Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I want a LOUD FI setup (blower whine/turbo whistle)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003 | 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: I want a LOUD FI setup (blower whine/turbo whistle)

You guys run close to the same #'s as H/C cars with 300 lbs more weight.

Nope. Streetable head/cam setups MAY get low 400 RWHP. With stock motor, I was at 486 RWHP / 487 RWTQ. I know guys with stock engines and M6 trannies getting over 500 RWHP out of their ATI Stage II kits.

The only stock NA setups that can drive on the street that I know of and running as fast or faster than me are spraying or have 1000lbs. LESS weight than me.
Nine Ball ran a 10.67 @ 128mph with a N/A 434, and this was with a full weight car. You have a BLOWN 422 and are still slower then he was...

Oh and most "streetable" H/C setups I've seen are making 420-460rwhp. So what are you talking about?
Old 08-10-2003 | 01:13 AM
Teching In

You liked the sound of the ATI at idle? Mine sounds really bad at idle(like a Cement Truck), but smooths out when spinning up. I have yet to hear anybody saying otherwise till now..
Old 08-11-2003 | 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

You liked the sound of the ATI at idle? Mine sounds really bad at idle(like a Cement Truck), but smooths out when spinning up. I have yet to hear anybody saying otherwise till now..
The main reason I like it is because I can actually hear it. I haven't beard enough blowers to really judge which sounds good. I judge the audbility of it.

From the way this post is going, I take it I'm either going to have to get a big turbo(s) or a big (F1) S/C. Sound about right?
Old 08-12-2003 | 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

People in front me tell me they hear the blower, people behind me tell me they hear the exhaust. But when I bust that surge valve open after 5 or 6 lbs. of boost, jaws just drop Myself included. That is the coolest sound ever!

This truck next to me asked me to do a quick blast so he could hear, which I oblieged and then turned into a gas station to fill up. Next thing I know two S/Ced foxes pull in cause they heard me. And my exhaust is loud as hell(LTs and cutout)! So even though inside the car I don't hear the blower so well when I get on it, people outside say they hear it well. Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 08-12-2003 | 01:08 AM
Launching!

I've noticed that the more boost I run the louder the whine gets. My D-1SC whines loud enough for me to hear it over my exhaust with the 3.85 pulley. My cars pretty damn loud too.
Old 08-12-2003 | 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

I can hear my D-1SC at full boost over the exhaust when its closed, but if the cutout is open, thats a different story...
Old 08-12-2003 | 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just buy one of those fritzed out dogs and put it in the passenger seat and hook a dog whistle up to the blow off valve. :p
Old 08-12-2003 | 10:56 AM
20 Year Member

Nine Ball ran a 10.67 @ 128mph with a N/A 434, and this was with a full weight car. You have a BLOWN 422 and are still slower then he was...

Oh and most "streetable" H/C setups I've seen are making 420-460rwhp. So what are you talking about?
Since this guy is talking about just putting on a supercharger and not starting with a big cube motor, that was the position I was arguing. It IS true a big cube motor will suck up a large cam sufficiently to make it streetable. But, I don't think that is the case with stock cubes.

Maybe I should clarify... a stock cube engine built heads / cam (in my experience) may make 400 RWHP. An FI stock motor should do more (even with the added weight of the SC kit). I thought anyone would realize that from the HP numbers I threw out.

Oh, and I don't see my 422 outperforming a big cube NA motor (which will have much higher compression and is optimized for NA) until I crank the boost. So far I'm only making 5 PSI to start and 7 or 8 PSI at peak RPMs. My motor is not optimized for peak power yet.

When will it be? When I can get enough money to properly feed it for higher boost and keep parts from breaking from the power/torque.
Old 08-12-2003 | 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Hey Mike, you're in EFA aren't you? You think we can meet up sometime so I can check out your setup in person? BTW, I'm Raptor on the EFA board.

Quick Reply: I want a LOUD FI setup (blower whine/turbo whistle)