Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boosting a LS1. Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosting a LS1. Questions

As some of you know, I have a 1991 Camaro RS with a LS1/T56 swapped in. For those of you that dont know, this is the car

And this is the motor

Anyways, I have a few ideas running through my mind.

1. Put the Camaro project on hold, buy an Audi TT and use it as a winter car

2. Put the Camaro project on hold, buy a right hand drive Mazda RX7 FD and play with that a bit

3. Boost the Camaro and buy a cheap winter car

My question is what do people think I should do? I know that this is a Camaro board so I will assume most people will bash import vehicles and tell me to boost the Camaro.

Now, if I choose to boost the Camaro, what direction do I go? My best friend who doubles as my mechanic suggests I should go supercharged since a muscle car deserves a good supercharger. Would this be my best bet? Should I go turbo? Procharged?

Does anyone make a kit that is easily adaptable to the third gen LS1 platform? I would prefer to not go with a rear mount turbo. I sort of think the idea is stupid. No offense to anyone here who has it...

What sort of costs am I looking at? Can it be done with the stock flat RS hood? I want to keep appearance of the car as stock as possible...

Could I do something like this?

What am I looking at in this picture?

Thanks a lot for the info in advance. I know I asked a lot of questions here and it might be a bit confusing. I appreciate your answers

Last edited by kubus_stroinski; 04-08-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 AM
On The Tree

I have had a few rx7's and have been into them for 9 years now so I know what they are capable of. They're a lot of fun and really arent that expensive, and aftermarket support is huge. Stock engine systems are not fun to work on but once you start removing the BS they're quite enjoyable to work on.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

I'd supercharge the 3rd gen, which looks great btw. I'm not real sure which set up would be vehicle specific for you though. I'm sure Vortech or procharger....they have the largest variety and have been proven time and again over the years. Most on here will say procharger however, it's up to you. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Any other ideas. I had someone tell me to contact Stenod Performance. I emailed them yesterday and hopefully they have some good information for me on the lines of setting me up with a good big single turbo kit
Old 04-10-2008, 11:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Audi TTs are gay as hell. Buy a cheap winter beater and mod the camaro til your pockets run dry.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How deep are your pockets?

If you want to run a magnacharger (looks like one in the pic) there is some info in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/898545-magnacharger-kit-who-s-done-how-much-time.html

I think LM Speed offers the kit.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ninetres
Audi TTs are gay as hell. Buy a cheap winter beater and mod the camaro til your pockets run dry.
Thank you. What an excellent answer... Not

I'll make the Camaro quick but its not worth throwing all of my money at forever. I will eventually need to get a more correct car because no offense, Camaro's dont really get too much respect where Im from... I bought the car when I was 16 and poured all of my money into it. I'll finish it to a point (boost and interior) and then I will put it aside and buy a better car (probably something German or Japanese) and enjoy myself

Originally Posted by Pat-Man
How deep are your pockets?

If you want to run a magnacharger (looks like one in the pic) there is some info in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898545

I think LM Speed offers the kit.
Thanks for your answer. I'll also look into this. That SC looks pretty good.

Im trying to think what will be the most cost effective route. I understand everything is going to be expensive and I would probably prefer to give my car to a shop for a few weeks to get it done correctly than to hack something together in my garage. Anyone know of any shops in my area besides Stenod Performance? And price range I should be looking at? Im thinking 5 to 8 k for a correct setup?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Camaro doesn't get much respect where you are from? Sucks that you really care what anyone else thinks about what you drive.

Anywho...a good estimate would be 5 - 8K for a FI setup. I always see turbos being for expensive. Of course, any FI setup is expensive. Reason I asked how deep your pockets are. Just as soon as you get it to your "goal" you'll want it much faster. Before you know it you'll be running 20 pounds of boost and leaving parts all over the street.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well the boosted Camaro is great idea. I have a 87 IROC with a LS1 and a turbo. I think you will enjoy a boosted camaro more than the Audi or a RX7. If you haven't noticed most guys with RX7 have stuffed an LS1 in them. I'm not sure why a swapped camaro would get no respect but then again when I hammer a vette or some silly import with 30 pounds of boost they always seem to be interested in what my car has. If you go the Forced Induction route either it be SC or Turbo make sure you talk to a shop or company that knows this will be a custom setup. Although we share some qualitys with 4th gens are engine bays are alot diffrent. If you and your buddies have some fab skills a truck manifold turbo or twin turbo would be sweet (the route i will eventually go). Or you could always slap an STS kit on there and call it a day but there are probably better routes. Hope this helps a little.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by grifter757
Well the boosted Camaro is great idea. I have a 87 IROC with a LS1 and a turbo. I think you will enjoy a boosted camaro more than the Audi or a RX7. If you haven't noticed most guys with RX7 have stuffed an LS1 in them. I'm not sure why a swapped camaro would get no respect but then again when I hammer a vette or some silly import with 30 pounds of boost they always seem to be interested in what my car has. If you go the Forced Induction route either it be SC or Turbo make sure you talk to a shop or company that knows this will be a custom setup. Although we share some qualitys with 4th gens are engine bays are alot diffrent. If you and your buddies have some fab skills a truck manifold turbo or twin turbo would be sweet (the route i will eventually go). Or you could always slap an STS kit on there and call it a day but there are probably better routes. Hope this helps a little.
Thanks. How do you set up your turbo? Or are you doing the rear mount turbo?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i vote for a cheap beater, and throw money at the camaro when you have it..

If you really care that much about what you drive you might find yourself in a tt, but i personally dont care about my daily driver, but its still a decent car. Id rather dump 10k in my ta before i replaced my acura cl with a newer dd.

I dont know how much room you have for a turbo kit, but talk to sponsers.. Josh @ kytp, ofi, maybe speed inc, see what someone can throw together for you. If you go procharger, im sure bob @ epp would have some input, or you could measure hood clearance, and look into twin screws...

Chris
Old 04-11-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

A Kenny Bell can fit on our cars with little clearance issues seens it on a 92 Formula. I currently have a STS kit on my car and with my 91 Z I'm currently swapping an LS1 into I will be working on fabbing up some Twin Turbo's. The only thing I've run into so far is possible moving the radiator to get a little mor room but we will have to see.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also check out Sideways build on here for his TA. Gave me alot of ideas and insite on my nuild.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replied to your PM.

Kyle

Quick Reply: Boosting a LS1. Questions