Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo sizing,backpressure explained

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple inches away is ok, weld on a npt bung and run a couple feet of copper tubing, then you can go to silicone or nylon for the run to the boost/air pressure gauge.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:14 PM
How do I change this text

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thread from the dead again, but why would it matter where the gauge is mounted? Take my STS truck for example. I have a back pressure gauge mounted in the rear 02 sensor port, why would it read any differently if it were closer to the turbo?
Old 12-28-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great read.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does intercooler affect exhaust backpressure too? If I have very small restrictive turbo, will better intercooler help with backpressure and power?
Old 04-17-2015, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vetal
Does intercooler affect exhaust backpressure too? If I have very small restrictive turbo, will better intercooler help with backpressure and power?
Oddly enough, adding an intercooler when you don't have one will not lower exhaust pressure, but upgrading to a less restrictive intercooler will lower exhaust pressure.

Edit: Now that I think of it, a 0-restriction intercooler will actually add a tiny bit of exhaust pressure due to increased mass flow through the compressor and the corresponding drive pressure needed by the turbine.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

On the other hand, it would require less drive pressure if pushing same amount of air requires less work for compressor, right?
Old 04-25-2015, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vetal
On the other hand, it would require less drive pressure if pushing same amount of air requires less work for compressor, right?
If it's the same amount of air at the same boost pressure, then it's the same drive pressure. However, adding an intercooler adds restriction to the cold side and also increases air mass flow rate, both of which increase compressor required hp and, thus, exhaust drive pressure.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by engineermike
If it's the same amount of air at the same boost pressure, then it's the same drive pressure. However, adding an intercooler adds restriction to the cold side and also increases air mass flow rate, both of which increase compressor required hp and, thus, exhaust drive pressure.
I was talking about switching to less restrictive intercooler, that should in theory lessen drive pressure for the same HP
Old 04-26-2015, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

True, but less drive pressure does result in more hp for the same boost.

Oddly enough, something like a maf delete or bigger throttle body actually helps power on a turbo car by lowering drive pressure. It's counterintuitive but the end result is still more power. It works different on a supercharged or na engine.

Quick Reply: Turbo sizing,backpressure explained