 05-08-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Might be a dumb question...but what happens if you drive through a puddle and water splashes onto a very hot turbo?

I;'m not saying driving in the rain...just a puddle. Although there would be absolutely no problem in driving in heavy rain as long as you drive normal. So....yeah, what about driving in heavy rain and getting the hot turbos wet for a prolonged time?
Old 05-08-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Turbos don't get hurt by rain or snow or whatever. There are zillions of factory cars that are turboed driving around 24/7. If you sink the car deep enough to maybe ingest tons of water into the engine you could hydrolock and have problems.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Seems every time a stupid Fast and Furious movie comes out they crank on all sorts of fines and laws for street racing.[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 AM
9 Second Club

Still no reply huh Peter
Old 05-16-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Peter has not got back to me on ordering the aps fuel system for my car either. Maybe he is on vacation JM?
Old 05-16-2008, 01:02 AM
9 Second Club

Peter has not got back to me on ordering the aps fuel system for my car either. Maybe he is on vacation JM?
I dont think they have time for us right now. No big deal but Ive got the itch!
Old 05-16-2008, 05:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
I want upgrades. Nothing else to really say about it If there is an upgrade and I am pulling the system off for wastegate spring changes then why not upgrade????? Its not like Ill have this kit more than a year anyway. I change setups like underwear
Why are you changing wastegate springs? Still having problems with your boost controller? FYI, I've got the ams-500 on my APS system and it seems to be working great. Wish I could say the same for the intake ducts. They collapsed on my setup at around 12-13 psi. I took my car to the track with the intake ducts removed and was able to turn it up to about 15psi with no problems.

Quick Reply: APS 427 twin turbo system - $6695 introductory offer inc door to door delivery