Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger vs. Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:04 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluebird71
Yeah, sorry I meant 9.2:1 compression. If Magnuson made the new MP2300 roots blower for the f-bodies, that would probably be my favorite choice, but I don't think it will fit. I know the MP1200 Maggie can't hold a candle to the centrifugal Procharger in power making potential, but the torque and power under the curve is incredible. Not to mention that the sound that a roots blower makes is like music to my ears vs the screechy whining of the centrifugal setup. Since the centri makes more power up top, it would probably work great coming into a turn, winding into a lower gear and shooting the rpms up to power out of that turn. At the same time, however, a roots blower can keep that power and torque right on tap and make for more pull with less shifting. I need to decide exactly what I want before I order my new rear end so that I can go ahead and choose the right gear for my needs.
Don't forget about heat soak. Unless you only run one lap at a time, a roots blower will drop off a lot of power once it gets hot. An '03-'04 Cobra will lose 50 rwhp on my Mustang Chassis Dyno after the first run. Bob
Old 06-05-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thats a lot more than I thought. How about the ones with the built in intercoolers, do they have this problem as well?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, thats a lot more than I thought. How about the ones with the built in intercoolers, do they have this problem as well?
03-04 cobras have 'built in intercoolers'.

a nice thing about turbos in no thrown belts. road racing is much harder on belts than dragracing.

good luck.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TARZAN
Since you're wanting quick power, and you're more interested in road course than drag racing....I'd advise a nice dual BB turbo (to reduce spool time) or a smaller twins setup...Since you're generally under rev while at a roadcourse you shouldn't have problems falling out of boost often anyways, and with either of those setups, if you DID fall out, it wouldn't take long to fix it.

I've had 3 superchargers, and I love em....but a turbo won't sling a belt, its always there just like a s/c, and adjusting the boost doesn't require a pulley swap...

-Will
From what I have heard/read, the Prochargers have gotten a lot better as far as slinging belts. With an F1 making only moderate levels of its true power, and running an 8 to 10 rib setup, belt sling should not be that big of a problem. I usually hear more stories of belt sling when a smaller charger is being pushed to its limit with a tiny pulley.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Don't forget about heat soak. Unless you only run one lap at a time, a roots blower will drop off a lot of power once it gets hot. An '03-'04 Cobra will lose 50 rwhp on my Mustang Chassis Dyno after the first run. Bob
Thats due more to the intercooler system than anything.. Air to Water intercoolers arent really that great for road racing.. you'd be much better off with Air to Air for repeatable track times.

and the 03/04 cobra is also the old eaton design..

Why do you think the new ZR1 has a roots blower? its designed for scorching lap times

On a road course, i'll take smooth consistent and repeatable power every day of the week..

Last edited by DanO; 06-08-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure the new MP2300 Magnacharger is what is on the new ZR1.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am debating between a kenne bell 2.8 and a single turbo. Ihave an ls1/t56 rx7 with 4.10 gears and a 2500lb curb weight. Goal for it is to run as high of a trap speed as possible, and then work on bringing my ETs down more and more as I sort the suspension.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by sciff5
I am debating between a kenne bell 2.8 and a single turbo. Ihave an ls1/t56 rx7 with 4.10 gears and a 2500lb curb weight. Goal for it is to run as high of a trap speed as possible, and then work on bringing my ETs down more and more as I sort the suspension.
The KB will whoop some *** for sure, instant tq is where you need it.

In all reality NA is where it is for road course, design the power band via cam around where you need to be for coming out of corners.

We had one car a customer decided to start road coursing that had big boost and meth with a centri blower. It works, but its not optimal, if it was then every proteam would have a poweradder as such.

Also the quick boost on boost off is going to give hell on the serp belt and stress the blower for sure, same with turbos.

From fueling perspective, the above car has basicly washed the rings out from the constant hosing of methanol, now i know this car has been beat on a few times a week for many weeks, but FI has no place in road racing.

We built a NA monster for the above customer and it should see a outing pretty soon to see where it should stand.

Check out the NA setup Katech did for a customer.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure the new MP2300 Magnacharger is what is on the new ZR1.
well.. its not 'technically' a magnacharger.. but yes, its the eaton R2300..

so.. all in all.. its the same internals...

but for 800hp.. all you need is the R1900
Old 06-08-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DanO
well.. its not 'technically' a magnacharger.. but yes, its the eaton R2300..

so.. all in all.. its the same internals...

but for 800hp.. all you need is the R1900
Will the R1900 or R2300 Eaton blower fit on an f-body car?
Old 10-19-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

On magnacharger's website the 112 is 5.36 inches tall and the 2300 is 5.52 inches tall. The LM speed kit supplies .75" K member spacers for the 112 kit, so I am sure you could just toss in an extra washer and the 2300 should fit.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't MTI have kit for our cars?
I would think NA is best with centrifical being second although there are many turbo car that do pretty good in the types of racing you are talking about..turbo porches as one example.

The key is to not have a big laggy system. Smaller single or twins would likely work fine and they have some very good boost controllers out now like ams 500 or 1000, eboost 2 that can help you control the turbos. You can also play with ar on the turbo to give more low end or more top end,etc.
I think for max predictibility you should have maybe stayed NA for this type of thing.
But your compression is pretty low from that now.

I am personally trying to build a pretty all around car in my 99. I went to a 408 to get better off boost and quicker spool.I stayed with pretty mellow cam. I am going to think 3.54 rear gears and likely a 3400 stall in a 4l80e. I have some handling and braking mods and my car is not a 1/4 mile car at all. I don't do hard core road racing or autocross though its just a street car.

The twin screws do seem to have a great powerband these days but centrificals are also pretty predictable in the way they make power.

Oh well pick something and let us know how it works out.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

the last hardcore road race car I saw was an old Porsche 911, slung way low to the ground, etc. Power output?

250hp.

from what I understand, you don't need big power to turn corners, you need big $$ suspension and frame. On the twisties its easy to have an engine that vastly overpowers the car its in or the driver that's handling it. Go NA like Bob suggested and forget about trying to manage boost vs blower/turbo stress in that kind of environment
Old 10-20-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

go with either the new TVS blowers from eaton\harrop, or go with a twin screw kenne bell. Loads of power instantly, doesnt fall off up top, doesnt heat up and lose power like the older roots 112-122 blowers.

Do it, do it.... do it.

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs. Turbo