Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSX is ready to be dropped in tomorrow (PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when u get the heads off you should get them steam cleaned or thouroughly cleaned so you can see the bare metal in the combustion chambers and up into the runners a little bit... that way you can get a good view of whats goin on with the valve seats. if you have to, you can get the stock valves ground so they have a known good flat surface to seat to the valve seats in the heads. you can probably go to any high school auto shop and they should have the setup. its not hard to do at all.... takes about a day or 2 to get done. hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck man just dont give up
Old 09-15-2008, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hell no, don't give up! I wish I had more than that to contribute but we are all rooting for ya.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by '00_Z
Hell no, don't give up! I wish I had more than that to contribute but we are all rooting for ya.
I'm not giving up, I'm just out of money I'll take the heads off, see why they are leaking and go from there.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Easiest way to check to see if they are leaking once you have them off (just to confirm) is flip them over, and put a little water in the chamber with a spark plug in the head, and see where the water's going. That's gonna tell you right away where the problem is.

Hopefully it's just a valve job to fix the problem... one thing to remember though, if you do a valve job and end up using the valves you have, they're gonna be preloading the valvespring a little less, and they will probably need a little shim to get the seat pressure where it should be.

I've seen someone forget that once, that caused all kinds of valve float issues that took a while to figure out.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of heads that there is nothing wrong with. They are stock nothing special... I would send them to you free of charge if you need. But again these are nothing special at all.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

By the way what type of heads did you buy?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
I have a set of heads that there is nothing wrong with. They are stock nothing special... I would send them to you free of charge if you need. But again these are nothing special at all.
Thanks for being so helpful. I have to check mine out first before I decide what to do. Mine are stock 317s with upgraded springs, retainers, seals and seats.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Easiest way to check to see if they are leaking once you have them off (just to confirm) is flip them over, and put a little water in the chamber with a spark plug in the head, and see where the water's going. That's gonna tell you right away where the problem is.

Hopefully it's just a valve job to fix the problem... one thing to remember though, if you do a valve job and end up using the valves you have, they're gonna be preloading the valvespring a little less, and they will probably need a little shim to get the seat pressure where it should be.

I've seen someone forget that once, that caused all kinds of valve float issues that took a while to figure out.
I'm hoping I can clean them myself because I don't want to dump money on a temp set of heads. I will eventually get 6 bolt heads that's why I may just wait till I can afford new heads rather than waste more money on these.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not do a leak down and try to pin point wheres its leaking from? I havent followed the entire thread but just reading peices.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
Why not do a leak down and try to pin point wheres its leaking from? I havent followed the entire thread but just reading peices.

x2

Also. Since your pushrods are out. That means the valves are all closed. Which in essence means you don't have to find TDC and then turn the engine 45 degrees for each cylinder after that. Just an FYI.... (means the process is easier)
Old 09-15-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would double checking your timing chain be easier than pulling heads? Or maybe check that when you get the blower off when or if you pull the heads. If your timing is off, that could possibly bend valves (if it is off by a lot). You'd probably hear the valves coming in contact with the pistons though it that was the case (clanking/clicking noise).
Old 09-15-2008, 03:40 PM
10 Second Club

Some of you guys are missing some facts. The timing chain is dot to dot, I clayed the pistons, no ptv problems. The bottom end is all new, never run, built by a great race engine builder. When doing the compression test with no push rods or rockers installed, rotating it by hand, I can feel it start to build compression and then hear it all hissing out the intake/exhaust valves. What reason is there to do a leak down? It seems pretty obvious that the used heads I got are ****. I just want to rip them off my car and hit the guy that sold them to me over the head with them. That's pretty shitty to sell bad parts, even more so such an important part. It's better I found it now rather than have them ******* up the engine and making no power and trouble shooting then. But that's why I just want to wait and get a good new set of 6 bolt heads. I don't want to go through this again. I still got the guys number that sold these to me, he actually works for gm. Once the heads are off I'm going to call him and see what he has to say about this. Imagine how much money I would of had to pay for all this labor if I wasn't doing my own work. It's bull ****.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is no joke... Good Luck buddy
Old 09-15-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rufretic
I tried doing a leak down but unfortunatly the compression checker I got has a check valve or something in the hose were it will only let the air flow one way. I thought I was getting compression when I hooked it up with 80 lbs of pressure and didn't hear any leaking. So I took it out of the head and then no air came out lol. I looked in the tube and there is a little thing like in a tires valve stem, if you push it then the air blows out. Anyway, it has to be leaking through the valves, where else could it be hissing out from? No matter where it's leaking, the heads have to come off so that's what I'm doing next. If I can get away with fixing them without spending much then I might still get the car finished, I'm just a little frustrated right now.
It's schrader valve, remove it and you should be good... You can get a schrader valve removal tool at an auto parts store cheap. They just unscrew and you can then fill the cylinder with air.

