Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Making 500rwhp+? Does your car scare you at all? Are you happy with the HP?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Making 500rwhp+? Does your car scare you at all? Are you happy with the HP?

Back up to day one when I first bought my SS.... the words that came out of my mouth were "this car is fast enough... badass, I dont need to mod this thing!"

Right?

Started small... tr224 cam, all the bolt ons, good tuning.... whalla... 12.2@116 399rwhp with a measly 1.8 60'. Soon after I thought there was something wrong with the car... nope... just got bored with 399rwhp.

Decided to skip the 400rwhp range... went straight to 560+ rwhp, and through a 9" to boot. DAMN... this bitch is FAST NOW!

Anyways... I have friends that go for a ride with me and they literally are shaking when they get out of the car... and Im practically yawning.

When does the addiction stop? When will I be satisfied? What is your car putting out and are you happy with it? I seriously think I have a immunity to HP.

My wife has given me permission to get a trailer and to get my hands on a race motor of my choice... the catch? Well.. she wants us to have a baby a couple years from now. Fair trade I suppose.

Should I go big... real big.. or off the charts? (1000+) I dont think I need 1000+..... but I do know if the jump from 399rwhp to 560rwhp isnt exciting enough then will 800rwhp do the trick?

/rant.

What hp is enough?

Last edited by Avengeance; 05-16-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol I hear this is what happens when you have a powerfull car.. I hope I can just get used to the stock ls1
Old 05-16-2008, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sciff5
Lol I hear this is what happens when you have a powerfull car.. I hope I can just get used to the stock ls1
Trust me bro... it will happen. Youll do the LID and free mods.... and then its all over.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was just talking to a buddy about this the other day. I went from my mid 14 second honda to a stock ta and was not going to do anything. Next thing you know it full exhaust and then a converter then nitrous lol. Now i am bored with my 402 on a 250 shot and my buddies built 929rr is getting boring as well. I would like to know the answer as well :-)
Old 05-16-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is wear im at you get use to it after a while. i know my car is fast and people get out of my car and do they same thing. to me it feels slow. now im making the jump from 500+ to 900rwhp i will get bored and then i will up the boost.

i do think its a fair trade. but then again i love kids.

in the end its up to you what you want. fast car and kids(seems fair). or slow car and know kids(shitty).
Old 05-16-2008, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

If you have a "street car", enough HP is when every time you hit the gas the car's all over the place and you're spending more time controlling it than driving it. I'm not there yet My dad's Cobra is getting there...... and I like driving mine more as a result.

HP is a disease...... and we're all infected
Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Back up to day one when I first bought my SS.... the words that came out of my mouth were "this car is fast enough... badass, I dont need to mod this thing!"

Right?

Started small... tr224 cam, all the bolt ons, good tuning.... whalla... 12.2@116 399rwhp with a measly 1.8 60'. Soon after I thought there was something wrong with the car... nope... just got bored with 399rwhp.

Decided to skip the 400rwhp range... went straight to 560+ rwhp, and through a 9" to boot. DAMN... this bitch is FAST NOW!

Anyways... I have friends that go for a ride with me and they literally are shaking when they get out of the car... and Im practically yawning.

When does the addiction stop? When will I be satisfied? What is your car putting out and are you happy with it? I seriously think I have a immunity to HP.

My wife has given me permission to get a trailer and to get my hands on a race motor of my choice... the catch? Well.. she wants us to have a baby a couple years from now. Fair trade I suppose.

Should I go big... real big.. or off the charts? (1000+) I dont think I need 1000+..... but I do know if the jump from 399rwhp to 560rwhp isnt exciting enough then will 800rwhp do the trick?

/rant.

What hp is enough?

I went from 550 RWHP with a 6 speed to 650 in a Auto and it is just a little scary right now, But 650 is at only 8.5 pounds of boost and I will just keep turning it up tomorrow at Rockingham.

Go big or go home
Old 05-16-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got bored with my Procharger and tired of dumping cash into it. Thats when I decided to jump to the sport bike side. Talk about quick...
Old 05-16-2008, 10:30 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well I will throw in my .02. I too said the a H/C set up would be plenty well it never even made it in the car LOL! I opted for a H/C and Vortech to 570rwhp and well that was good for a while definately drug a LOT of people. Got kinda boring and re-did a few things to the tune of 601rwhp on the blower and a little over 800 with a shot of gas. Very effective setup until I went lean burned a hole in a piston and decided to do a bigger and badder setup like everyone else LOL! The TT car is a beast, but I have been plagued with small issues and I am just now getting around to fixing them and can't think that it would be any faster than it was cause the numbers in the sig are a little out dated and was only on 15lbs. The black car well it was a long road on that bitch too, but have a very solid reliable car that is very fast and has everything A/C decent stereo etc... Is it fast enough to keep me satisfied???? Well lets just say I am not willing to drop any more coin for anything more on it as it is stupid fast at this point although I wouldn't mind going faster so it is really up to you when you stop LOL! Good luck on being satisfied although I think I am at the point of it is as good as it gets for the return on my money etc...
Old 05-16-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm praying my next setup will scare me. Shooting for 800-850rwhp on pump gas while being streetable. I just did a little quick figuring and I've already spent over 30k on mods

