Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Questions about STS

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yahelou
so which one of the lines from the tb do i T the bov into?
? ? ?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Why not just go buy the right size t from lowes or home depot and just tie it into the brake booster vac line? It makes for a smaller vac hose off the BOV. My hose from my BOV was always cracking and spliting. It makes less hose to have to buy if it does it to you too. Other than that I have no idea which one to t into on the throttle body, honestly I haven't even heard of anybody doing that. But, I have now.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00WS6WHITE
Why not just go buy the right size t from lowes or home depot and just tie it into the brake booster vac line? It makes for a smaller vac hose off the BOV. My hose from my BOV was always cracking and spliting. It makes less hose to have to buy if it does it to you too. Other than that I have no idea which one to t into on the throttle body, honestly I haven't even heard of anybody doing that. But, I have now.
u got a good point. i was actually thinkin the same way, with the line being shorter. and there is only one line, so i cant screw it up. thanks for the help man.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yahelou
so which one of the lines from the tb do i T the bov into?
Here's a pic

Old 05-13-2008, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm, one problem is you should not have any lines running off the throttle body into the valve covers or whatever that do not have check valves on them.

With a turbo or any boosted application the TB goes from having vacuum to having boost. If any hoses are connected directly to the motor like in an NA application you will now send the boost to the TB into the motor WHICH IS BAD.

That is a whole different problem though. Any line off the TB or intake will provide the correct info for a BOV. But you cannot have a line from the TB to the valve cover without having a check valve on a boosted motor or else you will be sending air from the turbo into the crankcase of the motor. The Brake booster must have a check valve also.

Hope that helps you understand.

PS. and SCH all I see is a red x
Old 05-13-2008, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacksi
Hmmm, one problem is you should not have any lines running off the throttle body into the valve covers or whatever that do not have check valves on them.

With a turbo or any boosted application the TB goes from having vacuum to having boost. If any hoses are connected directly to the motor like in an NA application you will now send the boost to the TB into the motor WHICH IS BAD.

That is a whole different problem though. Any line off the TB or intake will provide the correct info for a BOV. But you cannot have a line from the TB to the valve cover without having a check valve on a boosted motor or else you will be sending air from the turbo into the crankcase of the motor. The Brake booster must have a check valve also.

Hope that helps you understand.

PS. and SCH all I see is a red x
Got me wondering....so I went outside and looked under the hood. The line I have referenced from the throttle body goes to my wastegate, BOV, and boost gauge. That's it. Doesn't go anywhere else. It's been a couple years since I installed everything Think on a stock throttle body the vacuum port might have a cap on it.

You do bring up a good point about not boosting the crankcase though! Either way....I'm good BTW....don't know why you can't see the pic. It's an imageshack hosting.......
Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Must have been my router sucking out cuz now I see it. Yeah wastegate, bov, FPR and boost gage need to see the complete spectrum. On the passenger side of your TB there should be an outlet that is pluged or has a check valve inline.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, my tb isnt stock, it is a bbk 80mm. thanks alot for all the info. where can i pick up a check valve from? and when i got everything hooked up, how do i know if everything is running right?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your local auto parts should have a display with generic one-way or check valves. Just have a piece of the line with you so you can match sizes.

Quick Reply: Questions about STS