Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Making 500rwhp+? Does your car scare you at all? Are you happy with the HP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry i'm not reading through all these posts but from your original post it sounds like you need a 500+ ci motor and a vasectomy.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oso SS
sorry i'm not reading through all these posts but from your original post it sounds like you need a 500+ ci motor and a vasectomy.
LMMFAO..... dont tell the wife.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 478 Likes on 336 Posts

I never really got bored with my bike, but i did get complacent. That changed one night when I was out playing and a crackhead stepped into the street right in front of me. This was topping out first gear in a CBR1100XX at around 80mph, which means the rear tire was spinning a little and the front tire was off the ground. The resulting attempt to maneuver around the idiot resulted in my sliding down a busy road on a black bike wearing black jeans and a black jacket at 2am. The bike is exciting again. I only hope my car remains boring at whatever power level it gets too (currently over 500rw).
Old 07-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Well, there is a reason for the class called Top Fuel... 8000hp, 4 sec 1/4s
These guys (and couple girls) were at one time brand new drivers having to learn to drive as kids, went faster, faster, faster... you get the idea.

No, you will never totally solve the need for speed addiction. Just be glad you are getting the taste that most will never know. Be careful though. You may THINK the car is slow or boring but in reality it AINT and even stock cars can bite you if you get too complacent.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went from a heads/cam/intake/converter/boltons A4 SS...to a cam/intake M6 Z28...to my current SS that has headers only. In the meantime I bought and sold an 02 GSXR 750 that made 124hp at the wheel....I seem to be going in the opposite direction....
Old 07-21-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 897 Likes on 639 Posts

I feel your pain like everyone else her. I suggest that you ride in your car and have someone else drive it. It is completely different in the passenger seat. Find someone you trust and have them beat on it. It won't satisfy your need to go faster but you might get that rush again for a moment.

Not being in control of the car has a lot to do with it. I drive a crown vic for 8 hours a day and it feels slow. When my partner drives I am telling him to slow down
Old 07-21-2008, 12:21 PM
11Second Club

I feel the OP's pain. My car runs 400RWHP cam only, and I'm planning on a D1-SC because reliability is very important to me. (It wasn't at first, but after all the problems I've had, it is now!) I drive my dad's 700-800HP Nova in a car club competition, and it feels pretty slow to me. How will the D1-SC ever compare?

I think it'll be a different story on the street, though. At least, I hope so.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Not being in control of the car has a lot to do with it. I drive a crown vic for 8 hours a day and it feels slow. When my partner drives I am telling him to slow down
I'm not a very good passenger either.. other people driving hard makes me nervous.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I feel your pain like everyone else her. I suggest that you ride in your car and have someone else drive it. It is completely different in the passenger seat. Find someone you trust and have them beat on it. It won't satisfy your need to go faster but you might get that rush again for a moment.

+1. I have ONE (repeat and only ONE) buddy i trust to drive my car. When i am in the passengers seat, and he shifts from 1st to 2nd It literally feels like we got rearended by an 18 wheeler.

When I drive it, I am in control, in the zone, and It is not nearly as scary. I took a chick for a ride the other day and she went nuts. Started grabbing door panels and... finally the shifter. Last time she gets a ride.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

When my partner drives I am telling him to slow down
I hope you mean "business partner".
Old 07-21-2008, 01:38 PM
11Second Club

Originally Posted by landonew
Crown Vic + "partner" = police officer.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 897 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by landonew

I guess I should have expected that one. LOL
Old 07-21-2008, 02:58 PM
9 Second Club

Yup... I know this feeling. Its the reason my GTO has turned into basically a full on race car that will get some street use. I keep wondering if 8.50s in the 1/4 mile will even satisfy me as I am sitting here thinking about starting a build on a Warhawk block so I can make more power... Worst part is I am not even driving my current setup which should be capable of 8.5s all day.

Where does it end!?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Teching In

I would say get a bike but i just beat a new R1 in my car a few months back.. and the bike did have mods...
Old 07-21-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TrakDay
Where does it end!?
$ I just try to be grateful I can play a little.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

I am hoping after I am used to my 650rwhp TT on stock block that the forged 408 on 18psi pushing 1000wrhp will be enough. Otherwise the nitrous is still hooked up, all I have to do is fill the bottle and run 250-300 shot on top. Issue there is with a GTO you can 't plant that power and have to upgrade the whole driveline and suspensions, mini tub etc. Looking at 10-15k for final product.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

The answer to all of your problems is to buy a dirtbike. Anyone can point a streetbike in a straight line and come up through the gears. But one a dirtbike you can always find a way to make yourself faster. If you aren't nervous anymore, your not going fast enough. There is always that "what if" thought in the back of your mind before you enter a turn in the woods at 50+. I have ridden on dirt for almost my entire life. I have an 05 ZX6-R, and the car in my sig. Sure the bike is quick, but its not the same as a fast car. Sure the car is quick, but it doesn't induce the imminent danger feeling that a bike does. A dirtbike on the other hand... It does both. You can always push it a little harder. It works for me. I love all three, but after almost 20 years I'm still not tired of dirt. I was used to driving the heads/cam LS1 in about 2-3 weeks. Cars are just too comfortable.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FMX05
Anyone can point a streetbike in a straight line and come up through the gears.
Thats why there are road courses out there. MOTO GP sound familiar?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Yeah... Im definitely going to run it down the track a bunch before I go bigger. Of course it feels a TON faster then when I had the cam and bolt ons.... and now with all the supporting stuff, 9"/3.70s, driveline, suspension, fuel.... I know ill be impressed when I go to the track. Horsepower (the dyno #s anyways) is definitely not my biggest goal... yeah the dyno sheets are neat, make nice garage wall hangers, and can be fun to brag about buuuuuuut I just want the scare back! Know what I mean? Theres been a couple times where at my current power I have slightly scared myself.... what a rush. Right now with the near bald BFG 315 DRs I can blow the hell out of 1st of course... 2nd is a little bit of a chore to keep straight but does hook half way through.... 3rd.... just hang on cause youre pinned.

My wife and I just went to dinner in the SS... she thinks its funny how when getting on the freeway I slow down to let the cars ahead get way up just so I can floor it getting on the freeway. Nothin' like getting on the freeway at 120mph on a nice long and straight on ramp.... and just FLYING by the cars you let get 1/4m in front of you on the ramp.

Anyways.... hopefully the magic # is somewhere in the 800 or so range... because thats where I think Im headed.

Its different for everyone, but at a point youll realize... ****, I cant hook in 4th (like me haha).

I went from 425rwhp to 845rwhp and 893rwhp on a retune. Like I mentioned before, Im able to floor it in 4th gear at 120mph and still go sideways so for the time being that will be enough power for me.

Long story short, I guess it depends on how you get your jollies off. if you can scare yourself enough by goin sideways in 2nd then 500rwhp should be enough, if you want 3rd, mid 6xx should be good and so on and so forth.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rufretic
I don't understand this addiction. Sure 680rwhp scared me alittle when I would punch it and start fish tailing at at 70+mph. I have a slow dd so it would always shock me every time I would take it out. But it doesn't matter, I still needed more so now my new build goal is around the 1000rwhp marker. It doesn't make sence, it was plenty fast at what it was before but I still needed more. I don't think it ends until you run out of money lol.
Thats the mother ******* truth right there... one of the reasons ill be posting my beast up for sale soon as I get the tranny back in.

Quick Reply: Making 500rwhp+? Does your car scare you at all? Are you happy with the HP?