500+ was fun but didn't come close to scaring me. After I'm done with the car I'm going to get a 1000cc streetbike. Maybe that will do the trick. "I've owned two 600cc streetbikes and both were boring after a month or two."
Old 05-16-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

i think a twin turbo ls7 swap is completely necessary
Old 05-16-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

my car is the fastest thing i've ever been in, so i really dont know what it's like to be in a 500+hp car lol. i know mine is quick off the line but it is pretty boring sometimes. people tell me it's fast but i just shrug my shoulders and hammer on it some more.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think people get too caught up on HP #'s. You should go for a 1/4 time.

For me right now i should be running low 11's in Vegas. So mid/high 10's in cali. Thats fast enough for me right now. It wouldnt take much to go to mid 10's here. And im around 550HP turboed... mild h/c, intake, cooler, meth.

I know a turbo camaro, i think said we was 6-700... something like that but getting close to single digits, should be there with the new turbo.

Ive seen twin turbod GTO w/ 800hp run low 11's. Sounds like a waste to me... but some people just like to say "Its 800hp, TT'd" If thats what you want, go high HP. If you want to be fast... look into a more efficient use of the power and go for 1/4 times.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought 400+rwhp was pretty fast at a mid-high 11's. so did my buddies. well that lasted about a year until I see all these other f-body guys going twice that HP and all you can say is "that's ridiculous." as someone stated in this thread, enough power is where you can't control driving it. now I have a new car, completely different build going, shooting for a conservative 7 or 8 PSI on a forged 347... 500+ rwhp. don't need to turn up the boost anymore although the motor could handle it. the rest of my car will break.

also, I agree with the post above mine^. I've seen cars with 480rwhp run as fast as 600rwhp cars.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah... Im definitely going to run it down the track a bunch before I go bigger. Of course it feels a TON faster then when I had the cam and bolt ons.... and now with all the supporting stuff, 9"/3.70s, driveline, suspension, fuel.... I know ill be impressed when I go to the track. Horsepower (the dyno #s anyways) is definitely not my biggest goal... yeah the dyno sheets are neat, make nice garage wall hangers, and can be fun to brag about buuuuuuut I just want the scare back! Know what I mean? Theres been a couple times where at my current power I have slightly scared myself.... what a rush. Right now with the near bald BFG 315 DRs I can blow the hell out of 1st of course... 2nd is a little bit of a chore to keep straight but does hook half way through.... 3rd.... just hang on cause youre pinned.

My wife and I just went to dinner in the SS... she thinks its funny how when getting on the freeway I slow down to let the cars ahead get way up just so I can floor it getting on the freeway. Nothin' like getting on the freeway at 120mph on a nice long and straight on ramp.... and just FLYING by the cars you let get 1/4m in front of you on the ramp.

Anyways.... hopefully the magic # is somewhere in the 800 or so range... because thats where I think Im headed.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:37 AM
On The Tree

never enough hp. i have now made it up to 645 rwhp and i still think it is not fast enough. if you want to go fast get a bike.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Absolute powah corrupts absolutely.

Never, ever enough.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:43 AM
9 Second Club

I havn't had my car a yr yet, and i went full bolt ons to a custom turbo setup. Im not at 500 rwhp yet, but i just installed new valve springs and pushrods and will turn up the boost another 2 psi or so, and shouldn't have any problem being over 500.

Going from bolt ons to 440+ rwhp and 467 rwtq through a 4.10 and on a mustang dyno the car feels faster. does it scare me, no.... It scares everyone i take for a ride in it. i will be getting a 9 inch with a 3.25 gear or so, and want to hit 10's for now. Then i will build a motor, and get a th400 end up somehwere around 800rwhp and would like to run single digits..

I guess for me to get scared i have to be fighting to control the car, and keep it going strait.

Chris
Old 05-17-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
After I'm done with the car I'm going to get a 1000cc streetbike.
You might be the first person that was ever done wiith a car. That crap never ends.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:32 AM
9 Second Club

street bikes are slow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Making 500rwhp+? Does your car scare you at all? Are you happy with the HP?