Just make sure you start with low pressure and then slowly raise it. If the piston is up, the pressure is going to push it down. You only need enough pressure to hear the air escaping. Listen at the exhaust outlet, and at the throttle body. If it's coming out either one you have just determined the source of the leak. If you only hear it out of the breather, dont worry about that cylinder unless you get ALOT of air passing out the breather.

I agree with alot of the other people who have chimed in saying to lap the valve. If they are not bent, this should do the trick... Worst case any debris in there could have pitted the seats... In this case, lapping the valves will not cure the problem.

Last time I bent some valves, I could see light around the seats when looking at the combustion chamber side of the valves with the heads completely assembled. The bad thing here is that if your compression numbers are that low with oil, you more than likely do have bent valves and its now time to start harrasing the person who sold you the heads.

Good luck man, DONT GIVE UP, these are issues that believe it or not are very common with a new setup. Especially when that setup involves used parts.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Just one more for the: DON'T GIVE UP wagon.

I've been following your build since the begining and am flat out amazed at the fact that, with your admitted level of expertise, you embarked on such a build. That's not a chop either....that is a major PROP to you

You gotta be very proud of yourself for getting to this point and I think there are many members on here that would tell you the exact same thing. As several folks have said already, you are gonna have to put it together and take it apart many more times and that....that is what makes this a hobby.

Personally, I have had my project going for over 2 1/2 years. My motor has been under construction for 19 months (I know, I know) and it's finally ready. I have to drop it into the car, mock up the intercooler piping then, yank it all back out and take it to the dyno. Once it's tuned, load it back up, drive it back and put it all back in the car. Then....if everything is working properly, start the chassis dyno process. So I can identify with the amount of time you are and have been spending.

Basically, working on a high level build/project like this = P.I.T.A. But then, one day when it all comes together, it's gonna knock your socks off. Keep your chin up! I'd donate to your cause if I had any extra $$ myself but, like most everyone on here, I'm scraping pennies to do this stuff to. We should all have our heads examined for the amount of time and $$ we spend on our hobby. On a side note, my wife thinks it's hilarious about your girlfriend and her helping you out. She (my wife) has spent many nights watching TV or movies while I'm out in the shop creating or destroying something on the car so...hats off to your girl too.

So, with my unsolicited .02 almost complete, check this out:

PERFECTION

Perfection, for every one, it means something different, and that is its beauty.

The idea of what is perfection has been debated by the world’s most beautiful minds since Aristotle first attempted to define it.

Perfect is that which is true and complete. Perfect is that which is so good that nothing of the kind could be better. And perfect is that which has attained its purpose.

Humans, however, progress. Today’s most perfect violinist will someday be eclipsed by another. Another who will achieve musical bliss our minds simply cannot yet grasp.

At any time we may bear witness to perfection.

No individual, no leader, no organization is perfect. It is that “intent to achieve that ideal” which takes us one step closer to perfection. That is what makes it perfect. That is what makes it beautiful. That is what inspires.

We each have a dream. It’s our desire to be the best. On this day, at this time, for us, that’s perfect. And that’s the thing about life. It doesn’t matter what you’ve done before, it’s about what you do today.

Be inspired by the pursuit of perfection today. Whatever that means to you. Whether it’s to be better at your own job, to be a better friend, to be a better parent, strive for it..... and maybe others will too.

#################

Keep the faith, it will come together and your gonna have a "One of one" you can really be proud of.

Cheers Brother

Kev

Last edited by K9Kev; 09-15-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a leakdown test. The leaking air noise you hear is likely going past the rings. They don't seal well on a cold engine that hasn't been ran in. Air goes by the rings, into the crankcase and out through the heads.

If you want to borrow our leakdown tester feel free to come by and grab it, but as others have said you could just remove the valve from your air line and put compressed air directly into the cylinder.

Also, you need to scan the car while you are cranking it so you can be sure everything is working correctly.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Banned

Hope you get it working soon, it looks bad ***!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Do a leakdown test. The leaking air noise you hear is likely going past the rings. They don't seal well on a cold engine that hasn't been ran in. Air goes by the rings, into the crankcase and out through the heads.

If you want to borrow our leakdown tester feel free to come by and grab it, but as others have said you could just remove the valve from your air line and put compressed air directly into the cylinder.

Also, you need to scan the car while you are cranking it so you can be sure everything is working correctly.
Thanks Jim.
I can use my compressor to do the leak down but what exactly am I looking for once I have pressure going into thcylinder? Are you saying it might not be reading enough compression just because it's a new engine? Because if that's the case I would really like to not have to remove the heads. I can put in shorter pushrods and see if it starts. When I did the compression test with the 7.4 pushrods I got 0 compression, without the pushrods in it went up to 45 lbs. Maybe the pushrods were too long and hanging the valves open like originally thought. I just got into a big panic when I only got 30-45 lbs of pressure in the cylinders with the valves closed completely but if that's normal for a new engine, maybe I just need the shorter pushrods and need to let it run for a little to seal the rings?

Also, I did scan it, not while I was tryng to start it though, just with the ignition on and the only code it's throwing is p0107, Map sensor low signal, I think I need a new map sensor. I was getting spark and fuel while trying to start it but 0 compression.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the inspiring words. I'm really trying to keep a positive attitude, it's hard when things don't go as planned. I'm not giving up, just trying to regain my composure lol. I'll get back in there and get it running, just not sure when and it's a little overwhelming when I have all you guys anxious for start up. Of course my impatience is the worst part

Originally Posted by K9Kev
Just one more for the: DON'T GIVE UP wagon.

I've been following your build since the begining and am flat out amazed at the fact that, with your admitted level of expertise, you embarked on such a build. That's not a chop either....that is a major PROP to you

You gotta be very proud of yourself for getting to this point and I think there are many members on here that would tell you the exact same thing. As several folks have said already, you are gonna have to put it together and take it apart many more times and that....that is what makes this a hobby.

Personally, I have had my project going for over 2 1/2 years. My motor has been under construction for 19 months (I know, I know) and it's finally ready. I have to drop it into the car, mock up the intercooler piping then, yank it all back out and take it to the dyno. Once it's tuned, load it back up, drive it back and put it all back in the car. Then....if everything is working properly, start the chassis dyno process. So I can identify with the amount of time you are and have been spending.

Basically, working on a high level build/project like this = P.I.T.A. But then, one day when it all comes together, it's gonna knock your socks off. Keep your chin up! I'd donate to your cause if I had any extra $$ myself but, like most everyone on here, I'm scraping pennies to do this stuff to. We should all have our heads examined for the amount of time and $$ we spend on our hobby. On a side note, my wife thinks it's hilarious about your girlfriend and her helping you out. She (my wife) has spent many nights watching TV or movies while I'm out in the shop creating or destroying something on the car so...hats off to your girl too.

So, with my unsolicited .02 almost complete, check this out:

PERFECTION

Perfection, for every one, it means something different, and that is its beauty.

The idea of what is perfection has been debated by the world’s most beautiful minds since Aristotle first attempted to define it.

Perfect is that which is true and complete. Perfect is that which is so good that nothing of the kind could be better. And perfect is that which has attained its purpose.

Humans, however, progress. Today’s most perfect violinist will someday be eclipsed by another. Another who will achieve musical bliss our minds simply cannot yet grasp.

At any time we may bear witness to perfection.

No individual, no leader, no organization is perfect. It is that “intent to achieve that ideal” which takes us one step closer to perfection. That is what makes it perfect. That is what makes it beautiful. That is what inspires.

We each have a dream. It’s our desire to be the best. On this day, at this time, for us, that’s perfect. And that’s the thing about life. It doesn’t matter what you’ve done before, it’s about what you do today.

Be inspired by the pursuit of perfection today. Whatever that means to you. Whether it’s to be better at your own job, to be a better friend, to be a better parent, strive for it..... and maybe others will too.

#################

Keep the faith, it will come together and your gonna have a "One of one" you can really be proud of.

Cheers Brother

Kev

Quick Reply: LSX is ready to be dropped in tomorrow (PICS!)